a 'Nut and Bolt' restoration. A how to guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
Right.....

I think you are actually missing the Point entirely!

As I have mentioned before the brass bush in the shift lever is a press fit!!!!

It takes some force in a vice/press to put in into place, and subsequently to move it , you would also need to use a vice/press, and press it out!

This would require direct lateral force!!!!

The shifter on the other hand in operations does not exert direct lateral force on the bush, but angular.... Not only do I not need to explain to you the mechanics of the loss of efficiency of a force acting at an angle, but also lets not ignore the fact that the shift motion of angular force exterted on the bush is so small it is negligable in comparison to the direct lateral force that would be required to dislodge it!!!!!!!!

Ffs!!!!

If I has made the bush as a loose fitting piece of junk, then I would agree that it would require shoulders either side!

But since I have also made the bushing a snug/tight fit into the gearbox linkage arm, there is no need for the shoulder......

I have said my part.
Don, get yourself out to the lathe and fire up a couple of 'top hat' bushes and kill this debate. Apparently it doesn't matter what grade of 'brass' you use or the tolerances or surface finish. In fact, bash out a few extras and sell them online. I know a guy with a really good rep that's prepared to recommend stuff without knowing these sort of crap details.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Whoah.

1. as you are implying compromise their function. -----------I'm not and I didn't.
2.way back in this exchange-.'------------------------------------It wasn't way back.' 15 posts ago and all very recently.
3.What "backtracking"? I posted a link to aftermarket brass bushings - ---------------------------------------------You implied by your post these would be a an option, no material , tolerance, or surface finish spec nothing, they could be garbage.
4. If a single, straight, non-shouldered bushing was a good 'upgrade' for the B-type shifter mechanism then - I reckon, but you probably won't - that it might have been come up with elsewhere before now. So I'll ask you straight - can YOU provide any evidence of that? Any vendors? Any home-made users apart from Tonto over here?-------------------------My quote re Dons design," So I guess, today, that very simple mechanism could be changed and improved, given no cost restrictions, without in any way denigrating the original design(ers). Don has, in this case, failed to do that."

I'm really a bit miffed that you are trying and failing to misrepresent what I have said. By by the way, naysayer still doesn't have a hyphen.

In your vernacular:

1. Oh yes you did. Good game this, isn't it?
2. I reckon my link to the aftermarket parts was towards the beginning of this exchange on shifter bushings, so I've no idea what you are on about when you talk of "backtracking". If anyone is backtracking it's you, as you just went back and added another couple of paragraphs to post #2196, hence making my reply to it require an edit too. But that would of course be "backtracking", wouldn't it?
3. Once again, it's about the shape, not the material. If you're hot on material, ask Tonto over here for the composition of his bushing. Or is that off message for you?
4. You're going nowhere useful with this. All the time you're getting into me for metallurgical certification and "backtracking" (wtf?) Tonto over here thinks you're patting him on the head, and is clicking a 'Like' for your posts. He clearly thinks you approve, even if you don't (or maybe you do?). Maybe you need to state your position more clearly? You know, as in actually say something that's black and white for a change...
5. Yes, there's more! I'd have a hard time 'misrepresenting' you, as you're a conundrum. All I'm getting is a kind of 'my enemy's enemy is my friend' type of schtick where you're occasionally going to have trouble keeping all the plates spinning. This looks like one of those occasions. You appear to be more interested in somehow 'proving' something against me than in properly critiquing his bushing. I repeat, he seems to think you approve.
6. If you're a grammar and speeling pedant (hey, club the join) your target selection isn't really up to snuff, is it? Signing off on a post about engineering form and function (and metallurgy too, now that you've brought it up) with a snarky comment on my spelling - when some of Tonto's posts are bordering on being semi-literate - looks a bit forced. Yes, you don't like me. I get it.
7. I'm still all ears for a similar example of a single, unshouldered (hey, should that be hyphenated Prof?) aftermarket bushing for the B-type transmission shifter mechanism. Got any cards to play? Any expert engineering-led critique of Tonto's last post regarding "direct lateral force", "loss of efficiency of a force acting on an angle" etc? I don't see any answer to my question on the machining/sizing of the striking guide and my inferred link to the shoulders on the stock bushings. Probably best if I don't hold my breath, eh?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Don, get yourself out to the lathe and fire up a couple of 'top hat' bushes and kill this debate. Apparently it doesn't matter what grade of 'brass' you use or the tolerances or surface finish. In fact, bash out a few extras and sell them online. I know a guy with a really good rep that's prepared to recommend stuff without knowing these sort of crap details.

You definitely just jumped the shark. Apparently my link to an aftermarket bushing set, posted as an example of shape, implies that I recommend that product's metallurgy and surface finish. Heady stuff.

Mind you, it's not bad going when I can be accused of accepting only the original factory nylon bushes (what grade? what surface finish?) and these - obviously garbage - "brass" (what gra..... oh, hang on. Are they actually brass...?) bushings in the same evening.

Football's back tomorrow. Your thread awaits.

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
Fcuk its getting a bit difficult now, had a few beers.
1.as is
2. Soz.
3.'Shape' is not very engineering, you mean design I think, shape is for artists.
4.His design is poor.
5. I'll take conundrum as a compliment. My quote "Yeah, I get to agree with Albrecht". In my limited experience of forums it's always good to agree with "the cleverest person on the forum".
6. I'm not a pedant about spelling (well, I am actually but I don't usually pick people up on it). It was more a reference to a post you made earlier about, me, being ,in modern terminnology, a 'snowflake', 'everyone getting a medal cos they might get PTSD if they don't. My values are quite old fashioned cos I'm old as fcuk and the picking up of the spelling was to demonstrate some good old fashioned proper standards. Don't take up phsycoanalysis over the internet as a job cos you're not good at it. (I think I just made up that word but you get the gist).
7. No there isn't (well probably there is, have you seen some of the stuff on the interweb) from anyone with a decent understanding of science. What was your question on the machining/striking guide?

In your vernacular:

1. Oh yes you did. Good game this, isn't it?
2. I reckon my link to the aftermarket parts was towards the beginning of this exchange on shifter bushings, so I've no idea what you are on about when you talk of "backtracking". If anyone is backtracking it's you, as you just went back and added another couple of paragraphs to post #2196, hence making my reply to it require an edit too. But that would of course be "backtracking", wouldn't it?
3. Once again, it's about the shape, not the material. If you're hot on material, ask Tonto over here for the composition of his bushing. Or is that off message for you?
4. You're going nowhere useful with this. All the time you're getting into me for metallurgical certification and "backtracking" (wtf?) Tonto over here thinks you're patting him on the head, and is clicking a 'Like' for your posts. He clearly thinks you approve, even if you don't (or maybe you do?). Maybe you need to state your position more clearly? You know, as in actually say something that's black and white for a change...
5. Yes, there's more! I'd have a hard time 'misrepresenting' you, as you're a conundrum. All I'm getting is a kind of 'my enemy's enemy is my friend' type of schtick where you're occasionally going to have trouble keeping all the plates spinning. This looks like one of those occasions. You appear to be more interested in somehow 'proving' something against me than in properly critiquing his bushing. I repeat, he seems to think you approve.
6. If you're a grammar and speeling pedant (hey, club the join) your target selection isn't really up to snuff, is it? Signing off on a post about engineering form and function (and metallurgy too, now that you've brought it up) with a snarky comment on my spelling - when some of Tonto's posts are bordering on being semi-literate - looks a bit forced. Yes, you don't like me. I get it.
7. I'm still all ears for a similar example of a single, unshouldered (hey, should that be hyphenated Prof?) aftermarket bushing for the B-type transmission shifter mechanism. Got any cards to play? Any expert engineering-led critique of Tonto's last post regarding "direct lateral force", "loss of efficiency of a force acting on an angle" etc? I don't see any answer to my question on the machining/sizing of the striking guide and my inferred link to the shoulders on the stock bushings. Probably best if I don't hold my breath, eh?

Last edited:

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
You definitely just jumped the shark. Apparently my link to an aftermarket bushing set, posted as an example of shape, implies that I recommend that product's metallurgy and surface finish. Heady stuff.

Mind you, it's not bad going when I can be accused of accepting only the original factory nylon bushes (what grade? what surface finish?) and these - obviously garbage - "brass" (what gra..... oh, hang on. Are they actually brass...?) bushings in the same evening.

Football's back tomorrow. Your thread awaits.
Shite, posted as an example of what he should've got. If he said he'd bought and fitted them we'd not have had a peep out out of you. Despite the fact they could be shit.
Doubt I'll be posting on the football thread till England get humped.

Last edited:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
If I may interject chaps, I get what albrecht is getting at. The reason I do is because when I bought my car it was completely missing the top hat bushes.

There was definitely slop down the gate (1st to 2nd) which Don has eliminated with his fine fabrication. (And I am envious of your lathe!!)

But the slop "across" the gate needs the gap between the ears and the sides of the lever filled by the shoulders on the bush. It also eliminates buzz or vibration caused by the lever wobbling about between the "ears" when in gear.

e77867a916a1768fbfe9f4bd82845498.jpg

The bushes as you imagine transformed the gear change going across the gate.

Mr Don given you have good skills (and a lathe I am still envious of) why don't you try making the top hats and try the difference to prove it to yourself? Or put in some washers, of the right size, with your current bush and try with and without to prove the concept? Washers of course may buzz but you will get the feel for it with and without.

Unless of course what you fabricated is as wide as the whole width inside the ears? Can't tell from the photos.

Last edited:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Shite, posted as an example of what he should've got. If he said he'd bought and fitted them we'd not have had a peep out out of you. Despite the fact they could be shit.

I posted that link as an example of what Tonto over here should have turned up on his lathe. The shape. Yes, THE SHAPE. If he can turn, and has access to a lathe, he can make them. Why would he need to buy them? If he'd made something the right SHAPE in the first place then, indeed, you'd not have "had a peep out of" me. Simple isn't it?

You wittering on about "backtracking" and metallurgy has little to do with anything except your target selection. Rob Gaskin mentioned that Tonto could have bought a pair of nylon ones, but I don't see you questioning that.

If you really want to make this all about me, then why not start a thread dedicated to the subject? You might even be able to squeeze in a bit of amateur "phsycoanalysis" (sic). Go on, fill yer boots.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
But the slop "across" the gate needs the gap between the ears and the sides of the lever filled by the shoulders on the bush. It also eliminates buzz or vibration caused by the lever wobbling about between the "ears" when in gear.

e77867a916a1768fbfe9f4bd82845498.jpg

The bushes as you imagine transformed the gear change going across the gate.

Mr Don given you have good skills (and a lathe I am still envious of) why don't you try making the top hats and try the difference to prove it to yourself? Or put in some washers, of the right size, with your current bush and try with and without to prove the concept? Washers of course may buzz but you will get the feel for it with and without.

Unless of course what you fabricated is as wide as the whole width inside the ears? Can't tell from the photos.

The problem with his 'design' (one for Pete there...) is that it multiplies the side forces on the control lever pin, and those forces are going to look for the weakest point. I reckon the weakest point might end up being the circlip on the pin, but there will be undue stress on the ears of the striking guide too because the one piece bushing is missing those shoulders, which are designed to spread the load. The striking guide is a casting. Need I say more?

There's also no real bushing effect in the fore and aft movement plane from the one piece design because it is missing those shoulders (your red coloured areas). This will quickly wear the bushing as its ends are butting up against the holes on the striking guide ears. It's a failure to understand the form and function of the original, factory, parts.

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
I posted that link as an example of what Tonto over here should have turned up on his lathe. The shape. Yes, THE SHAPE. If he can turn, and has access to a lathe, he can make them. Why would he need to buy them? If he'd made something the right SHAPE in the first place then, indeed, you'd not have "had a peep out of" me. Simple isn't it?

You wittering on about "backtracking" and metallurgy has little to do with anything except your target selection. Rob Gaskin mentioned that Tonto could have bought a pair of nylon ones, but I don't see you questioning that.

If you really want to make this all about me, then why not start a thread dedicated to the subject? You might even be able to squeeze in a bit of amateur "phsycoanalysis" (sic). Go on, fill yer boots.

This was my first post on the bush subject after you posted about the bush being crap and Don replied calling you a numpty.
"Yeah, I get to agree with Albrecht. That bush is only really suitable as a temporary 'get by' solution. The quote above (the one calling you a numpty) is bollocks".

Last edited:

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
Nae recent posts. You too busy cruising in the short or has the gearstick imploded in your hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.