CV drive shaft conversions -Any interest?

Any interest in a bolt in cv conversion?

Straight swap to replace stock driveshafts/stub shafts. All parts would be new lobro joints/adapters/shafts/boots etc

Would there be any interest? Should come in less than buying from the states and thats before the duty/vat savings etc.

Yes I'd be interested. 29 spline stub axles?

Hi John

3 options, well technically endless however.....

1) Straight bolt in conversion shafts, so keep your standard or subaru output shaft adapters, just remove stock shafts, bolt these in.

2) If you've got an r200 I can come up with something to suit. I've not got one to measure from at the minute, also they're heavier than the moon and jupiter combined.

3)Subaru r180 hybrid shafts, so a donor set of r180 shafts to use the diff side CV/diff spline, new shafts, new outer cv joints, new adapters for hub to CV. This would be a plug and play and not need adapters for subaru diffs......

johnymd

Club Member
I would also be interested Franky. I've never hered of standard companion flenges breaking so A bolt in solution would be good,

I could do some destruction testing for you as I have some experience breaking stuff.

Its looking around £900........ if you're seriously interested i'll add your name to the above.

without sounding like an ****, it takes a lot of time/effort/research and make nothing from it, Its just stuff i'd like and its cheaper to get a batch made along with helping the cars.

Its about 25% less than the buying from the states(even more with duty etc).

Once i've done the donkey work I should be able to repeat the processes in the future. It'd help with costs to order in batch's of at least 3.

johnymd

Club Member
I nearly bought the wolf creek set last month. Bolt on basic setup for a mildly tuned car. Came out at £690 without shiping and duty.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I only needed the 27 spline stub axles (like the ones from John Williams) which are $350. Do you have any plans for these?

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Yes please Franky, may just be cheaper to get them from John but we will see. Im in no rush - was just going to use a 3.9 Subaru diff (non lsd type) and those stub axles...if I could find an s14 gearbox.

Dan

Turn & Burn

Club Member
I've looked at using Ford lobro joints with an aluminium flange adaptor on the outside (to mate to the original stub axle) mounted to custom driveshafts made by GB Engineering, on the inside I was going to use S14 CV joints, these will mount directly onto the output flanges on my R200 diff which I've mod'd with an S15 helical diff.
GB Engineering will make you custom shafts and all the bits, but you could supply the lobro or CV joints yourself. Shafts alone were £300. Lobro joints typically £40, Nissan CVs £70. Then there's the adaptors, Reckon it'll be £600 all in.

Moriarty

Well-Known Forum User
I nearly bought the wolf creek set last month. Bolt on basic setup for a mildly tuned car. Came out at £690 without shiping and duty.

If you recall I had to totally re engineer the Wolf Creek Racing setup as

The splined shafts junk (had a new set made by Elite transmissions)
The CV's were cheap and nasty (Bought some GKN motorsport unit)
Other than that the boots and the ally spacers were "ok"

johnymd

Club Member
With shipping and duty you would be looking at well over £1k and as Moriarty has mentioned, the quality was in question.

I think custom shafts can be made better and cheaper than the US one so I'm still interested Franky.

When I broke my last axle I took it the a local highly recommends engineering shop that makes lots of custom shafts. He was not overly impressed with the shaft I gave him. He tested it for hardness and said he could make me a replacement set from a more suitable material for £150 a set. I didn't take him up on it as I think the one I broke was just a poorly heat treated item and differs from the ones on the blue car now. The setup I'm now in the market for will only need to take half the power and torque so don't need to be over the top. The stating point IMO is an easily available, reliable CV, that doesn't cost the earth. A pair of simple Ali adaptor that fit the 4 bolt zed pattern so you have 4 identical adaptors. Then get a set of shafts made of the correct length. Ideally the shafts/CV's will have enough movement to suit both R180 and R200 installations. This would then suit any S30 as long as it isn't making enough power to brake stub axles.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I realise that you need components for a Subaru diff Franky but for those that don't what's wrong with the 280ZX shafts with spacer?

I was offered two pairs of CV shafts (two sources) about 3 years ago for £80 a set. That appeared to be the going rate.

I have a set on my car (the ones mentioned above were for someone else).

johnymd

Club Member
I think some of us are trying to find an alternative to using very old joint so looking for easily available modern CV's without spending a fortune. I have run 280zx axles in the past and I probable still have a set laying around that I could use.

That's exactly what I'm after doing. Although, not using the dog cheapest components either. The drive shafts alone come in at about £500 of the cost.

I realise that you need components for a Subaru diff Franky but for those that don't what's wrong with the 280ZX shafts with spacer?

I was offered two pairs of CV shafts (two sources) about 3 years ago for £80 a set. That appeared to be the going rate.

I have a set on my car (the ones mentioned above were for someone else).

Rob, I don't need components for a Subaru diff. I've already got adapters so it's all standard stuff that I 'need'.

I just don't see the point of rebuilding standard driveshafts when there's better options out there now. Where you can buy replacement parts/components.

tmr

Club Member
I had 3 sets made a few years ago used a Porsche style cv joint and adapter plates at each end, from memory they came out at about £800 a set so at £900 that is a realistic cost