5 speed gearbox identifying

atomman

Club Member
I have acquired a later B type box that was brought as a spare many moons ago for a 260z 2+2 , is there anyway to identify it ?

From what I have read on the website linked below they had codes but we're not on the actual gearbox anywhere ?

https://www.jdmjunkies.ch/wordpress/2016-06-07/240z-transmissions-manuals-swap-possibillities/

Can I use the same method for a diff to get the ratios? Ie mark up the input amd output and rotate and count ? Or do I have to take it apart and have a look inside for part numbers ?

Cheers

Gary

johnymd

Club Member
Great reading but it mentions very little about the numerous "B" version that were produced and how they all differ. I have tried to identify the many boxes that I have and failed. I know the most desirable to the majority of people is the one with only 1 rear mounting hole rather than 2. I have 2 of these but only one is from a late 280zx.

atomman

Club Member
Great reading but it mentions very little about the numerous "B" version that were produced and how they all differ. I have tried to identify the many boxes that I have and failed. I know the most desirable to the majority of people is the one with only 1 rear mounting hole rather than 2. I have 2 of these but only one is from a late 280zx.

I did read about the box with one mounting hole was it close ratio of different final drive ? , and was it late 280zx turbo only though ?

My one has two but apparently it's was brought from Nissan dealer and never been fitted, not sure how much of that is true though but it does look pretty clean and doesn't look like its ever been fitted with no washer or bolt marks on the mounting points , and the bit where the drive shaft goes in is still yellow not rusty :) its just dirty from being sat in a garage for 30 years .

here's some pic's

as for a 5 speed euro box price ? last one o saw on eBay went for nearly £300 but unknown history , Its supply and demand though not many left and with all these US imports people want them , so i can see prices rising

Attachments

• DSC_0498.JPG
    DSC_0498.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0497.JPG
    DSC_0497.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 66

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
What's a decent condition 5-speed box worth over here?

Mike, as John said you are at the mercy of supply and demand. Things are getting 'tight' now and an old S30 box is a big gamble. The S14 conversion is a great upgrade but even those are very hard to find. I would search for an S14 every time now - I drove my two cars yesterday which both have S14 'boxes and they really are good.

I think there could be a market for an alternative conversion to the S14 so long as Nissan originality isn't an issue. MX5?

See post 7 of this Thread:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/53955-l-series-6-speed-transmission-conversions/

It also mentions RX8 now there must be a lot of those gearboxes attached to non-running engines?

Here you go:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-Rx...m=123137514892&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Last edited:

atomman

Club Member
I finally got round to splitting the box and having a look
Turns out it does have Porsche type syncro's and looks to have had little if any use at all ,so the story could have some truth to it and So could be a FS5C71B
But need to do some more reading.
DSC_1871.JPG DSC_1869.JPG

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I finally got round to splitting the box and having a look
Turns out it does have Porsche type syncro's and looks to have had little if any use at all ,so the story could have some truth to it and So could be a FS5C71B
But need to do some more reading.
View attachment 33124 View attachment 33125

Those are good pictures to show that when someone crunches the gears it's not the actual gear teeth that crunch! The gear teeth are always in mesh i.e. 'constant mesh'.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yes I've done that a few times in my old Z grabbing a quick change from 3-4 and pulling across to R. Early boxes let you do it from 5 - R!

The S14 box has R in constant mesh.

See the difference on my pic.Gearboxes 018.jpg

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
When I remove the 'box from my car I think my reverse gear will look the same as that. It's impossible to engage reverse without crunching it - unless you put it in 5th first and swiftly pull back. If you do that it goes in quite sweetly.

I have to do that too but I also find that if I get it close to the point where it would crunch but without crunching, keep some pressure on the lever and slowly being up the clutch, then it goes in without a crunch!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
When I remove the 'box from my car I think my reverse gear will look the same as that. It's impossible to engage reverse without crunching it - unless you put it in 5th first and swiftly pull back. If you do that it goes in quite sweetly.

So you must have a pre 280ZX gearbox. On the later boxes there is a mechanism in the tailshaft housing to stop you going from 5th to Reverse.