280zx Air Filter Refurb

Ped

Club Member
I thought I better start a thread to spur me on to make a start on refurbishing my air filter box on the 280zx.

So... clearly the best place to start is... with a shiny new decal. :D

Found this one on Ebay straight from Japan.

280zx-air-filter-decal.jpg

I have found a place near me (no, not Halfords) which will mix up the paint in aerosols. I have had a bit of a hunt around and so far the closest match according to the hindernet is Ford Nordic Blue... we'll see.

Here is what the airbox looks like at the moment.

280zx-air-filter.jpg

OK, so the engine bay isn't going to look mint, but it should help.

280zx-engine-bay.jpg

Ped

Club Member
Here is a rough guide on the colour. This is using the Pantone Coated Euro swatches usually used in design for print. I noticed some rattle can suppliers can match to Pantone references, so for anyone interested:

I make it half way between Pantone 5483C and Pantone 5493C (on left hand side). Visually the nearest match is the 4 colour process simulation of 5483EC (on right hand side). I will take a trip over to the paint suppliers if I get a chance this afternoon and see what they have in terms of swatches, it does not have to be exact, but very close would be nice.

They do have a digital colour reader, but they have it at another branch so would have to travel further or pay £25 extra for it to be sent down to the local branch. We'll see...

colour-ref.jpg

Ped

Club Member
So, have bought some paint for the air filter. As you can see it's not a match, but it will do for my purposes. I could have had a closer match made up, but it would have been a base coat followed by a clear coat which I didn't fancy as I am doing a rattle can job on it. The swatch I chose meant I was able to have it made up in cellulose, so it won't need clear coating and should be harder wearing.

The colour I went with is DAF 1316245 Pulleyn Light Blue. Here is some sprayed on the inside of the cover.

colour-blue.jpg

Got some primer while I was at it.

paint.jpg

Ped

Club Member
Got some spare time, so have started the refurb of the air filter box in earnest.

filter-1.jpg

filter-2.jpg

Rubbing down...

filter-3.jpg

Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 x 2 coats...

filter-4.jpg

filter-5.jpg

Rubbing down then 3 coats of primer, with rubbing down in-between coats...

filter-6.jpg

Finally got onto the blue top coat. 2 coats so far. Hoping that a final key sanding and another top coat will do the trick.

filter-7.jpg

The base is looking good, pity nobody I'll see it once it is fitted. Have been a bit more cautious on the lid so I don't get any runs, but it is getting there. Colour looks fine, not a match, but good enough for me.

filter-8.jpg

I had been offered by my mechanic mate (who does repays too), for him to repaint it for £100... it seemed a bit pricey at the time, but having spent ages on it so far, seems like a bargain now! :D

filter-9.jpg

My workshop is really small so everything is now covered in a blue mist. I had set up my small spray booth inside a cardboard box, so it has helped, especially with the fumes which get extracted outside. Think I may need to change the filter.

Hope to sneak a bit of time next week to finish it off, but no real hurry as I won't be driving it until the spring anyway.

Ped

Club Member
Newly pop riveted plate back on...

filter-11.jpg

Shiney new decal...

filter-12.jpg

Back in the Zed.

filter-13.jpg

filter-14.jpg

Big improvement, but not quite concourse just yet. :D

uk66fastback

Club Member
Fantastic job you've done on that. This is a good 'How to' ...

It's easy with a rattle can to just put too much paint on in a thick coat and not build up the colour with finer coats and then you start getting runs etc ... but you know all that and did it accordingly and it's come out really well.

The 280 bay is certainly full when compared to the 240 ...

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Nice job, which has made a BIG improvement. An easy win now would be the brake reservoir caps - sorry I've done a Mrs G. on you.:eek:

Ped

Club Member
Nice job, which has made a BIG improvement. An easy win now would be the brake reservoir caps - sorry I've done a Mrs G. on you.:eek:

How would you go about refurbing the reservoir caps? Re-plating or repainting? Any suggestions.

Huw

Club Member
The reservour caps can be replated with out damaging the brake fluid sensor. I did try paint first time around but it scratches off with the locking action of the caps.

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Good job on the filter box, I refurbished mine on my old Zx and painted it Ford Kingfisher Blue I seem to remember!

showphoto.php

Mr.G

Club Member
Excellent job, I did a similar thing albeit on a different vehicle trouble is in mine it shows up everything else in the engine bay that now needs doing....!