Chrome Lotus Esprite Turbo

Ped

Club Member
A mate of mine has had his Lotus Esprite wrapped in 'chrome'. He won 'best in show' at the Bearwood College Classic Car Show near Reading on the 18th May. Not to every ones taste, but the crowd loved it, I couldn't believe the attention it got. I think its cool...

Wokingham-20130518-00140.jpg

He has had the car professionally photographed so check out his site below, he also explains why he did it:

Chrome Lotus Esprit

I took the Zed and it was the only 'classic' Jap car there. There were 250 cars and bikes on display from Ford Capri up to DB6, GT40s and brand new Bentleys.

Here are some nice pics from the show:

Car Show Finals | Bearwood Car Show

zpuppy

Well-Known Forum User
That,,,Looks so nice ! :thumbs: I wouldn't have thought it,,but I like ! Miss ya buddy ,,,across the pond in Canada now,, but hope to get back for a visit mid winter :)

Ped

Club Member
I thought I hadn't seen you around for a while, give me a shout when you are back in blighty. :cheers:

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
thats fricking awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!! it will proberly do me out of job but i do like it and after seeing this i would consider it myself for my car rather than painting it.

Ped

Club Member
thats fricking awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!! it will proberly do me out of job but i do like it and after seeing this i would consider it myself for my car rather than painting it.

He decided to go for the wrap as the lacquer was lifting and he had been quoted ££££££ for a full respray! As I understand it, the film can be removed for repairs etc with a heat gun/hairdryer so is not permanent. It does have a slight orange peel effect close up, but overall the effect is like being hit with a sledge hammer! I have also seen you can get matt wraps too, for something different...

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Wrapping could be the way to go - all cars supplied in white and wrapped by the dealer to the customer's choice!

I assume it's only practical on external surfaces?

That Lotus looks good in chrome, can you imagine following it at night with your headlights on - dangerous reflections or what?

How much to wrap an S30 then folks?

atomman

Club Member
A friend of mine wrap's cars has done quite a few now for footballers mainly,

An R8 in matt black which looked awsome :D and a SLS AMG in a satin silver which was even better, think it was about 1k for each but the wrap tends to end an the door shuts, cheaper than painting your R8 and you can just peel it off when your fed up of it,

A S30 is pretty small cant imagine it would be that much,

I think you might be right Rob, I seem to remember reading some where that it is illegal to have a chrome paint job on your car, due to light glare at night but i could be wrong,

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
I looked at wrapping mine (now painted a stealth matt grey) I was quoted about £1100 -£1800 depending on whether I wanted door shuts etc.

Takes a day or two, Lasts up to 5 years depending, can be peeled off and re done, finish is ok for this sort of thing (advertising, specials, logos short term one offs etc) but its not up to the standard of a good paint job....resists stone chips well though but seeing as most Z's never go that fast its kind of a mute point :p