MOT advisory

gturner008

Well-Known Forum User
My car passed its MOT today (yippee).

But got an advisory.... No ignition light. Am I right in thinking there isn't one?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
My car passed its MOT today (yippee).

But got an advisory.... No ignition light. Am I right in thinking there isn't one?

Yes you are.

The 'Handbrake' (Parking Brake) warning light acts as the ignition light for me when stationary.

There is 'talk' in the Classic papers about doing away with MoT tests for all 'Historic' class of car not just pre 1960.

Russell

Club Member
What about the charging light in the volt/amp gauge? That comes on the whole time the ignition is on but the engine not running?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
My 260z came with an ammeter too. Only the more common, later 260zs have volt meters.

gturner008

Well-Known Forum User
So my local MOT chap just got it wrong then! No point in arguing with the chap - I'll just take the advisory and be done with it.

yellowz

Club Member
There is 'talk' in the Classic papers about doing away with MoT tests for all 'Historic' class of car not just pre 1960.

Does anyone else find that a scary proposition?

I gave my 240Z to a mechanic straight after driving it home when I bought it as I was not confident enough to give it a thorough once over before it went in for an MOT. He snagged a list of things which the previous owner had bodged - not looked after - deliberately fixed (badly), some of which were fixed to make the car safe.

It sounds like a good idea for enthusiasts but a nightmare for safety. :eek:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator

I gave my 240Z to a mechanic straight after driving it home when I bought it as I was not confident enough to give it a thorough once over before it went in for an MOT. He snagged a list of things which the previous owner had bodged - not looked after - deliberately fixed (badly), some of which were fixed to make the car safe.

Yes it's scary and I wouldn't want anyone to drive a car that was dangerous but legal.

status

Well-Known Forum User
It won't happen because an mot costs ove 50 quid and a very small percentage goes to the government

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User

Yes I agree, that is a very scary proposition ! :eek:

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
maybe a situation where an mot could be a neccesity for sale?
so you can have the benefits of no mot unless you come to sell it, would be a better proposition and safer for the next owner than no mot at all.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
At the risk of being shot down as an EU fan, perhaps a look across the water might prove constructive :

Here, cars have an MOT (CT) that lasts for 2years - 2 years for a utility vehicle ie a van or minbus BUT they need to be checked every 12 months for their pollution output.

To enable a valid sale, all vehicules need to have an MOT less than 6 months old and one sold without an MOT IS legal but should only be classed (and therefore valued) as 'parts'.

There is an option to go for a Classic car V5 (CGCollection) which is applicable to vehicules of +30 years on a rolling year basis - this time next year, cars from June 1987 will be eligible - and involves an MOT which is valid for 5 years upon the basis that the vehicule won't be used so frequently as an everyday car (therefore less mileage and risk of deterioration) but the same rule applies - the MOT must be less than 6 months old - ie the state in which it passed should still (in theory) be effective.

Most classic car importers opt for a Classic car V5 as a means of avoiding the car being very strictly checked over by the licensing authority as being 100% standard as those which left the showrooms +30 years ago....right down the tyre size and make !

Applying a specific UK classic car V5 system might alleviate the problems of applying modern car controls to older cars - no ?

And why not a vailidy limit when wishing to sell - if one made the MOT validity 2x years for a classic car, make it 6x months when selling and just 3x months for a modern one !