240z Hybrid project

Mutey

Club Member
Well hello there guys,

Been on the site for over a year now but received my first Z at the start of this year. I bought it from Mike (SacCyclone) which I could not recommend enough when it comes to buying a Z from the states, it came in a lot better than expected.

With the plans of it being a hybrid project I will be swapping in an RB25/26 and eventually aiming for the 600hp mark. Im currently leaning more towards the RB25 at the moment due to the cost of the 26. I've been swinging back and forth about doing a RHD conversion which at one point I decided against it due to the cost I worked out and wasn't overly impressed with the idea of making holes in the bulkhead to convert it but with Woody's conversion panels now on the market I'm considering that option again, which I'm now in search of a RHD dash, original or aftermarket if anyone knows where I can find one? I did have FRP automotive lined up at one point but they seem to have gone quite.

Progress is slow at the moment due to various issues like storage and what not but I've replaced the rear slam panel and removed the engine, I'm at the point of I just need the space to work on it and start buying the parts I need.

I'll get a couple pictures of it up sitting in its temporary storage when it arrived, but other than those I dont currently have any exciting pictures of it.

Dan

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Welcome along Dan, Mike is a very helpful chap!

I don't know much about the RB engines other than they sound great so can't advise you between 25/26, what I can say is that 600bhp in an S30 would be a handful... Mine with nearly 400hp /400ftlbs was clearly plenty and was almost the end of me...

Anyway, good luck with the build, as everyone will say...Pictures!

Dan

Mutey

Club Member
Thanks Dan,

He was brilliant, answered everything and helped with anything he could.

600bhp definitely is more of an end goal target so I wont be hitting that for a long time. What I've been told by a few people is that the 25 can easily get to around 500bhp without going for a built engine and what not, which a Neo engine being just over half the price of a 26 and getting close to my end goal easily kinda makes it the one im leaning towards more.

Dan

johnymd

Club Member
Here's my experience with running a hybrid.

I run the car for a few years with around 400hp and I found it fine in the dry and with very sticky track tyres. The car was quick but always controllable and very very predictable with the suspension setup I had. Now I've moved up another 100hp I can break traction but the car is still very predictable and controllable even past the cars limits. I'm now going through the process of limiting the torque in the areas where traction is a problem to allow me to fully use all the power. My advice is that you will need to use an ECU capable of torque reduction for the lower gears and less than perfect weather conditions. Also spend a lot of time on making the car handle neural and predictable.

Do this and you will have a car that's a joy to drive and easy to control.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Sounds like great advice there. ALL pics are good Dan, even the ones you think are boring ... sounds like an interesting project.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Excited to hear that you are very happy with your Zed.

That is most important to me especially when dealing with chaps over long distance, you need to have a lot of trust back and forth and I am very happy to have earn it.

As with others, waiting for pictures. :thumbs: