What did you do to your Z this week?

johnymd

Club Member
Started and finished the welding for the RHD conversion on the new project.

This involved removing all the brackets that were in the way (both in the engine bay and in the car), welding in the recycled RHD baulkhead plate and inner strengthener( 10mm lower than factory to avoid making clearance for the pedal box), fitting the 3 pedal box mounts to the car, modifying the pedal box steering mount section to be in the correct location, and finally test fitting the pedal box and steering column. All in all a successful days work.

There are many different ways to achieve the RHD conversion on these cars and each have there merit. IMO lowering the plate a little and raising the steering mount section of the pedal box allows you to get the column in the right location without having to cut, hammer and reweld the scuttle area for clearance.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Started and finished the welding for the RHD conversion on the new project.

This involved removing all the brackets that were in the way (both in the engine bay and in the car), welding in the recycled RHD baulkhead plate and inner strengthener( 10mm lower than factory to avoid making clearance for the pedal box), fitting the 3 pedal box mounts to the car, modifying the pedal box steering mount section to be in the correct location, and finally test fitting the pedal box and steering column. All in all a successful days work.

There are many different ways to achieve the RHD conversion on these cars and each have there merit. IMO lowering the plate a little and raising the steering mount section of the pedal box allows you to get the column in the right location without having to cut, hammer and reweld the scuttle area for clearance.

John, I'd like to understand that a bit more with pics. It's the steering column location I'm interested in. My blue 240 was converted to RHD and the steering column sits a little lower (1cm?) than normal and has a spacer to the dash bracket. I asked DJ about this and he said he might have used a 260Z column. So is the 260Z dash deeper or was it another reason?

johnymd

Club Member
When you try to fit a RHD peal box in a LHD car you will find that the scuttle is about 20mm lower on the other side. You can mount the new baulkhead panel a little lower to take up some of this but it still wont line up with the dash and the column will be sitting a bit lower. You can modify the scuttle with a bit of cutting, hammering and welding to get the pedal box higher but I didn't want to do this. With the pedal box bolted up it then tilts back by a tiny amount but at the column mount point it becomes exaggerated so will be quite a bit lower. I have cut this section of the pedal box and raised it around 20mm to put it back in the correct position.

I didn't take any pictures today but I will when I'm at the workshop next week and add the pics to my build thread for this car.

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
This week I have taken the radiator off taken it for 're core and come back all new and looks the part still

Attachments

• 20180713_124807.jpg
    20180713_124807.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180713_145844.jpg
    20180713_145844.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180709_150252.jpg
    20180709_150252.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 17

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
What brand of sun cream? Might have one lying around and I have a lamp for the project car that needs a new lens!

It's this one Mr Richie

bfa1c47dfe5c5343bf82b05015091c64.jpg

Pm me your address and I will mail you one - we go thorough that stuff like water with the current weather!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
This week I have taken the radiator off taken it for 're core and come back all new and looks the part still

So is it black now or silver? It looks from the pics as if it came out black, re-cored and painted silver and then painted black and refitted? Or is it just me getting confused?

Huw

Club Member
Been lapping the valves on a head I’m building. Always a joy and the garage is like an oven. Beer time I think

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
So is it black now or silver? It looks from the pics as if it came out black, re-cored and painted silver and then painted black and refitted? Or is it just me getting confused?

The bottom pics was before and tbe top one is all done ready get fitted it stayed black never changed colour

Still same radiator re core was 200 pound all in

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
Also took it to local gala after bleeding radiator up and we came 3rd in show

Attachments

• 20180714_144948.jpg
    20180714_144948.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 20

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
Few pics bet 20 cars altogether

Attachments

• 20180714_135510.jpg
    20180714_135510.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20180714_133443.jpg
    20180714_133443.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 28
  • 20180714_133527.jpg
    20180714_133527.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 26

status

Well-Known Forum User
Six exhaust manifold studs helicoiled and new ones put in and exhaust now hanging ok after our expedition to Le man,now waiting for new windscreen the into body shop

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
How fast did you go over that kerb? [emoji15]
Six exhaust manifold studs helicoiled and new ones put in and exhaust now hanging ok after our expedition to Le man,now waiting for new windscreen the into body shop

status

Well-Known Forum User
It was the Train that done the damage to the exhaust the kerb done me spoiler,my suspension was compressed as I was on half lock trying to get off which is how the damage happened,nothing that can’t be sorted,windscreen in order and to cap it all off when I clumped the ground with the exhaust the force of it jolted the head which resulted in the manifold studs being ripped which we think might be the cause of wot we suspect is the head gasket gone,got to do a pressure test

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I never imagined I would ever say this, EVER!!!

I am loving the DVLA ....
e3a09c791c4e6226baf3dd9365b6c913.jpg

... and didn't even apply or ask for it!!!

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
£7.99 from Aldi.
Not that I expect it to catch fire!
What with the tow strap 2 weeks ago, it must be safety month.
DSC_0017.jpeg