Lowering question

johnymd

Club Member
If you lower a 240 by around 2 - 3" do you still need to section the strutts if you fit camber plates. This question arose from talking to GAZ yesterday when I took my old strutts in. When we got to talking about how short the strutts would be he mentioned then replaceing the standard top mounts with top mounted bolt on camber plates would lower the car about 2.5" with no other changes.

Any views on this?

I'm following this with great interest.

Were gaz talking about fitting their own camber plates? How low can you go without messing up all the geometry and ending up with bump steer issues?

zman240uk

Club Member
Will certainly drop it by at least 1 - 2 inches. You would need to measure a standard top mount to be sure.

johnymd

Club Member
I guess I should have thought about this a bit more before going to GAZ as I already have a set of 4 adjustable platform strutts I could have used with my new gound controll top mounts.

Franky - Ive never really notice bump stear and mine is lowered 2 - 3" already. I will be moving the lower arm pivot point up though when I change my front crossmember. Which will reduce bump stear.

tel240z

Club Member
John just build an old strut with the top moun,t then put yout new top mount along side with an imaginary horizontal reference line where the piston rod nut lives and measure the difference of the three tower mounting holes, as for bump steer thats all ironed out with p/steering

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Bump steer is what makes your car feel alive and Classic :driving:

Iron all that sort of stuff out and it makes your car feel clinical and numb, ever driven a Pug 407?

So John are you eliminating the rubber top mounts?

Last edited by a moderator:

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
replacing the standard top mounts with top mounted bolt on camber plates would lower the car about 2.5" with no other changes.

Any views on this?

You need to measure the depth of your stock mount against the depth of your new mounts - then you have the answer. (body mounting face to spring mounting face)

top_mounts.JPG

This is how I achieved "body drop" on my car avoiding the need to go short stroke suspension legs.

I fitted front stock mounts in the rear (NB late RS30 have very deep rear mounts - pictured left). This has worked well and set up will remain.

I fitted solid mount (pictured right) in the front, but it wasn't as successful and damper travel is compromised. I'll eventually change this for a short-stroke set up on the front and revert back to the stock front mount (center) in the process - nasty horrible metal mounts.

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
You need to measure the depth of your stock mount against the depth of your new mounts - then you have the answer. (body mounting face to spring mounting face)

top_mounts.JPG

This is how I achieved "body drop" on my car avoiding the need to go short stroke suspension legs.

I fitted front stock mounts in the rear (NB late RS30 have very deep rear mounts - pictured left). This has worked well and set up will remain.

I fitted solid mount (pictured right) in the front, but it wasn't as successful and damper travel is compromised. I'll eventually change this for a short-stroke set up on the front and revert back to the stock front mount (center) in the process - nasty horrible metal mounts.

Thats very interesting Zeddhead ! Do you have the original shock towers & standard struts? I am looking to go lower but I want to retain the shock towers & struts (dont want to cut in the springs either). Did you get the most right ones machined ?

Interesting thread
Hendrik

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Has anyone tried the Tokico strut mounts? Are they a different height or the same as stock? I couldn't find much info on them.

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Do you have the original shock towers & standard struts? I am looking to go lower but I want to retain the shock towers & struts (dont want to cut in the springs either).

No - converted to adjustable platforms -

rear_struts.JPG

Front_struts.jpg

Note I had some spring retaining cups made to suit for the rears.

Did you get the most right ones machined ?

No I bought them from DJR - but they are old hat now and am sure better versions are available. As I said, they will be removed becuase I want the stock front mount reinstated which will mean sectioned front legs to get the ride height correct with suitable amounts of damper movement.

Personally speaking, I would avoid any metal bush / mount in favour of Urethane of a road car.