Toyota Celica

JK240

Club Member
Just spent a relaxed day with the 968 at our local Lions charity classic car show in Grasmere and the absolute car of the show was a gorgeously original Toyota Celica 2.8i Supra.

Great story behind the car too, spoke to the owner who ran it as his daily in the late 1980’s and early ‘90s, then sold it to buy a house and had a company car. Roll on 17 years and he’s looking for a weekend project so he bought an Autotrader mag and the page flops open on his old car about half an hour from home. So he paid £300 for it and brought it home, a couple of paint jobs since he did but such a beautiful car.

The picture doesn’t do it justice and I wish I’d taken a few more, everything works even the electronic display and the fuel gauge that displays mor detail when the tank gets to a quarter full.

Think I could love one of these very much...!!

D2_A04746_284_F_48_E8_90_E7_D34863_EA2100.jpg

Last edited:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi JK, yes probably an interesting car but just look at those square contours.
That front end is ugly and dated tbh.

Did you hear it running - standard injected cars can be too 'clinical'.

Only a Z will satisfy you again.

JK240

Club Member
Hi JK, yes probably an interesting car but just look at those square contours.
That front end is ugly and dated tbh.

Did you hear it running - standard injected cars can be too 'clinical'.
Ha ha Rob, I love that Squared-off look, I’m 10 or so years younger than you remember and so that 80’s look does it for me, the 968 is very angular and muscular at the back end, think Quattro, 6R4, etc, etc.
But no I didn’t hear it running tbh, but the look was beautiful, I remember a couple of years after I bought the Sam one was for sale locally but as always I didn’t have the £4K spare and still kick myself for not finding it.

I think they're great, a much more resolved design than Nissan was putting out at the time.

I'd also like a wide body Starion. As before though, a BMW Z3M coupe would be top of my list still.

Hope you're enjoying the 968.

Last edited:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Always liked the Supra, the Starion is not bad though.......but give me a 280ZXTurbo or even a Z31.

jimyj

Club Member
Those are a great car, and wish i had kept just one that passed through my hands in the early 90,s , little did i know they would all dissapear . And dont get me started on Mk2 RS2000 .....

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
My uncle had a Celica 2.8i Supra in black, back in the day. Was a v nice car but in no way close to an S30 IMHO. The S30 has so much class, even if it was a cheap'ish car new.

uk66fastback

Club Member
You've got to love that Toyota precisely BECAUSE it has the 'Angles of the 80s'® ... I slap about in my 944 and it throws up whenever we see a Nissan Juke it is so ugly ...

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I actually really like these, I think some of the 80's cars look great as boxy as they are. The Mk1 MR2 for example looks fantastic particularly in its supercharged two tone form!

There's something to be said for boxy shaped cars as I still really like Datsun 510's and they really aren't good looking cars....

I actually really like these, I think some of the 80's cars look great as boxy as they are. The Mk1 MR2 for example looks fantastic particularly in its supercharged two tone form!

There's something to be said for boxy shaped cars as I still really like Datsun 510's and they really aren't good looking cars....

There's a lot to be said for box shaped cars. Hakosuka.