problem with site and google chromne

johnymd

Club Member
Got into work this morning and still the same problem getting onto site. Cleared the cache and works fine now.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Source Language

Target Language
data:text/html,chromewebdata Page Web inaccessible Masquer les détails Impossible de trouver le serveur de zclub.net, car la résolution DNS a échoué. DNS est le service Web qui convertit les noms de sites Web
Human Translation
this is a translated message that sean gets
Translate
Data:text/html,chromewebdata
Web Page inaccessible Hide details Cannot find server of zclub.net, because DNS resolution has failed .
DNS is the Web service that converts the names of Web sites

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Sean or others who know about stuff could this be the answer
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16643412/dns-lookup-failed-error-with-all-browsers

Question :::

Firstly, please excuse me for asking this question here. I have searched other sites in SO network, but I didn't really understand where to put this and this is the only site that I am familiar with. I also, have spent hours reading other sites, but didn't find an answer. I request moderators to, please move this question to appropriate site, if this is not related here.

I have IE, Mozilla, Google Chrome installed in my system. When I try to view sites for example, http://www.millennialmedia.com , I get a DNS Lookup failed error in all the browsers. I can access most of the sites, but this error is only with a few. The colleagues at my workplace were able to access the site without any problems. I cannot even open the site at my house. I get the same DNS Lookup failed error. So, I guess the problem is not related to network and since my friends are able to access it, it's not the problem with the site as well. It must be a problem in my system.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate Edition on my system.

If someone has any idea on how to resolve this, please guide me. "

2 Answers
active oldest votes
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Run the following from your command prompt.

nslookup www.millennialmedia.com

This should respond with an IP address as well as let you know your current DNS server that's resolving your requests. On my machine the output was as below which implies the site is accessible to me.

nslookup millennialmedia.com
Server: <hidden>
Address: <hidden>

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: millennialmedia.com
Addresses: 216.146.46.11

shareimprove this answer

answered May 20 '13 at 6:12
Ravi Thapliyal
25.7k31945

I have updated the question with the screenshot. Please have a look and guide me. – Vamsi Challa May 20 '13 at 6:16

Great! We have some progress here. Now open Firefox and go to Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Settings... and make sure that No Proxy is selected there. Then try accessing the website. – Ravi Thapliyal May 20 '13 at 6:18

Thank you!! It works. It even works in chrome now. Why was it not working previously? – Vamsi Challa May 20 '13 at 6:20

Last edited by a moderator:

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
The DNS cache on your PC is there to let your computer connect to sites faster. If the IP of the site changes for whatever reason and the DNS cache hasn't updated then your browsers will be pointed at the old IP address and you'll be unable to connect. You can either wait for it to update itself or clear the cache manually so that the next time you access the site the correct info is stored.

To clear it manually, open a command prompt and type:

ipconfig /flushdns

If you're using anything other than Windows then I have no idea how you do it!

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
hmmm, it might possibly be a problem with your hosting company; I just ran a trace route command and it times out when it reaches the filehost:

Tracing route to zclub.net [77.68.39.104]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 5 ms 2 ms 2 ms SkyRouter.Home [192.168.0.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 29 ms 29 ms 31 ms 02780940.bb.sky.com [2.120.9.64]
4 30 ms 29 ms 30 ms linx.bb-d.ba.slo.gb.oneandone.net [195.66.236.98
]
5 31 ms 31 ms 30 ms po-1.bb-d.dis.glo.gb.fasthosts.net.uk [88.208.25
5.189]
6 32 ms 32 ms 31 ms te4-4.gw-dist-0-ded.dc1.con.glo.gb.fasthosts.net
.uk [88.208.255.152]
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.

That's a bit odd because I can access the site fine.

If you want to try it yourself, open a command prompt and type:

tracert zclub.net

[EDIT] I can't ping the site either which is really weird.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
The problem is with brighter-technology.com I think.
I can see that when I do an nslookup at work, I get:
** server can't find zclub.net: NXDOMAIN

which means there's no authoritative name server accessible.

then when I connect over cellular (so not using the corp. network)
I get:
Server: 172.20.10.1
Address: 172.20.10.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: shatner.brighter-technology.com
Address: 108.174.149.196

which is working....

so this means that either brighter-technology have problems connecting to some ISPs/networks , or my corp network, and all your networks, have decided to block them.

I think it's a question for brighter-technology anyway

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
In the last two days I have been having a lot of problems getting onto the site - mainly through my mobile. I keep getting a 'host name could not be resolved' message. Sometimes it would let me in, but mainly not. Similar problem (but not as bad) when using my home computer with internet explorer. Never had any problems before.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
just recieved the following messages

right, looks like I've sorted it for zclub

when I migrated the DNS Server to its new server, most of the domains picked up the new DNS server addresses, but zclub and a couple of others didn't, so when the DNS cache ran out, machines began requesting the address and my DNS server wasn't kicking out the right info, it is now

Good news I hope

If not working

people may need to hold the 'ctrl' button whilst pressing 'f5' on their keyboards a few times, but eventually it should come up

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
All I need now Mr Burns is to reinstate me as a paid-up member please and see if it works then too !

tel240z

Club Member
All we need to do now is put our clocks forward an hour to keep in line with the forum clock

been a couple of days like that :eek: