New engine !

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all

It has been a long time since I posted a thread. In februari, I ordered a new engine at the Z farm. an L28 with moderate cam and worked head. I went for installation in March, but things didnt go as planned for installation.

I´ve fot a special manifold for 6-motorcycle carbs made by the Bogg Brothers in the UK, which, in accordance with a bad exhaust and older dizzy, didnot work well with the engine. It produced a large flat spot over 3500 revs.

After some months of playing around, the following extra items were fitted:

-electronic dizzy and coil from a 280zx.
-the dizzy was tuned for the engine
-complete janspeed exhaust with janspeed header.
-front and rear strut braces
-Range Rover Calipers and Peugeot Brake Discs.

After some work on the dizzy, fitting the new exhaust, and tuning the carbs, the results were great.There is still a small spot noticable, but neglectable. It produces 202 rwhp on the dyno and pulls well. The cam starts kicking in at around 3700-3800 revs and goes to 6700-6900 revs.

Here are some pictures:

P1010060.jpg

P1010061.jpg

P1010064.jpg

P1010069.jpg

P1010071.jpg

Let me know your thoughts!

Hendrik

Last edited by a moderator:

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Hendrik, thank you for that

I love your thought process and the results looks great

You mention some power figures, do you have any graphs so we can see the profile of the power better, headline numbers are only 10% of the real story.

Mr.G

Club Member
Sounds great Henrik, I like that you've done something different, which often means you are the one who needs to do the research and development in getting it spot on, but it sounds like you are almost there!

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
Well done it looks great, good to see someone doing something a little different too.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Well done - nice to have something unique! :thumbs: .

Brakes - do your discs use ALL the pad area? I have the same set-up but my discs are about 2mm radius too small.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
202 ? Is that not flywheel power ?
202 is a credible and achievable RWHP for a tweaked 2.8 equating to "around" 240+ at the fly, but its all nonsense without a graph really

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
Sean - the Cam was procured from your Mate - DJ Road & Race - and has performed exactly as predicted. Top Man.

Bike Carbs are a bit of an unknown for many of us, hence the initial difficulty of getting them set up correctly.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
240bhp with "an L28 with moderate cam" ? Why're you and I wasting our time then ?
Sorry Sean I don't understand, my current config runs around 285HP which is'nt exactly "wasted" :confused:

Regarding Hendrik's setup anything around 85+ HP per litre is a great result....much higher and compromise begins to creep in.

Its really good to see something different being tried instead of the somewhat jaded "bolt some triples on" approach

I am sure that with a more aggressive cam, Hendirks setup could produce maybe 250, ( I would like to know more about the engine, compression ratio, head, chamber and port size etc)

Come on Hendrik, spill the beans sir

BenGT

Well-Known Forum User
That certainly is a gorgeous looking intake setup - I would love to know how much something like that costs?
Do you have any interesting engine management in there at all?

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
I would assume some "extra" horses were gained by using these bike carbs, rather than just the engine mods. I would think engine/head work is nothing that is tried and tested already. If my single brain cell remembers reading somewhere, Steve gained an extra 40 horses going from triples to throttle bodies (and maybe other bits)...do I remember correctly Steve?

And sometimes two engines built to the same spec, can produce different outputs, maybe Henrik got a good one:)

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all

Well, first of all, I´m not a car technician ;). I had the work done in England because of 2 good reasons:

1) price (it is cheaper)
2) technical expertise, which is better in england than in belgium

About the headwork done, Duncan will be able to give full details on that.

The carbs are Yamaha´s 1300 SJ types. The venturi´s are 42mm. It has an alumunium air box, and the cold air comes from a large K&N filter from the front. I payed around 1500£ for the carb setup, which is reasonable if you look at triple carb prices..I haven´t got a graph Skiddel. I just called boggies again, and he doesn´t do graphs. I will go to a Belgian rolling road in short time. But Dave said it went up to 200 with it hit 5500rpm, and I must say, it really feels alive at that rpm. Maybe the bike carbs do something else on that front, because it revs very quickly. (I dont have a lighter flywheel)

Sorry if there are mistakes in my english language. Ill try do to a dyno here asap

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
May have a set of Bike Carbs ( Mikunis from a Yamaha R1 ) already mounted onto the Inlet Manifold for the 'Z' Range, coming into stock soon.

They do tend to rev-up more quickly than the Triple Webers or Dellortos - something to do with the shorter Inlet Tract, but no doubt someone can describe this with much more technical language than can I.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
(removed so as not to take thread off track)

The key thing to me is yet another person is experimenting and trying new cakes rather than getting stuck eating the same old recipe that Mom made……. so thumbs up to him.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
(removed so as not to take thread off track)

More pictures and info please........