280z LHD & VQ35 Conversion

OwainIJ

Club Member
Hi All,

Just a quick intro to the start of my Z project. Took delivery of my 280z on tuesday and have already started stripping it down.

Plan is to convert to RHD and drop a VQ35hr in the car(have a donor 350z for this). Any tips or tricks you guys have and more importantly any leads on RHD parts would be appreciated!!

Will also be selling the L28 engine and 4spd box thats in the car once its out so if anyone is interested drop me a message. Is running but will most likely need a rebuild. Will post an ad once its out of the car.IMG_20180405_105637.jpg IMG_20180405_172221.jpg

Owain

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi Owain, thank you for the PM.

Conversion to RHD may be more involved than you think because of the lack of RHD cars.

It will be interesting to see a VQ installation.

All the best.

johnymd

Club Member
Good luck with the build and welcome to the club.

I have recently carried out a RHD conversion on a 280z and an engine swap but for me I went the 3uz route.

Tips on the RHD conversion:
The only minor issue with this conversion is in the area of the horizontal scuttle section above pedal box. This is lower on the right hand side so had to be modified to allow the pedal box to fit. In future I would lower the baulkhead mounting plate by 10mm and not modify the scuttle. This will probably also help by lowering the steering rod.
I have use the LHD heater box and just moved the inlet to the other side. Cut a hole for the air tube inlet to a "carbuildersolutions" fan to the new heater inlet.
The rest is plain sailing. You won't need many RHD parts as you will probably not be trying to make it look factory RHD.

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Russell

Club Member
Hi Owain,

Another Hybrid project. I really need to crack on and make some decent progress with mine!

Put a build thread over in the Hybrid section and keep the updates coming. I too will be following this with interest.
Plenty of really helpful and knowledgeable people here (im helpful just not particularly knowledgeable!)

Are you planning on keeping the VQ engine standard or adding some un-natural aspiration to it?

Jay.

Club Member
Welcome to the forum!

Looking forward to seeing this build, I initially wanted a Vq Zed but from my reading you make quite a few compromises, primarily the heater components.

Please post up as many photos and information as you can when it comes to the RHD conversion, the more info there is online the better!

Best of luck.