£25k original 260z

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I believe even Datsun advertised it as the better version of the 240z :p

Well, they would wouldn't they - do you expect them to say it was a pile of **** after such a fantastic and competitive sportscar ?

No EFi for 260s but they did have an electric pump at the back and mechanical at the front if I remember rightly ?

Stevie P

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks guys, I am really torn on selling, it, I am reconsidering niow given the comments here.

The door mirrors I like better than the chrome one that was fitted, Mike got me a new passenger side, but the drivers side was the original and past its best! The ones on it are painted the same colour as the rear panels and grill, so blend really well, IMHO!

The rear 260Z badge was NOS from Kuwait, is stick on so removeable, I thought it complemented well, given I replaced the front wing 260Z badges to proudly display NOS Datsun badges.

The rear lights are the ones I had chromed and are superb, give the lenses a spray of clear laquer and it brings out the colour of the lenses, after stripping, cleaning and reassembly.

It has a NISMO Aniiversary wheel fitted, but the original wheel is here and superb also.

The Radiator has the mounting points for the fan shroud, so I assumed it should have one, I bought one via my Brother in Houston from a 280Z, it fits, looks the part and finishes that part of the engine bay, if it wasn't an original feature, probably because Nissan didn't want to spend the extra pennies back in the day, I like it!

The carbs work absolutely fine, Mike got me some rebuild kits and it pures and pulls with a whoosh, not neck cracking like a Skyline engine, I have a full race TR6 and TR7V8 for that, the Z is very refined tourer.

I know now I will regret selling it the very week after and tehn forever, so I think I shouldn't, I do want an RS2000 again, I regret selling that 5 years ago, Mk1 Factory Black, there is one for sale on Cars and Classic now for £45k, that is just plain stupid!!

Steve

Stevie P

Well-Known Forum User
I replaced the aerial with a NOS stock one from the States, NOS shift knob, new front indicators with rare enclosed boots and much more, why am I even considering selling it?

Steve

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
... why am I even considering selling it?

Steve

Exactly dude! Sounds like a lot of love has been poured into that stunning car. In 5 years at current pace of classic car price inflation a z in that condition will be worth a lot more than 25.

And you simply can't easily find one so original running flat top carbs etc.

I like to keep mine as close to stock as practical but seeing yours, I've reclassified mine as a hybrid ;)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Lovely car, nice straight body.

If you are having second thoughts then spend a bit of time reconsidering - I've done that with my 370Z. It's usually when someone offers money that you think 'what am I doing'?

I think I know the 'dealer/collector' that is interested - I was at his place on Sunday and know he is in contact with you. He has some amazing cars, decent chap too. His brother is a member of THE Club.

Wish you had left the front indicators standard ;) Yes US ones look better but.....

I wonder if there are many 'rubber bumper' MGBs left? Again ugly but if the car is otherwise standard/original and in great condition it's a shame to stray.... my opinion, your car.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stevie P

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Rob, the dealer was from Runcorn I think he said!

I have all the standard bumpers, indicators and front valances in reasonable condition to return, if that ever comes to mind.

Steve

richiep

Club Member
I have all the standard bumpers, indicators and front valances in reasonable condition to return, if that ever comes to mind.

Steve

Don't worry about what Rob says Stevie - since he got his very standard orange 240Z, he's turned into the Originality Taliban.

;)

:D

johnymd

Club Member
Loverly car Steve and good luck with the sale. Do you get to do many miles in it? It looks too imaculate to want to use on the public roads.

With regard to values, it worth what someone is willing to pay for it. An early car will nearly always be worth more than the subsequent models. Take an etype as a good example. Early flat floor series 1 is worth much more than the latter ones. Even if the latter ones were better. Same with Zeds. Rarity has very little to do with value.

My father in law had a turn of the century Chenard Walker in prestine, fully restored, driveable condition. Possible the only one in the country. He had trouble selling it and let it go to a musium for a couple of grand in the end.

Stevie P

Well-Known Forum User
Rob, yes, Rutland.

John, haven't used it since putting it in garage last June after MOT.

Seems a shame, too nice to drive to work, and 2 hrs each way in traffic is a killer to these old girls.

Steve

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Thanks Mike, I got my 260z emblem from US ebay, but didn't realise UK cars didn't have them.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Mike, forgive me ignorance. The 260z emblem you refer to is the one on the spoiler? Or the sides of the car at the bottom of the front wings?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Wow! I always thought they had them on the spoiler - something new learned. Thank you.