Japfest 2014 tickets/passes & track sessions

richiep

Club Member
Well, I see the weather is looking dire for tomorrow. Including a weather warning from the Met Office for gale-force winds in the Southwest...

I think I'll be making judgement call tomorrow morning, as I don't fancy a six hour round-trip for a filthy washout tbh! :mad:

racer

Club Member
You never Know though Rich, they get the weather wrong all the time. We're going regardless but only a five hour RT for us!

Mr HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
Sadly, as much as we love this show and have been very much looking forward to it all year, the weather report, combined with the number of people we wanted to see at the show now dropping out, due to vehicle failure and/or weather, we will not be making the 6 hour round trip ourselves. Knowing our luck, this decision will make the sun shine for the entire day and we will have missed out on our favourite show of the year, but if this does happen, please say thank you ;) On the upside I should get a solid weekend working on the 280 shell.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

richiep

Club Member
You never Know though Rich, they get the weather wrong all the time. We're going regardless but only a five hour RT for us!

True. We'll just have to wait and see. I'll be leaving at 5am if coming with Dave P on board as usual) so up at 4am checking the weather updates!

I recall us driving back from Japfest a few years ago and hitting a monsoon in Birmingham around the M5-M6 interchange. Almost zero visibility and the Z's tyres were barely touching the road. It was one long aquaplane for a few miles! :eek:

z32bolt

Well-Known Forum User
I also will be dropping out I'm afraid, I've got a raft of niggles despite solving many of them. I've burnt myself out at work and home, a 6th 4am start in a row is going to be dangerous after the past 3 weeks. It's a highlight if the season for me and was supposed to be my first track experience, so pretty disappointed by hey that's life.

johnymd

Club Member
Am I looking at the wrong weather report!!!!

Bbc weather for castle Combe says "heavy rain will clear post dawn, leavening sunshine and blustery showers" it looks like this will continue for most of the day. Winds won't strengthen untill late in the day.

richiep

Club Member
The weather forecast for tomorrow has been revised then from the more doom and gloom version earlier today. Looks slightly less horrific. In fact sounds comparable to last year, which was a bit up and down I seem to remember, and quite gusty.

I'll have to decide by 5am tomorrow anyway!

racer

Club Member
Yep just checked, rain stops at 8am. Sunny until 1ish patchy in the afternoon. See you all there!

candy red

Club Member
See you all there sorry to here so many dropping out but do understand when having to travel so far no fun if its persisting was looking forward to seeing Alex n Rose to chat on the state of the 280zx after coming back from being dipped good luck with it have a good day in the garage may the sun shine on the rest of us:thumbs:

Derrick :driving:;)

zedboy

Club Member
All packed up and ready to go..... 418 mile round trip here we come!!!! Just a shame it's not in my 240Z. The 350Z will be a much more relaxing drive!!! (Becky and Charlie, the in laws and my Dad following in the support car!!!)

Mrs HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
I havent seen a dry pic yet from people on the way down. I guess the queues are a few miles long by now so hope you are all comfortably on the stand and the ground isnt too muddy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

richiep

Club Member
I chose to skip it in the end. Looks like that might have been a good move. Although the rain appears to have stopped down there, looking at Facebook, there is absolute traffic chaos trying to get in. Large queues barely moving, routes restricted by the police to AA signed ones. Lots of hacked off people posting who've been sitting still for an hour or two.

IMO, Castle Combe is actually a really daft place to hold an event like Japfest. Japfest 2 at Donington is much more sensibly located...

richiep

Club Member
Probably! It's the same day as the second day of The Tatton Park show in August but I think I might opt for Japfest this year (even though I organise the club stand at Tatton).

candy red

Club Member
Yes also switch plans this morning got up at five with plans to leave at 6,30 the rain here was horrendous with very strong winds didn't ease up at all by 6.30 .So decided to give it a miss gutted as really wanted to go but no fun sitting in the car most of day ,well that was then 10 o'clock here now and sun is shining hardly a cloud in the sky I can only hope the guys that have gone have good weather too they do need to sort the traffic problems outi
i remember 2 years ago 4 hrs to get in :rofl:

Derrick:)

richiep

Club Member
My favourite Japfest post on Facebook so far this morning: "Europe's largest, wettest Japanese car park".

Lots of unhappy people posting...

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yes let's hope the 'hardy' attendees have a good day. I used to get very frustrated when I booked a track-day and it turned out damp.

Castle Combe Japfest - I have attended many and had some really good times but also some wet ones. The traffic situation is bad and bearing in mind the issues with the locals (like a lot of circuits) I'm surprised huge events like Japfest are allowed at such a small venue. Castle Combe circuit is a bottleneck inside the grounds never mind outside.

Unless you live locally it's not really worth travelling on the morning of the event.

Japfest 2 Donington - I have attended that and it too can have big queues. It would never have coped with a GP!

It seems the best traffic situation at a race circuit is when they hold an actual motor-race.:eek: Silverstone excluded.