No username? Register here.
Go Back   ZClub.net > General > Rebuilds and restorations
MJP AUTO

Old 01-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 559
Pot-holes ? Jeez, don't want to lose an eye going over one of those....in any case, we don't have those here......although if we did they're called 'chicken-nests' ! nid de poules......google it !

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zstor...6789934?ref=hl

Club Datsun-France www.datsun-france.com

I Love Zs.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Website member
Sixth gear

When your over next pop in and I'll demonstrate,also, you haven't taken your age into consideration,I once sed that people who go from a 240/260 to a 280zx can't take the bumps anymore due to their age,its about time you admit you feel the bumps more now you are a lot older than when we had our Zeds in the nineties,that's why porky burns sold his 260
Old 01-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanDezart View Post
Because your springs are stiffer ?

The idea is not to go for a stiffer ride when driving a lowered car.
If your just interested in the look and not the handling, then yes!

I thought in most cases the over riding point was to make the car handle better, hence lower and stiffer springs, If you want a soft ride... buy a Rover

If there is, as you seem to suggest, a market for lowered but softly sprung kits, then i would of thought progressive springs were 'de rigueur' end of, coilover or not?

UK RHD 1976 260z 2+2
standard L28
Old 01-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by toopy View Post
If your just interested in the look and not the handling, then yes!

If there is, as you seem to suggest, a market for lowered but softly sprung kits, then i would of thought progressive springs were 'de rigueur' end of, coilover or not?
It is a fact that not everyone who buys a sports-car wants to or can drive to the limit* of the car's ability - they're happy with the look they seek.

*some of us push those limits further but the fun is always to be had near the limit.

Burnsy kept losing his teeth over those Southall potholes.

I've had Eibach progressive springs for over 10 years, before that had Leda and been on coilovers since 1990 - world of difference.

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

I Love Zs.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:03 PM
Website member
Sixth gear

Stick with yer Eibachs,like you I've had em both
Old 01-03-2017, 03:10 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 559
Planning too but going up to Iluminas from HPs.

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

I Love Zs.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1093
Interesting read so far hearing different peoples thought’s and opinions from setups that they have experienced and operate.

I imagine this summer that I will finally be in a position that all essential (boring maintenance) jobs will be complete and I can look to some performance oriented upgrades such as suspension which in stock form is completely inadequate for my purposes. I’ve been considering and weighing up all of the options as best as reading the internet will allow and am torn in terms of approach.

I’ve got to the point that I’m considering either a straight bolt in solution of Eibach progressive lowering springs with Tockio Illumia inserts vs some kind of coilovers which I have been reluctant to consider on the basis that it requires the struts to be sectioned and welded. The performance and aesthetic benefits of coilovers seem undeniable in terms of adjustability however at the cost of chopping up the original struts and dare I say it potentially ride comfort. That last point gives me the most concern though, as much as I enjoy winding the car up on spirited drives or possibly the track, the majority of the time will be spent cruising where comfort is king!

No matter how many threads I’ve read or people I’ve spoken to I’m still no better off in terms of a solution. I need to get out and sample some members different setups and so what I think, given how subjective this topic is and how much everyone’s setup will differ it’s very difficult to get any straight answer no matter how good peoples intentions are. I will continue to follow this with a keen interest.

Sean are you looking at this from a potential business perspective to try and offer the Z community in Europe an off the shelf solution or is this for your personal car?
Old 01-03-2017, 04:16 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 332
I have to say, that the improvement over standard is very noticeable

I dare say my springs were still the originals and the shocks were of unknown brand/quality

The car now rides 'softer' over mildly rough roads than it did before, even with the harder springs,
though i suspect that is more to do with the shocks than anything else. It used to bang and crash over everything and the ride height looked pants!

The point is its difficult to describe a particular setup, because the chances are you arrived at that setup from a different reference point to the next person.
Riding in different cars is really the only way to get a 'feel' for the differences.

Ive never been in a car with coilovers for example, but i know my basic setup is way better than what it replaced and works for me..... for now

UK RHD 1976 260z 2+2
standard L28
Old 01-03-2017, 04:17 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanDezart View Post
Pot-holes ? Jeez, don't want to lose an eye going over one of those....in any case, we don't have those here......although if we did they're called 'chicken-nests' ! nid de poules......google it !
Ha Ha, pull the other one........ having a laugh mon fils.....

Your Northern Bretagne roads are the reason I had to visit the osteopath and bought a 280ZX Turbo thinking I was getting too old for the 240Z ( running on Tokica Illuminas and Eibachs for the record )

Never mind, it is there waiting as future pipe and slipperdom beckons a la Riddler
No Rover for this vieil homme

Back on thread another vote for Tokico and Eibachs !
Old 01-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 332
I suppose in all this another point to consider is the quality/hardness of your bushes, as they can make a marked difference to ride harshness alone

UK RHD 1976 260z 2+2
standard L28
Old 01-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvega View Post
Ha Ha, pull the other one........ having a laugh mon fils.....

Your Northern Bretagne roads are the reason I had to visit the osteopath and bought a 280ZX Turbo thinking I was getting too old for the 240Z ( running on Tokica Illuminas and Eibachs for the record )
Normal - they don't want toll roads so who pays for the maintenance ? And industry (apart from growing pigs and apples is a bit scare so local authorities are a bit strapped.....and you know how much better it is south of the Loire (a bit like south of the Thames.....ducks for cover) in Vendée !

Eibachs and HPs (w/out coilove) also has my vote as the best comfort/value for money plug-in 'kit'.
However, having driven that and the same parts on mine WITH coilovers, from a spirited driver's point of view, one can push a lot faster in confidence AND more comfortable on the road with the full HP travel allowed. You get what yer pays for as ol' Action-Man Eagle one-eye pointed out and lowering w/out coilovers is a compromise whereas compromising your OEM strut platforms is a definitive as fitting ZG arches.

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

I Love Zs.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:35 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody928 View Post
The performance and aesthetic benefits of coilovers seem undeniable in terms of adjustability however at the cost of chopping up the original struts and dare I say it potentially ride comfort. That last point gives me the most concern though, as much as I enjoy winding the car up on spirited drives or possibly the track, the majority of the time will be spent cruising where comfort is king!

Sean are you looking at this from a potential business perspective to try and offer the Z community in Europe an off the shelf solution or is this for your personal car?
I can confirm that setting up your Z correctly with good quality (not the best nor the cheapest) on coilovers does NOT compromise ride quality - as previously stated, it is better than than same parts w/out coilovers.

As well previously stated, most want a decent level of comfort AND a lowered stance and they're not looking for best roadhandling 'cos that's not their thang !

Mine'll be sorted Woody and above the average spec because without a doubt and despite me saying I'm de-tracking the car into more of a road GT.....I will crack at one point and need raw Bavarian meat for lunch and there's a lot of it about this side of the water.

What I'm looking for is a cost-effective lowering kit to fit upon USA imports 'cos their suspension will 99% be shagged and even if in good nick, their OEM spec is too high and soft.
The kit needs to be road comfortable but firm enough to behave on a few fast-road Sunday runs and maybe a track-day per year.

Ideally coilovers BUT open to ideas.

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

I Love Zs.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:36 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 332
A bit of ignorance here on my part, but what i dont understand fully with coilovers is....

Adjusting the spring platform up or down, changes the ride height, but how can that happen without then starting to compromise the shock travel on lower settings?

UK RHD 1976 260z 2+2
standard L28
Old 01-03-2017, 04:38 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 770
Isn't Mr Ad V, along with intrax working on a conversion kit, so it should be much more cost effective?
Old 01-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by franky View Post
Isn't Mr Ad V, along with intrax working on a conversion kit, so it should be much more cost effective?
His stuff is good but his applications are way above spec for most of us - he's a rally-man.

I'll be passing by his place at Easter for a coffee so I'll have a snifter.

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

I Love Zs.