Enjoy it while you can...

Mr.F

Inactive
This has been threatened for some time, but this article by Phil Cooper from Classic Cars For Sale now makes dismal reading:

As you may have already heard by now the EU have passed a new law which was backed by the UK Secretary of State for Transport banning cars over 20 years of age from being driven on the roads.

This will have such a profound impact upon the classic car owners across Europe that this week it seemed inappropriate for me for me to continue in my usual jovial style.

Below is the statement that was given to the commons yesterday to explain the reasoning behind EU Directive 2011/35/T.

‘Having looked at a number of studies, conducted across a wide variety of countries, it becomes clear that cars over 20 years old have far higher CO2 emissions than their contemporary counterparts. Furthermore accidents involving pedestrians and motorists more likely to lead to a fatality in cars over 20 years old than in cars produced since 2008.

It would be remiss of the European Union not to consider both the environmental and human costs that older vehicles present to the public. This decision will no doubt be vilified by motoring organisations as a curtailment of motorists freedoms, however looking at the statistics there was simply no way in good conscience, we could not act.’

This is obviously not going to come into effect immediately and is set to begin from the 1st of April 2013 so there is time for people to comply. So far the Department for Transport has not addressed the specific concerns of classic car enthusiasts but one would imagine they will need to fairly quickly as this is going to have serious consequences for many businesses as well as enthusiasts.
The act doesn’t mean it will be impossible to own or drive a car over 20 years of age but rather that the rules governing it will become much stricter.

In future anyone wishing to keep a car over 20 years of age will have to register the car as off road permanently and will then need to apply for a special license to drive the car to events. This licence will need to be applied for three months before attending any event and a maximum of 5 licenses will be granted per year.

It is not yet clear what this will mean for people competing in motor sporting fixtures or whether the licenses will be granted per car or per person.

Rather outrageously the DfT spokesperson I spoke to claimed this would not make a big difference to the classic car scene and that they were rather more concerned that low income families who owned older cars were able to replace their aging vehicle with no additional financial outlay.

I’m sure I will be writing more about this at a later date as I imagine the classic car world will be abuzz with little else for the next two years.
I have included a link below to a website with full details on EU Directive 2011/35/T. Anyone wishing to buy a copy of the directive for £20 can do so with a credit card but please check that it expires at noon on 1st April 2011.

More details to follow as soon as I have them."

Phil Cooper

philcooper@classiccarsforsale.co.uk

Follow this link for more detail April Fools' Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

zpuppy

Well-Known Forum User
:D Nice one Mr F !! :thumbs: I nearly had a # 2 in my jeans when I first started reading that :eek: :driving::p

Mr.G

Club Member
haha, you got me Mr. F. What's scary is that it could just be around the corner if those loons got their way, dont give them any ideas please!!!

moonraker_tom

Well-Known Forum User
Excellent, I nearly opened the scotch and had a drink :D
I particulary like the piece about having to apply for a license 3 months in advance.

Now off to open a bottle of red!

surreyseagull

Well-Known Forum User
cheers mike!! i had just put baseball bat in car and was going to westminster and smash a few heads.at least i wont get done for gbh now and can have a beer instead.
seriously mr g is right though,were run by those european toxxers and i wouldnt put anything past them in the future.

Ninehigh

Well-Known Forum User
Oooooh I was ready to walk down there myself then... I was thinking "yeah and by the time this legislation comes in my current car will be 18, and f**k them if they think I'm getting 6 licences a week because I'm broke"

tel240z

Club Member
Yep you had me there Mike depression set in instantly,remember though i work in an industry that as of jan 3 2012 any vans, motorhomes, trucks over 1.25 tons unladen, around 10 years older will be subject to a £200 fee for entering the low emission zone ie inside the M25 so thats most of your self employed builders off to buy new vans

richiep

Club Member
Don't do that Mike!!! :eek: :lol:

I was well off into despair and venomous swearing/outrage before I got to the bottom...

Trouble is this kind of thing is just up the street of those cretinous EUSSR commie bastards in Brussels. :mad:

They can take away my Z keys when they pry them from my cold, dead fingers... :devil:

themoment

Forum User
I would like to see an authority figure tell me i cant drive my z. They and everyone else around them will die! I would kill and enjoy it.

themoment

Forum User
They need to take all those cars they made that people are not buying like the newer cars and get rid off them and use the cars we already have. When a car goes sour they should have to fix it up by law, and not take it to the junk yard. There should be a law that you have to drive whats already been made. And all factories that make them must stop and be destroyed, That way we will be polluting less because we don't have to make the new cars any more. Do you know how much they pollute to make those new cars.

Mr.F

Inactive
I'm pleased that you all took this so well. Apparently Classic Cars For Sale and the author of the piece got a more mixed reaction, with some subscribers believing that it was "in very bad taste" and "not funny at all".
The problem is, of course, like all the best April Fool's hoaxes, it has a little kernel of believable truth. Such draconian measures are already in place (maybe not quite to the same extent) in other countries. We need to remain aware of what is being discussed behind closed doors and fight against the implementation of such legislation here.