Acid bath recommendations

Mr.G

Club Member
Brave or stupid....I'm not sure

Being in the business I have seen some absolute horrors with dipping....Grown men breaking down and crying

Never seen this with blasting

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, horrible is the right word hand sorry to rear your pride and joy was affected.

There is no question that acid dipping can cause more harm then good. I wonder however if the bad image of this process is down to certain companies?

Could you confirm. If all the horror stories you've seen originate from the same source?

Mr HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
Certainly true in my case, lots of horror stories regarding SPL, none that I could find, at least of any merit, about Prostrip.

Mr HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
On-The-Spit.jpg

post-dip-A-Pillar.jpg

post-dip-Engine-Bay.jpg

post-dip-footwell.jpg

post-dip-rear-quarter.jpg

Attachments

• 20140328_193020.jpg
    20140328_193020.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

Mr.G

Club Member
Wow... Great shots, very revealing.... And a lot of work to do..

From reading their process it appears that after they dip it to remove all the paint, then they neutralise it, you get it back, you weld it and then they zinc coat it?

I guess that means you need to keep the shell as dry as possible...don't get it wet at all and get the welding done very quickly since the car's shell is totally exposed at that point and is prone to further rusting. This must mean finding a welder that will soley work on your car and not start it, work on someone elses, then go back to yours etc....etc..

Then after welding, you get it back to them and they zinc coat...? Or do they dip again to remove rust and then zinc coat?(I couldn't find this mentioned if they do).

Mr HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
It's entirely your choice. We only had the first dipping done and that was over a year ago now. Whilst the car did develop some corrosion issues when we moved to a different unit and it sat closer to the door, provided the car is dry it really wasn't rusting. We are still toying with the idea of going for another dip when the welding is done and then zinc coating. It is what would be best for the car, but another £2k near enough to be dipped AND coated l.