!! Improving our club - your feedback is required and vital!!

Mr.G

Club Member
To make the change we need volunteers, if you can take on the commitment and believe me it is a commitment, often unthanked, then the club can improve for the benefit of all.

We have the enthusiasm, just need the commitment, which isn't easy as most people have full lives... hence why I don't expect too much for my £20.

Sean, you seem to have done a lot for Datsun France, why doesn't the committee speak with you in private for some ideas and some cross club entente cordial? That could bring about some nice trips to France and maybe a bilateral club meeting over here too.

Also, do you have a tech section with organized articles, maybe we can have them translated and have it acknowledged that Datsun France supplied the info etc.

I think your idea of getting sponsorship to pay for the trinkets is a good one and should be investigated.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Sean, you seem to have done a lot for Datsun France, why doesn't the committee speak with you in private for some ideas and some cross club entente cordial? That could bring about some nice trips to France and maybe a bilateral club meeting over here too.

Also, do you have a tech section with organized articles, maybe we can have them translated and have it acknowledged that Datsun France supplied the info etc.

Technical section more of a question and answer zone with a few good addresses thrown in here and there rather than a bible/Haynes of what to do, how and when :

http://www.datsun-france.com/forum/forum/discussion-generale/technique

Not sure that it'll translate well and someof it was copied off here anyway ! I think you'll find that the info here is fairly complete over the years but 'impossible' to extricate or at least easily/quickly and no-one spends too much time searching.

There perhaps just as many members here who'd like to visit the south of the UK so why not some exchange visits ?

Two key points for both clubs :

1) good website/forum maintenance and management

2) active local groups (even if 'active' means 2 outings a year and an emailed circuler of what's happening locally and wider)

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
I make the following comments in a constructive way and hope they will be taken in the same spirit.

There was a previous suggestion about changing membership costs. Isn't the basic elemental first step to identify what the outgoings (costs) and incomings (membership and ad income) are ? You can only make such a membership cost suggestion when the information is at your disposal. Back in the days of the magazine there was an annual statement of accounts but no longer. What are the present financial assets of the club ?

What does the club want to spend its money on ? Keep it simple and just pay for the cost of running the website ? (Can a website be run at no cost to the club? Others do it). Does the club need to bother with 'trinkets' and members packs? (In the modern internet world I can get it myself, even my own car printed on a mug/t shirt) . Does the club need the expense of promoting the club ? In my eyes the cars promote themselves and demand for the cars will always outstrip the supply.

Is the focus of the club to keep the existing cars on the road ; help importing fresh stock; creating comaraderie amongst the members ?

As Johnny Nash once sang - there are more questions than answers

Matt Long

Well-Known Forum User
As Chrisvega has just posted, the previous posts mostly cover it.

Info as a new member, there are a zillion questions, a tech forum could be started with long term tame members who are happy to share the love, with the answers being saved in a WIKI style archive.

Membership could be layered so you pay you get full access to the tech and classifieds, works on many other sites

My tuppence worth

Stockdale

Club Member
I have taken the trouble to read through the content of the thread. As usual there is a deal of nonsense in content and a notion that certain individuals seem incessantly to jockey for dominance of the site regardless of the value of their contribution.

The club website does have a handful of operational weaknesses. For me though it is still quite easy to use and given the voluntary nature of those who dedicate their own time and effort in maintaining it I think it is to be applauded.

Frankly I don't actually see no reason for any radical overhaul. Maybe a little tuning here and there but generally I for one am quite ok with things as they are. I wonder that a 'silent' majority might be equally minded?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Guys,

I've purposely kept quiet for a while to see how the thread progresses and I sincerely want to thank you all for such great contributions. There are superb ideas in here.

Over the weekend I will take some time out to compile a list of all these along with the PMs I've had and will publish it on Excel to make it easier to read.

Just wanted to say - again - a big thank you to all who contributed and for mindfully keeping the thread on track / constructive.

hls30.com

Active Forum User
Ad Now for something completely different!

I have read through the four pages of posts prior to this one, and most of what is there is what I have experienced through several on line clubs, notably: InternetZCarClub, DatsunHerritageMuseum.com, ClassicZCars.com, 300ZXClub.com, CoastalZClub.com, and ZCCA.org.I am or have been a member of close to 100 Online Z Car Clubs most of which I lurk on to see what is going on! I have also worked on and off for several years on building TheZCommunity.org-currently in the weeds.

What I have seen in each of these clubs has found is Membership has waned because:
1) Almost every Z forum out there ends up with essentially the same content-and there are new Z Clubs posted regularly. Content gets cut and pasted and rebranded...With YouTube and Google, pirating content can allow anyone to build a knowledge base of harvested content and to be seen as an expert i-even for those with little or no real experience, On a similar vein, unless you take strides to keep strictly factual information archives will become tainted with posts that are fraught with misinformation. Too many people/vendors take what they think/what will sell and post as true even when Original Nissan Documentation proves otherwise..Facts need to be defined and protected! With DatsunHeritageMuseum we were going to be telling MR.Ks story and to keep the content from being modified, we considered tiered memberships from a free for signing up membership to several tiers of paid membership and finishing with an nominated and approved free membership for those that were constantly involved and passionate!
2) Most New Z buyers have less than a passing interest in older versions-despite what they may say. Nissan is only interested in selling the current version-so any event wanting Nissan to participate has to feature the latest and greatest above all else. For several years With Coastal Z Club I made up a welcome kit for the local Nissan dealer to present to the buyers of every new Z and asked them to email me contact info if the buyer wanted to be welcomed to the local Z community-I put out 129 kits with 129 personal welcomes and personal invitations to the website, the next meeting, and of those, four people actually became members and continue to be actively involved-most came to a meeting or two, and expressed interest, and gradually falling from participation.
3) More People will actively complain(from the comfort of their keyboard/phone/etc about what is lacking than get off their ass and actually do something about it.
4) Everybody wants to hear they have the best Z. Pictures from events bring new viewers, praise of each car will bring many viewers into limited but not lasting involvement, demonstrating this USA based Z content magazines have gone to subscriber based and event content to keep their rates-"I'll subscribe for as long as I can see what I want to and that is how great my car and my friends cars are
Facebook is easy and most new Z owners know how to gas up and drive, with little interest in much else-other than its instant gratification in what they bought for, bolted on, did to, their Z. I can get 1300 peoples attention at a moments notice-for a couple of minutes...I can get 22500 views of my Vert project ( http://coastalz.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22 ) through time...but can't get people to post their own projects-they want to see them noticed! When I had a "Z of the minute" photo on the front page the site was getting major hits every day!
5) Nothing beats getting the cars seen and being a Z Ambassador at every opportunity! Marketing a club has to bee done at as many car events as possible as well!
6) Clubs with dues typically don't work well-With Coastal Z Club I offered a great discount at the Local Nissan Dealer on parts(cost plus 10%), an Exclusive Club Keyring, a club Tshirt, a Club Sticker for your car monthly emails, club tshitrs and many other Club wares...our dues were $24 a year-$$18 of it covered the tangables that were included. Selling club branded clothing works.

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
As I'm a ferry trip away from most of you, to me Club participation and experiencewill probably be restricted to the Website/Forum, so I'll stick to those topics.

The Welcome Pack - As long as it has a Membership Card and a Club sticker that's all I need, and it's all you get from any other clubs I'm in. I suppose some contact details for Club officers would also be handy.

The Site - It has been said by previous posters, it needs a tidy up and links sorted. I've been a member of various marque forums over the years, and there is only one that is more restricted than this, Lancia Ownwers Club where as a lapsed member I was not able to post info regarding my recently sold car, madness. To me the Classifieds here need to be opened up, the fact that more Z stuff appears for sale elsewhere says it all. This site needs to be the first port of call for all potential Z owners, and a poor classifieds section, which will probably be their first port of call, will only lead them elsewhere.

Membership Fee - OK look at what you need to cover your costs and set the fee. one comment I would make is that most insurers ask for membership of a Classic Car Club, it's usually any club not marque specific, so bearing that in mind don't price yourselves out of the market. Do we have any discount deal with any insurers at present? If not is it a possibility?

The Forum - Yes a nice How To section and What to look for info would be great, all to encourage the new owner/member. Now onto the tricky bit. This forum is the worst for put-downs and points scoring I have come across, eg some innocent asks a question about say "a S30" and the next thing the thread degenerates into a picking session re terminology, with numerous posts by the belligerents quoting the replies of those they are arguing with, and the original question ends up unanswered and the original poster is discouraged from asking anything again. As has been said it just decreases forum participation and we end up with the vocal few dominating proceedings. All I can say to that is that we should try and respect the original intention a thread.

The Car of the Month competition is good, and a revamp of the Home Page to give the winning pic greater prominence I feel would be beneficial. A gallery of photos of each of the major models would also be good, and could be combined with an Intro/Spec page about each one.

datsfun

Club Member
The White Elephant in the room remains the silent majority. So far most of the contributions to the topic have mostly come from the regular posters and IMHO whilst their opinions count, they are not as important as those who don't or seldom post:devil:

If the club genuinely wants to improve then it needs to reach out to those paid up red folk who seldom post and get their opinions. Also obtaining feedback from the regular black posters who refrain from changing colour would my approach.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
The White Elephant in the room remains the silent majority. So far most of the contributions to the topic have mostly come from the regular posters and IMHO whilst their opinions count, they are not as important as those who don't or seldom post:devil:

If the club genuinely wants to improve then it needs to reach out to those paid up red folk who seldom post and get their opinions. Also obtaining feedback from the regular black posters who refrain from changing colour would my approach.
Yesterday I sent out over 6000pms to everybody who had registered on the site since it started and through this the number who visted the site went up slightly straight away but not a obvious increase in imput on the thread

I know there has been a couple of Pms sent in since pm so maybe I am being to pushy on results

Wonder if maybe we actually posted an actual survey letter through the post to current subscribed membership and to those whose membership has lapsed in the last couple of years

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
1. List of members by area. Now this may exist but I can find it. I would like some local meets, even happy to arrange a few but difficult if you don't know who's ' local'.

2. More technical articles, there are some and I know they are labour intensive to create. A lot of good stuff gets created in threads. But I personally find the search function frustrating to use. For example been lots of questions on paint codes etc .

3. Proper traders area, gets a bit confusing with the traders offers mixed in with general threads . Ps I'm not complaining I would just like the trades to have a bit more prominence and be easier to find to access their good stuff. It's important they have good visibility on the site.

4. Fix the broken links. If we are not having an online shop or magazine can we remove the links for example.
:thumbs:

Personally I think a members pack is a waste of time & money. I'm not up for covering my car in stickers or hanging horrid smelly things in it, a key ring with a 'Z' on it or even a calendar. TBH in my house those kind of things just go into the bottom drawer or the bin. Use the money for meets and such. On the subject of meets as far a local club meets/runs go I think it's a good thing and should be encouraged. Personally I'm up for it. Just down the road from me are JonBills & RedCandy, and I know we have other Z owners & club members quite local in the Warwickshire, Northamptonshire & Oxfordshire areas. Last year JonBills and myself went to a couple of events together in our Z's. Hopefully this year we'll get to even more events and more of the local guys will join us. Every week over the summer months some kind of classic, hot rod or Jap car event happens locally.
One thing I think is crucial to a club overhaul is a webmaster who really knows their stuff and has time every week to keep on top of things. I have no idea who looks after our site atm and I am not knocking whoever does it but without a very good knowledge of the ever changing approaches to website building & databases I think we'll end up back where we are now within a few years. I used to run a couple of very busy websites with databases & forums (no I'm not offering my services) and it's a lot of work so maybe it would be to our advantage to bring an outsider in to look after things?
Let's get out more in our Z's. More meets, more A - B's, more lunches at the pub(oh no maybe not :lol:) I think a better slogan for our club would be 'Drive it' or
'Keep the cars on the road' :D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
We also haven't heard from the committee and moderators what they'd want from the club, forum etc they are also part of the club and have opinions as to what they'd like, need and want....c'mon, everybody is encouraged to comment and you're no exception.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
As someone who was recently a 'red' and is now a 'black', I have to agree with MikeB on how a large number of topics degenerate into thinly veiled insults. I don't particularly care whether an insult is disguised with fancy words or not, being a dick to other people should not be an acceptable thing.

And as someone who doesn't take kindly to being talked to like a 5 year old, I will answer back in exactly the same fashion - I thus made the decision to remove myself from the forum as I realised I was actually part of the problem, indeed this is the first time I've been back here since before the new year.

Until there is some sort of an effort to moderate things fairly regardless of who is making the comments or how the comments are phrased, I don't think much is going to change. Of course there will always be those that say other people should be thicker skinned, but the great hipocrisy is those same people also seem to throw their toys out the pram for the same bloody reason, when they suddenly feel they are the victim.

The overall attitude towards other members is the biggest sticking point for me and, to be brutally honest, unless things change I can't be assed with it any more.

But since I've posted, something else I think needs addressing is the forum layout itself - it's a total mess.

http://zclub.net/forum/index.php

Look at how many sections there are, all jumbled up in no coherent order. How many are redundant? It's no wonder people can't find what they're looking for.

The technical section is split up into sections, then each of those sections is split up into more sections for a particular model. Then further down the main forum page are 'car specific' sections with other posts in, it's confusing.

IMO the whole technical section should be removed from the main forum page and each 'car specific' section should have its own sub-sections instead.

Just an idea.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
The classified section could also do with being incorporated into the forum better, even replacing the classifieds entirely with its own forum section would be better, sellers would actually be able to see and answer questions from potential buyers rather than having to wait for moderation etc.

Nmd14

Club Member
Hi All,

First up, I'd like to say a big thank you to the many people on here who have helped with my introduction to the Z World and to those who give their time so there is any sort of forum.

Apologies for any duplication and here are my thoughts:

1. Zs are beautiful cars. I suspect many owners have bought theirs because of the car's looks being so much nicer than modern tat. We could all contribute say our favourite 3 Z themed photos to create a welcoming and enticing montage on the home page, perhaps with some quotes from us explaining why we love our Zs.Visuals sell.

2. I won't name names but a few of the more experienced people from here have been very helpful over the phone. As a complete newbie, I didn't find the forum the easiest of places to navigate around and too many posts degenerate into slagging matches. I found it easier to get info over the phone.

3. I suspect some questions go unasked for fear of historic issues being raised if and when the time comes to sell one's pride and joy. If I took all the comments raised whenever a car for sale is discussed, I suspect I would never have bought a Z in the first place!

4. I 100% agree with the person who suggested if would be very helpful to have a section dedicated to individuals / companies that have done work to owners' cars. There is of course a potential legal issue if someone slates a company but surely there could be a policy of only submitting details on the assumption we were happy with the work done?

5. I personally feel membership packs are unnecessary.

6. Each to their own but I bought a Z to use and I have been quite surprised at not seeing another Z on the road anywhere I have been e.g. Bicester Heritage and Waterloo Classics. I (and I assume many other members) would be more than happy to help organise day road trips. These could be listed on the home page so anyone considering buying a Z could come along and chat to owners.

7. As parts get ever harder to source, I would happily pay a bit extra to be sent an e-mail whenever a trader lists something on the site. The classifieds appear to be a bit hit and miss and are somewhat hidden on the site.

8. Simple is efficient, as the naff old Ford ad said. I believe there are far too may sections on the forum. I think a maximum of 10 titles / sections would help, maybe 1 for each model and then a few for eg events.

9. Would established members / owners be prepared to contribute to a section listing say "10 things I wish I had known before buying my Z."

10. For this forum to thrive, it needs to welcome new members in. There is a font of knowledge here that gets hidden and not utilized. The question is whether existing members are prepared to contribute more?

Cheers, Nick D.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi All,

First up, I'd like to say a big thank you to the many people on here who have helped with my introduction to the Z World and to those who give their time so there is any sort of forum.

Apologies for any duplication and here are my thoughts:

1. Zs are beautiful cars. I suspect many owners have bought theirs because of the car's looks being so much nicer than modern tat. We could all contribute say our favourite 3 Z themed photos to create a welcoming and enticing montage on the home page, perhaps with some quotes from us explaining why we love our Zs.Visuals sell.

2. I won't name names but a few of the more experienced people from here have been very helpful over the phone. As a complete newbie, I didn't find the forum the easiest of places to navigate around and too many posts degenerate into slagging matches. I found it easier to get info over the phone.

3. I suspect some questions go unasked for fear of historic issues being raised if and when the time comes to sell one's pride and joy. If I took all the comments raised whenever a car for sale is discussed, I suspect I would never have bought a Z in the first place!

4. I 100% agree with the person who suggested if would be very helpful to have a section dedicated to individuals / companies that have done work to owners' cars. There is of course a potential legal issue if someone slates a company but surely there could be a policy of only submitting details on the assumption we were happy with the work done?

5. I personally feel membership packs are unnecessary.

6. Each to their own but I bought a Z to use and I have been quite surprised at not seeing another Z on the road anywhere I have been e.g. Bicester Heritage and Waterloo Classics. I (and I assume many other members) would be more than happy to help organise day road trips. These could be listed on the home page so anyone considering buying a Z could come along and chat to owners.

7. As parts get ever harder to source, I would happily pay a bit extra to be sent an e-mail whenever a trader lists something on the site. The classifieds appear to be a bit hit and miss and are somewhat hidden on the site.

8. Simple is efficient, as the naff old Ford ad said. I believe there are far too may sections on the forum. I think a maximum of 10 titles / sections would help, maybe 1 for each model and then a few for eg events.

9. Would established members / owners be prepared to contribute to a section listing say "10 things I wish I had known before buying my Z."

10. For this forum to thrive, it needs to welcome new members in. There is a font of knowledge here that gets hidden and not utilized. The question is whether existing members are prepared to contribute more?

Cheers, Nick D.

Good man, well put!

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
One thing I think is crucial to a club overhaul is a webmaster who really knows their stuff and has time every week to keep on top of things. I have no idea who looks after our site atm and I am not knocking whoever does it but without a very good knowledge of the ever changing approaches to website building & databases I think we'll end up back where we are now within a few years. I used to run a couple of very busy websites with databases & forums (no I'm not offering my services) and it's a lot of work so maybe it would be to our advantage to bring an outsider in to look after things?

Sorry I should have mentioned that whoever does the donkey work/hard work keeping the whole Zclub web presence working and up to date will need plenty of support from it's members. It's no good having a great webmaster if they don't have support from the people they are helping/promoting. Input, input, input ;)

6. Each to their own but I bought a Z to use and I have been quite surprised at not seeing another Z on the road anywhere I have been e.g. Bicester Heritage and Waterloo Classics
Not many Z's about mate! On the UK roads you could drive for 20 years or more and not see an S30. TBH I would have been at the gig in Bicester if I hadn't been busy that day. I will try extra hard to make this years bash as it's only just down the road from me. Again as I mentioned in my last post, I'm all up for more meets, lets get the cars out on the roads :driving:
Databasing all the knowledge on here would be priceless, but how it can be done this far down the road is another thing altogether :confused: :unsure: Anyone????

I must admit, I'm more likely to ask another Z owner directly or ask a local mechanic/petrol head re something to do with my Z than ask here on the forum due to the way people get blasted and shot down round here a lot of the time. Nobody's perfect, nobody knows it all, none of us have all the answers, some of us are just beginners, some of us have been playing the game for 40 years or more. Wouldn't it be great if we could all be Z when we came on here :thumbs:

OH!!! and please........more cowbell ;) https://youtu.be/jz4Gf2k8SsM

hls30.com

Active Forum User
I might also suggest a club library for members with scans of original Z documentation-even selling a CD/DVD with specific model info. While Nissan might not be happy with the sharing of Nissan Fast\EFast that goes on, they have not gotten their nickers in a twist over scans of the microfische or parts catalogs. On that Note, Nissan Fast has copies of the Microfishe in it for the pre 80s Zs, Offering a copy of the Parts Catalog is a much better Idea, and the Fairlady parts catalog illustrations are far clearer and better than the HLS30/RLS30/GHLS30 versions...also helps in that some dealers don't want to get involved in identifying parts for customers-MY local Nissan dealer doe not have any of the S30/S130 Factory Service Manuals anymore they call to borrow mine. -I post pics of the catalogs and microfische every so often on my facebook page regulary Unlike Nissan Fast the books did not periodically cull the NLA parts listings-meaning a part book typically shows parts that are NOT in Nissan Fast or EFast.

Attachments

• Parts catalogs.jpg
    Parts catalogs.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 12