Presentation first before posting elsewhere

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Looking at the way your first post ever on this forum was treated made me ashamed to be part of the club

I beg your pardon mate but I was not rude, I replied to the lady's question with the requested information, with a smiley thumbs up sign and I believe my comment was and is still pertinent :

newcomers should present themselves as a first post, it's is polite and common practice upon all forums.

I could understand a person's haste to get over the frustration of not finding for said partner's car the parts needed and why I did the search myself (my time) and copied it up for her convenience.

On this forum, there should be a 'Presentation' section, but by default, newbies, in return for free and valuable, time-saving advice, can always post up a hello - I've a such and such car (here in photo) and THEN launch their requests.

I see no harm in reminding people gently to be courteous enough to do so and if they come along just a tadge later with a presentation, all the better.

Louise and her partner might be reassured of all our good intentions after having an informative reply just 33 minutes this morning after having posted that she'd " exhausted the Internet".

Nice gesture of yours but don't hang it on my conscience please :cheers: !

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
newcomers should present themselves as a first post, it's is polite and common practice upon all forums.

Not everyone likes talking about themselves and their projects like that. I don't think it's a policy/requirement here, and nor should it. It's OK for people to reveal as much or as little as they like.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Not everyone likes talking about themselves and their projects like that. I don't think it's a policy/requirement here, and nor should it. It's OK for people to reveal as much or as little as they like.

Don't have to give details Jon - simply, hi, my name is XXX, happy to have found this site and hoping you can help with some info.

They could add (or not) :

my car is (and photo or not) !

I'm looking for a car, maybe one like this (photo)

I'm helping a friend who has a XXX

But I sincerely believe that it should be a forum rule for people to at least present themselves......even if in the line before the request.

Maybe I'm old-school....but I believe in being polite and respectful and being so usually helps obtain any information I'm looking to obtain from others.

Moriarty

Well-Known Forum User
Surely its simple good "manners" to introduce yourself, after all wouldn't you do that as part of a real conversation, you know that talking thing we used to do prior to the interwebphone thing

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Surely its simple good "manners" to introduce yourself, after all wouldn't you do that as part of a real conversation, you know that talking thing we used to do prior to the interwebphone thing

Go on then.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Come on now guys
There was a request that the classified system should be changed whereby approval of classifieds and responses where no longer needed as it was felt that that would be so much easier for both the people buying and selling

Lets not turn Classifieds into a general discussion area and lets keep it for what is meant to be for

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've moved over the posts from the Wiper thread so people don't have to repeat themselves and we can clean that post up. Unfortunately that's put posts out of order - my apologies Sean.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Has Sean created the perfect thread that redirects folk back to itselfZ Has Groundhog Z Day finally arrived?

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
I beg your pardon mate but I was not rude, I replied to the lady's question with the requested information, with a smiley thumbs up sign
Aahh . . . the disingenuous emoticon at work again. You say something unkind or critical and then stick a smiley, winking (or whatever) emoticon on the end of it and that somehow makes it alright. No it doesn't. Which is why I don't use them.
However, I do agree with Sean that it is nice when someone introduces themselves before seeking help.