What did you do to your Z this week?

atomman

Club Member
Lovely video - I was enjoying the ride too!

On a road like that it seems silly to put 'bend' chevrons on every corner and tbh a lot were obscured by bushes.

Shame it was so busy with other cars!

What diff ratio are you running now?

I think the chevrons are there more for the bikers,

it's great that on a sunny Sunday afternoon you can still find quiet roads in the Beacons :)

diff is standard open 3.54 at the moment

toopy

Club Member
Decided to give the carbs a fettle

Partial strip down before removal

IMG_0073.JPG

Replaced the hose from the float chamber to the jet, with some fresh moped/bike fuel hose

IMG_0064.JPG

The removed hose is the same stuff as the new, i replaced it about 4 years ago, and as you can see in this pic it has hardened and shrunk considerably. I haven't done a lot of miles, so it's just heat related deterioration and is now quite stiff, compared to the new which is very supple.

IMG_0065.JPG

When people talk about the shoulder of the needle being level with the base of the piston and not the groove, this is how it should look

IMG_0068.JPG

toopy

Club Member
Found this while looking for some carb to manifold gaskets.

Hitachi SU HJG46W 1 copy.jpg
Hitachi SU HJG46W 2 copy.jpg

Never realised/noticed that the damper piston has marks on it for oil level before!! which means mine has been over filled for years, as the recommended, fill to the top of the lower tube advice means there is too much according to the marks.
Which would explain why there was some oil sitting on the inside of the piston/suction chamber.

Also hadn't realised the damper rod plastic cap also has a fibre type washer, prised mine off, as i had a rebuild kit which has several washers in it, and they fit perfectly!

IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG

toopy

Club Member
Also managed for the first time ever to close the bonnet on a screw driver!

small crack in the paint now on the topside of the bonnet :confused:

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
Also managed for the first time ever to close the bonnet on a screw driver!

small crack in the paint now on the topside of the bonnet :confused:
aw man that sucks, i left a spanner on the crank of my volkswagon once and cranked it over, it flew off and hit the bonnet putting a reverse dent in it:eek:
i keep a tool bag with me now and put all tools in it when not in use as its too tempting to leave them lying around in harms way.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I left a spanner on my Z pulley once. Started the car and it hit the chassis leg and undid the pulley - no harm done thankfully.

There is more to Z ownership than dents and scratches. I have scratched the door of my blue car with step ladders but hey ho it still drives well!

When I owned my 370Z I was paranoid about knocks etc it spoilt ownership - enjoy!

uk66fastback

Club Member
I was so paranoid about the paint on my fastback I got rid of it! Well, that and the drone from the exhaust which I could not alleviate ...

I got some wood down from the top of the garage the other day and SO NEARLY dropped a bit of 2x4 thin end down onto the 240's bonnet from a height of about three feet ... I would NOT have been happy, believe me.

What have I done on the Z - nothing.

Jay.

Club Member
Removed the door card to see why my window was rattling, proceeded to accidentally collapse the window mechanism and after fixing it back together it appears my interior door handle is no longer working. Wasn't even able to stop the window rattling as it's missing the felt/rubber inside the channel!

1 step forwards, 2 steps back.

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
ive got to take the headlight bowls out at somepoint to paint and replace the seals, they were a pain to get in the first place so not looking forward to it.
not quite what ive done this week but its what im doing next week lol

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
Mainly this weekend I've been building a car shelter, having a back box delivered, taking some poor photos and being careful about my spelling.

Attachments

• IMG_20180617_231506.jpg
    IMG_20180617_231506.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20180617_223046.jpg
    IMG_20180617_223046.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 27

toopy

Club Member
Re-fitted my carbs and balanced as best i could with a flow meter thingy, jets set at approx 2 turns but im unsure to be honest if thats right, seems to run ok, although its not what i would call a perfectly smooth idle!
Enriching the mixture, even significantly, doesn't seem to make any difference, so set back to 2 turns, even with relatively new jets and SM needles i think the carbs are just a bit knackered.

Will check the timing next, have a light, but have never done it before!

TimW

Club Member
Nice to hear the Sam shoot off up the A5 the other day Rob... Looked sharp, turned a few heads n sounded good!

Been working on a tune up again... Nice/best result thus far..

Also changed damper oil to Millers Pistoneeze 20w50 from the new 3-in-one. Nice result, much smoother of acceleration.

Next step is what I suppose is the ultimate.. 1 Penny Piece at 750 RPM... IDK, I've got that stuck in my head from somewhere.... Comments welcome haha... ;)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Nice to hear the Sam shoot off up the A5 the other day Rob... Looked sharp, turned a few heads n sounded good!

Been working on a tune up again... Nice/best result thus far..

Also changed damper oil to Millers Pistoneeze 20w50 from the new 3-in-one. Nice result, much smoother of acceleration.

Next step is what I suppose is the ultimate.. 1 Penny Piece at 750 RPM... IDK, I've got that stuck in my head from somewhere.... Comments welcome haha... ;)

Hi Tim, I didn't intend to be a boy racer but I'm not a total 'old fart' just yet. It is a bit loud - wouldn't pass a noise test on a track day.

Your tuning is impressive. RIDDLER will be crying into his beer when he sees this.

status

Well-Known Forum User
Nice piccy Rob,couple of electrical things to do before Le Mans and a good wash,the car not me,get some miles on it to test the s14a box as still not got to test properly needs a rolling rd session as It kangaroos at low speeds since putting box in but that can wait till next year when I put my different engine in

Nice piccy Rob,couple of electrical things to do before Le Mans and a good wash,the car not me,get some miles on it to test the s14a box as still not got to test properly needs a rolling rd session as It kangaroos at low speeds since putting box in but that can wait till next year when I put my different engine in

why/how would the gearbox make it kangaroo at low speed now? Possible clutch/flywheel issue?

status

Well-Known Forum User
Clutch/ flywheel ok,just going by previous exp as it’s a 3.1 with emarald ECU and Jenvy Throttle bodies,when I got it on the rolling rd after converting everything it done the same as it’s doing now,once it was rolling roaded it was all ok so thinking as I’ve changed the set up it might need a session on the RR as every time you alter something on this setup it can sometimes need a RR session but I’m putting another lump in over the winter so I’ll probably save my dosh for now