NEC soup thread

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Not helping, still lost.

Don't judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another.

From Never mind the ******** here's the Sex Pistols' EMI ' byJohnny Rotten

"....and blind acceptance is a sign
Of stupid fools who stand in line..."

John Lydon has readThe Rubáiyát. He wasn't lost.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
For my part, I took offence at you wilfully (and ridiculously, in my opinion) continuing to claim the comparison was valid long after having it explained to you.

This a point overlooked by 'the management' who've gone all out to see things from the 'wilfully' hurt man who doesn't know as much as the know-all and was somehow (in their eyes) belittled, mocked and trodden down by quantified facts.

Facts are facts and no-one appears to be disputing them so ipso facto we all agree that the facts presented to support an argument (hardly a debate) were correct.

It appears to be the manner in which they were presented that offends....is that it ?

But no-one defends the other offended party who defended himself with correct.....facts from which we all learnt something.

Seems a tadge one-sided - no ?

NickF

Well-Known Forum User
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid

Yeah, like it - Einstein was a fish in his own sea - but nobody claimed he was a know-all either.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Albrecht, your PM box is full sir.

Observation
There are a few people on here that genuinely try to provide detailed and informative information in an “attempt” to help, assist and educate people, I for one know because as most know I eat sleep and breath the technical element of them almost to the point of a love affair, Alan has that passion many times above and beyond that.
Often these exchanges end up getting a little out of hand but in many occasions the “sarcasm” is somewhat deserved by the attitude and demeanour of the “injured” party.

Riddler, seriously!, you can’t expect to make comments as you did, to someone as passionate and not get at least some flak back in return, if it were a technical exchange and I had gone out of my way to make an informed response, I would have done the same.

Management
Stop being so happy clappy on one hand and overzealous on the other (point in case the eagerness to over moderate what amounted to a “warm” exchange), fix the hypocrisy with your moderation framework……point in case, you allowed a member to post unacceptably abusive comments at Alan and yet was not banned, the posts magically disappeared, the offender had tea with a committee member and it went quiet ….. But the moment certain others put their head above the parapet they get shot down….. This isn’t your private playground, some of you need realise that the S30 may have stopped production decades ago but it’s still an evolving, moving feast, new knowledge and adaptions are emerging every day and it’s the clubs duty to be the standard bearer of the facts for present and future owners.

Others
Enjoy and learn more about the cars ….

Flame ON

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Oh, damn - another thing that we agree upon - fancy a cuppa then ?

Bit of a story teacup over here atm though in more ways than one.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I think you've hit the nail on the head Steve, and it's the same thing Sean was alluding to in the other thread.

Everyone has an interest in the cars for a different reason, some for performance engineering, some for the history, specifics and purity of the marque, the majority of people I would describe as more casual. The club has to encompass all the above and everyone marching perfectly in time to the same beat is simply not going to happen, which is why everyone should try to be a bit more accomodating and accept the fact we're all different.

Matt Long

Well-Known Forum User
As a new member, and having just invested into the club and the same marque as the rest of you, my knowledge is limited, but my passion comparable.
l can see many simular traits from other forums I've frequented for many years.
Forums usually consist of those who who are knowledgeable and happy to help anyone because of their love of the marque and those that think they are a big deal because of their long association and technical prowess
30 odd posts in, I've had both great help on and off the forum and picky replys.
Nothing new then. A wink emocon is always handy and as Sean says, thicker skin. ;)

gturner008

Well-Known Forum User
I'm with Matt.

I'm passionate about iconic cars. And passing on and receiving knowledge as best I can. I'm thick skinned. But there are those on this site that put things across poorly. Sean, you lack tact and go out of your way to be sarcastic. It is off putting. You throw around you intelegence and try to impress. I does not work.

If you want to share knowledge there are better ways to do it. It's not content, it's approach and style.

That's all I'm going to say... Time to put my time and energy into cars and not school playground antics.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'm with Matt.

I'm passionate about iconic cars. And passing on and receiving knowledge as best I can. I'm thick skinned. But there are those on this site that put things across poorly. Sean, you lack tact and go out of your way to be sarcastic. It is off putting. You throw around you intelegence and try to impress. I does not work.

If you want to share knowledge there are better ways to do it. It's not content, it's approach and style.

Me ? I know nothing - not that intelegent :unsure:

Don't you mean 'him' :toetap:- he started it.....and I'm with you on the style and approach - can be improved upon.

In 'his' defence, there must be a wincy bit of frustration creeping in after years of spouting knowledge and only recently a reminder (for him) that nothing has advanced.

Always two sides to the coin.:thumbs:

And you're right again - better to go play with the toys than mix words...but we're in that dark period of the year again when the only light is a blinking mouse saying ''go on, say something'' :eek:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
l can see many simular traits from other forums I've frequented for many years.
Forums usually consist of those who who are knowledgeable and happy to help anyone because of their love of the marque and those that think they are a big deal because of their long association and technical prowess

I think you've left quite a few other forum 'types' out of your analysis, but here's a straight - no spin - question for you since you've popped your head over the parapet:

Who is who? Name some names, cite some examples. I've just had a skim through your total forum activity and I can't see anything I'd class as even slightly abrupt let alone rude or confrontational. Where's the beef?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
But there are those on this site that put things across poorly. Sean, you lack tact and go out of your way to be sarcastic. It is off putting. You throw around you intelegence and try to impress. I does not work.

Mistaken identity, or complete misapprehension?

Sean is as daft as a brush sometimes (that's an 'affectionate punch'...) but you can't fault his passion for the marque, his thirst for knowledge and his enthusiasm for getting people talking about things. He's also a very active 'doer' on his own national forum and he makes things happen. Clubs rely on people like him. This would be a dry old place without him, believe me. I don't believe he is ever intentionally rude or out to make conflict, never divisive on purpose, and most conciliatory should it be required. He's a good bloke. He doesn't deserve being singled out here.

I've just had a skim through your forum activity too, and - again - I didn't see any drama. Are you complaining about anything in particular, or are you complaining more generally on someone else's behalf?

Yours, fairly nonplussed of London.

Matt Long

Well-Known Forum User
I think you've left quite a few other forum 'types' out of your analysis, but here's a straight - no spin - question for you since you've popped your head over the parapet:

Who is who? Name some names, cite some examples. I've just had a skim through your total forum activity and I can't see anything I'd class as even slightly abrupt let alone rude or confrontational. Where's the beef?

As you say, there are plenty more types and I didn't say I had a beef, it's just normal forum stuff, nothing you wont find elsewhere, not my place to name and shame, I'm just a fuckwit newbee just making observations.