Go Back   ZClub.net > General > General discussion
Click here to advertise with the ZClub

Old 04-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk66fastback View Post
I think they are illegal! I don't think that because they have changed historic status to the 40yo rolling emption that the laws on the number plates changed with it? They are two different laws.

Apart from which, they look ***** on a more modern car anyway! And also on a year of car that would never have had them in the first place!
On the legal side it was discussed on Piston heads in detail (check out 18th post down - Marshalla - http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1565310)

From what I can tell, changes to the Finance Act moved the exempt vehicles goalposts (those with historic tax and at 40 years old), to basically any car over the age of 40 each April (so a '76 car in April 2017). This affected the VED which governed the pre '73 cars as that states

(a) it is an exempt vehicle for the purposes of paragraph 1A(1) of Schedule 2 to the
Act(b)

Additionally - I've also had it confirmed verbally by the DVLA direct that it runs with the rolling 40 year exemption, and have asked them for this in writing as well.

I suspect that it was just an unforeseen consequence of changing the exemption - and has just been allowed to continue.

In terms of look - thats subjective anyway, I might hate something you like or vice versa, thats just individuals for you. And, people will do what they want anyhow, whether you agree with them or not. I apologise if my car offends you with its black and silver plates but I'm not changing them for now. I'll get some modern plates made up in a few weeks and decide after that.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:08 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
Except from the DVLA (inside DVLA)
Exactly Moriarty - so whilst that states 2015 on your particular note, it rolls on with the 40 year exemption.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:58 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1115
Also had a response from the DVLA confirming the legal changes:

Dear Jon_flynn,

Thank you for your enquiry received on 2/4/2017.
Your case reference number is XXXXXX.

There are specific requirements for the display of number plates for vehicles manufactured on or before 1st January 1977.

Since 1st April 2017 vehicles manufactured before 1st January 1977 can also display the older style plates. In order to qualify the vehicle must have been changed in to the Historic Vehicle taxation class.

Vehicles made before 1st January 1977 may display traditional style “black and white” number plates. For example; white, silver or grey characters on a black plate.

We have produced an easy to understand guide, INF104 which provides additional information on permitted dimension, display, font and shape of number plates for vehicles.

The INF104 can be downloaded for free from: http://www.gov.uk/government/publica...-number-plates

I hope this clarifies matters for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2017, 06:33 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Flynn View Post
Also had a response from the DVLA confirming the legal changes:

Dear Jon_flynn,

Thank you for your enquiry received on 2/4/2017.
Your case reference number is XXXXXX.

There are specific requirements for the display of number plates for vehicles manufactured on or before 1st January 1977.

Since 1st April 2017 vehicles manufactured before 1st January 1977 can also display the older style plates. In order to qualify the vehicle must have been changed in to the Historic Vehicle taxation class.

Vehicles made before 1st January 1977 may display traditional style “black and white” number plates. For example; white, silver or grey characters on a black plate.

We have produced an easy to understand guide, INF104 which provides additional information on permitted dimension, display, font and shape of number plates for vehicles.

The INF104 can be downloaded for free from: www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-registration-numbers-and-number-plates

I hope this clarifies matters for you.
Might be worth copying that into your other thread where we also discussed the number plate issue

UK RHD 1976 260z 2+2
standard L28
Old 04-04-2017, 06:36 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1115
Done!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2017, 07:32 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1052
Your plates don't offend me at all!

I just don't like them

They must have just changed that ruling then as it says as of April 1 2017?

I agree it's been discussed ad infinitum on the 'net and no-one inc the DVLA has been clear as to what the ruling is - but if you have an email from them you can keep in your glovebox and wave at a copper if you get stopped, then great.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk66fastback View Post
Your plates don't offend me at all!

I just don't like them

They must have just changed that ruling then as it says as of April 1 2017?

I agree it's been discussed ad infinitum on the 'net and no-one inc the DVLA has been clear as to what the ruling is - but if you have an email from them you can keep in your glovebox and wave at a copper if you get stopped, then great.
the dvla doc linked in my email specifically states it as well