240z + 1JZ-GTE (manual)

johnymd

Club Member
The bigger sump in not an option for the reason I mentioned earlier. Your link is for a front sump and my crossmember would run right through the centre of it. Front sumps are good on brakeing but really back on acceleration for the same room reason mine is bad for brakeing. The factory Toyota sumps are well designed and engineered, just like the rest of the engine, it's just I pushing the boundaries.

Accuse people looks like my favourite at the moment. It's only really the occasional hard left handlers I need to protect the engine from. I will set a limiter in the maps that operates a minor fuel cut on very low oil pressure. Then I won't need to keep an eye on it and also protect the engine until I decide which route to take. I will also run a bit more oil.

johnymd

Club Member
I know a lot of people frown on the oil additives like slick 50 and stp but is there any benefit in these?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Whatever the merits of oil additives, I don't think they can help when the oil pickup is high and dry.

johnymd

Club Member
The lack of or low oil pressure is not a regular thing. It is just on the odd occasion on a track that has a very high speed long left hand corner or a very tight left hander after very heavy breaking.

johnymd

Club Member
Results from dyno day...........disappointing. Car feels good so I was surprised when the first run produced only 307hp. The last time it was on the dyno it made 394hp so that's a fair chunk down. Played about with the spark and got it up to 344hp. What I did notice was that their dyno showed a maximum boost of 13psi and it only got there right at the end of the rev range. I put it down to me not calibrating the map sensor correctly so added it to my things to look at. We ended the day there and I took the car home. Car still felt nice on the drive home.

Now I've studied the logs for today I see that the boost never went above .9bar so the 13psi the dyno was showing is correct and the power is low because the car just didn't make much boost today compared to yesterday when it was making 17psi. I suspect the boost solenoid has either come disconnected or just given up the ghost...............please let it not be a turbo.

johnymd

Club Member
My replacement turbo's lasted for Spa but smoked on day one and only got worse. They were fine on throttle but as soon as I lifted off I was followed by clouds of white smoke. Spent most of the day swapping them over and it's fixed the smoking. I've not taken the car for a drive but all looks good so far. To my surprise the old tutbo's didn't look that bad. I'm going to get the old ones looked at with a view to light opting and a rebuild.

240z

Club Member
good luck with it mate, hope it was just the turbos and new ones solve the problem. I read that valve stem seals can cause the 'lift off' smoking. But as with everything on the internet, you can worry too much once you start looking for problems!

johnymd

Club Member
I was starting to think it was an engine problem but it certainly looks better now. I'm hoping the turbo was giving me the loss of power too.

Thanks Phil. Looks like you really got me out of trouble with the turbo's.

johnymd

Club Member
Fitted an oil cooler via a sandwich plate today which also allowed me to install the oil temperature sensor. This should provide some interesting data from my upcoming track session.

johnymd

Club Member
The next stage of the evolution started today. Stripped off all the old turbo's and associated bits. Test fitted the new manifold and turbo. Now of the manifold to hea bolts lined up and some were over 3mm out. Luckily Dean turned up just at the right time and we went to his factory and milled all the holes in the correct places. Test fitting then made it clear that the waiste gate pipe was in the wrong place so cut it off and turned it 90, so it's all prepped and ready for welding. Started drawing up a list of parts required so I can carry on latter next week. Shouldn't take too long before its up and running again.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57

johnymd

Club Member
Russell - the standard engine and ecu are superb. I can't think of a better way to get 350hp in a 240z. Limiting the boost, due to the undersized waiste gates is the biggest problem but can be managed. Changing to 264 cams and better dump pipe were also good upgrades to take the power to just short of 400. For me, a lot of the fun is in the developement so the next stage was inevitable. With a single I will be bale to push the power up and control the boost much better. The standard engine should cope with another 150hp without any issues so that's the direction I'm heading in.

Russell

Club Member
I'm a bit worried about over boost. Mine has twins but they are rebuilt with steel internals.

With the cat removed and a 3 inch exhaust it is likely to creep up from what I have read. How did you deal with it?

johnymd

Club Member
Yes, it will creep and hit boost cut. The ECU will prevent the boost from going above 1bar by cutting ignition when it does. I used a Gizmo boost controller with an output voltage clamp. This prevents the ECU from seeing anything over 1 bar and prevents boost cut. This controller did a great job of preventing boost from going over 1.2bar for the 4 years I run it.

Mark N

Club Member
I bought a new gt35** can't remember the full spec but sounds suitable at the time.

I'm looking forward to see how this goes as I'm using a GT3582R with the mid sized turbine housing, which I think is 0.82 A/R, on the RB.
I am just hoping that it's not going to be too laggy!
I'm still a long way off getting the engine in the car though! :(