Photoshoot 70s 2.4 litre sports cars at Brocket hall

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
'240Z' vs '911S' vs 'Dino'

What is a '240Z' ? I think you need to look at the entire family and understand that the '240Z' was but one part of a complicated formula of similar DNA-ed cars that Nissan built for the world market....

The 911 is bound to be 'the best all round' car - it's the only one with 4x seats for one.

I appreciate all of them - I simply don't get blown away because one now has several zeros behind the price tag or was seen (here) to be racing a lot - btw, where is the Dino's pedigree ?

Of course the 911 was seen racing here in Europe it was built here, parts are here, still are - it's the logical choice to go club-racing....and join the fanboyz that take turns to nip down at 2 in the morning to place their towels around the pool.

Someone can shine a million spotlights on these cars, they'll shine, people'll go ohh, ahh want one of them.....and I'll be the one looking in the shadows for the overlooked, under-rated car that nobody sees on the roads to really love.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
The Porsche raced and rallied, so did the Z..........where was the Dino ?

Entered in the 1972 Le Mans 24hrs, and finished 17th overall. You'll remember that was the year that Rob Grant and Martin Birrane failed to qualify in their 240Z...

246GTs also took part in the '69 Sebring 12hrs, '71 Nurburgring 1000kms, '71 Targa Florio and '75 Giro D'Italia.

Not as illustrious as it might be, but the elephant (prancing horse) in the room is surely that Ferrari as a manufacturer doesn't need to prove anything to anyone about it's racing pedigree. The Dino certainly had a pretty good bloodline for its engineering and styling, and Ferrari themselves simply chose not to race it.

I think it's fair to say that all three cars could stand on their own merits. Far more interesting from my point of view in comparisons such as these are market specs and market prices when new. A '240Z' - as we have discussed many times - isn't just *one* thing, and they certainly were not *one* price. The same applies to the 911S model to some extent. The outcome could very well depend on the exact specs tested. No disprespect to tjrvp, but I wonder how that question was addressed with regard to his particular car?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
So you have to race and rally THAT model for the car to have a pedigree ... okaaay ...
For a competition pedigree - yes.

Moving on, yes - I feel cars should always be compared to similar period priced cars and I believe that in the UK, the Capri 3.0 would have taken a lot of beating. In the States, I confess my ignorance of price comparisons to domestic market sports models.

All that said, nice, original article idea and gets a Z in the press again which is all good - gotta be seen to be appreciated and coveted.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Yes, move on quickly Sean! Albrecht's knowledge is far better than mine for sure - I think he answered your question more than adequately!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Mike, your opinion and mine have just as much validity as that of Alan's. I did appreciate the titbit of the Dino's race participation - always keen to learn but I find it hard to think of a better value for money and practical classic sportscar than a 240Z today.....I feel priveldged to own and soon (I hope) to use one regularly......although not in central London - I prefer our open roads.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Entered in the 1972 Le Mans 24hrs, and finished 17th overall. You'll remember that was the year that Rob Grant and Martin Birrane failed to qualify in their 240Z........

Alan did you know that Martin Birrane died last week?