No username? Register here.
Go Back   ZClub.net > General > Rebuilds and restorations

Old 20-07-2016, 03:18 AM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1052
A day or two I would think - ask your shipping co. they'll be able to tell you.

Over a decade ago I felt brave and drove a '65 Mustang Coupe straight off the boat from Bristol across country to Peterborough one New Year's Eve in the wet and cold. Not sure I'd do it now. US plates, insured on the VIN.

No idea what the moral of that story was, probably that there was no heater in the Ford, and I was frozen.

Get it trailered!

Oh, and I've ordered the JDM lights now so looking forward to them coming over.

Mike
1972 240Z US LHD ...
Old 20-07-2016, 04:04 AM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1066
No coil overs, just lowering springs and Koni shocks. T3 lower control arms front and rear with lots of negative for road course driving. Fairly basic set up with some mods. Works for me and didn't break the bank. LOL

1971 240Z Street/Track
1971 240Z Street
1973 240Z Ford V-8 Track
1969 Ford Torino 428 CJ
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
(2) 240Z shell rollers
Old 21-07-2016, 12:32 AM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk66fastback View Post
A day or two I would think - ask your shipping co. they'll be able to tell you.

Over a decade ago I felt brave and drove a '65 Mustang Coupe straight off the boat from Bristol across country to Peterborough one New Year's Eve in the wet and cold. Not sure I'd do it now. US plates, insured on the VIN.

No idea what the moral of that story was, probably that there was no heater in the Ford, and I was frozen.

Get it trailered!

Oh, and I've ordered the JDM lights now so looking forward to them coming over.
Spoke to them earlier, they said assuming all the paperwork is in order and payments have all be made then within a couple of days it will be released for collection.

Cool story, I'd love to have one to match however after speaking to the DVLA on the phone yesterday they informed me that it would be illegal to drive the car on US plates even with an equivalent MOT and insurance. So the car will be being trailered....

Snap! I went with the repro ones with gaskets, I prefer the look if nothing else so it should at least look the part. I've got too much to look forward to and the lights are fairly low down the list at the moment! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacCyclone View Post
No coil overs, just lowering springs and Koni shocks. T3 lower control arms front and rear with lots of negative for road course driving. Fairly basic set up with some mods. Works for me and didn't break the bank. LOL
Ok good to know, I'm sure in the not too distant future I'll be considering my suspension options and brakes. Is that a fairly standard setup then? What sort of suspension do people usually run on these cars? Understandable, unfortunately everyone has a budget. I'm all to aware of this myself however I'm also of the view, do the job once and do it properly
Old 21-07-2016, 02:29 AM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1066
I did not want to cut or weld on my stock shock towers, thus I did not go with the coil overs.

Your preference on coil overs or not, lots of Zeds with them and lots without.

I run vented and cross drilled rotors, cooler can on the rotor, and race pads. Stock calipers with steel braided brake lines all around. Works well for track day car and my buddy runs the same set up on a BRE 240zed vintage race car. No brake fade and constant pedal feel.

Others out there run big 4 or 6 piston calipers and 4 wheel disc brakes....again your call and pocket book.

Hope that helps.

Mike

1971 240Z Street/Track
1971 240Z Street
1973 240Z Ford V-8 Track
1969 Ford Torino 428 CJ
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
(2) 240Z shell rollers
Old 03-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1093
Thanks for the info Mike, Coilovers don't appeal to me given the car has to be seriously modified. Seems a bit overkill for road use imo. Sounds like the stock system is pretty good if well maintained and has decent pads, much like my MR2. I'm sure I'll be visiting all of those subjects in greater detail is the near future as the project progresses.

In other news its been confirmed that the ship has now sailed and is expected to dock in Southampton on the 15th August. I'm hoping to get the car collected before the end of the week to take it to Fourways engineering to check over the car for me, do the light conversions and have it MOT'd in order that I can get it road registered. I was hoping to have the car road ready just in time for the Goodwood Revival, however I think I'm being ambitious to say the least. From my latest findings the paperwork is going to hold the whole process up, however we'll wait and see...
Old 04-08-2016, 12:09 AM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1052
Have your rear lights from JDM showed up yet Woody? My blem units eventually made it here and the quality is superb - and I can't see any blemishes at all ... aim to fit them in a week or two when I have the time. Will do a write-up on the forum ...

Mike
1972 240Z US LHD ...
Old 05-08-2016, 12:04 AM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk66fastback View Post
Have your rear lights from JDM showed up yet Woody? My blem units eventually made it here and the quality is superb - and I can't see any blemishes at all ... aim to fit them in a week or two when I have the time. Will do a write-up on the forum ...
They should have! lol Parcel force have been their usual brilliant selves and mis delivered and screwed me around a few times now. I'm hoping that they'll get delivered on Monday.

Glad to hear the quality is superb, I'm hoping mine will be the same. Should look the business either way. Much more cost effective than trying to get some genuine Nissan ones anyway thats for sure. Yeah it would be great to read a write up in due course.

I'll be sure to put some pics up of mine once they arrive
Old 05-08-2016, 12:53 PM
Z Club member
Fifth gear

Member 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody928 View Post
Thanks for the info Mike, Coilovers don't appeal to me given the car has to be seriously modified.
It's worth noting that there are options that don't extend to having to do things like chop around and weld in camber plates. For example, BC Racing and one or two other brands offer coilover kits that bolt to the standard strut tower tops. Camber adjustment is more fiddly (you have to drop the strut to make a tweak), but for a road car, once set, you are unlikely to be dicking around with camber much, and shock settings are easily accessible. McKinney Motorsports in the US offer a kit that can use either camber plates or the original factory top insulator mounts. I think TechnoToyTuning also now offer a top mount that negates the camber plates too with their very nice setup.

Of course, all of these require original struts to be cut and threaded tubes welded in place etc (although in the T3 case, they just sell you a complete package with all the work done - you can get a rebate/credit for sending in strut leg cores afterwards if you want).

Last edited by richiep; 05-08-2016 at 01:00 PM..
Old 06-08-2016, 01:26 AM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by richiep View Post
It's worth noting that there are options that don't extend to having to do things like chop around and weld in camber plates. For example, BC Racing and one or two other brands offer coilover kits that bolt to the standard strut tower tops. Camber adjustment is more fiddly (you have to drop the strut to make a tweak), but for a road car, once set, you are unlikely to be dicking around with camber much, and shock settings are easily accessible. McKinney Motorsports in the US offer a kit that can use either camber plates or the original factory top insulator mounts. I think TechnoToyTuning also now offer a top mount that negates the camber plates too with their very nice setup.

Of course, all of these require original struts to be cut and threaded tubes welded in place etc (although in the T3 case, they just sell you a complete package with all the work done - you can get a rebate/credit for sending in strut leg cores afterwards if you want).
Thanks for the info dude, I'm glad I was wrong on that front. Will be worth investigating more to see what my options are. I've got no idea what's on it at the moment so I'll have to wait and see on that count first. Personally I'm not sure I'd want to weld camber plates in, however each to their own. I want to go for more of a period looking setup if possible with a few modern touches here and there

I must admit I've always gone for shocks and springs on the basis that they do everything I need, are low maintenance and don't tempt me to constantly fiddle with settings. What' the ride generally like with coilovers? Given the setup I have on my MR2, I'm not looking for anything mental, I would quite like to keep the ride quite comfortable while stiffening up the chassis a bit to improve the handling. I imagine roll bars, strut braces and urethane bushes will be on the list to assist. I take it with the shocks you can just buy new inserts and its plug and play?
Old 06-08-2016, 09:09 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 514
I have run GAZ fully ad able setup on my blue car and the quality of the ride is superb. I wind the damping down for road use and it absorbs bump really well. Even at high speed when your on uneven roads or hit a bump in the road there is no drama and the car stays fully planted with no stearing adjustment needed. For ultimate handling on the track you turn the damping up and it performs like a track car should. I e owned quite a few 240's recently and driven them all a fair bit. The black car had standard US suspension and mostly rubber bushes and would ride very smooth and comfortable but not as stable/planted if you hit a big hump in the road. The green car had updated/lowered springs and full Urophane bush kit. It handled better than the black car and felt a bit more stable but ride was a bit harsh. I would choose GAZ every time for comfort and handling. My blue car also has fully rose jointed suspension and solid top mounts and still feels comfortable to me.

'73 240z 1JZ-GTE. Was pretty quick. 11.10@132.5mph
'72 240z RHD (4BOA) Painted and waiting assembly.
'72 240z LHD Silver "Rat look" daily runaround.
'76 280z ExLHD Red v8 Lexus powered restomod.
'74 260z LHD Restomod just started.
'71 240z LHD zg arched. Still in California.

Go to: www.240z.me.uk to checkout the cars.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:23 AM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1066
I am running the T3 top hats on my street / track car but it is a harsh ride on the street with no rubber insulator. Lowering springs and Koni adjustable shocks with T3 LCA. Drops the car a good 3 inches and nice and tight on the track but as I said it is a harsh ride on the street.

Might want to go with GAZ as John already recommends them.

1971 240Z Street/Track
1971 240Z Street
1973 240Z Ford V-8 Track
1969 Ford Torino 428 CJ
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
(2) 240Z shell rollers
Old 08-08-2016, 05:40 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnymd View Post
I have run GAZ fully ad able setup on my blue car and the quality of the ride is superb. I wind the damping down for road use and it absorbs bump really well. Even at high speed when your on uneven roads or hit a bump in the road there is no drama and the car stays fully planted with no stearing adjustment needed. For ultimate handling on the track you turn the damping up and it performs like a track car should. I e owned quite a few 240's recently and driven them all a fair bit. The black car had standard US suspension and mostly rubber bushes and would ride very smooth and comfortable but not as stable/planted if you hit a big hump in the road. The green car had updated/lowered springs and full Urophane bush kit. It handled better than the black car and felt a bit more stable but ride was a bit harsh. I would choose GAZ every time for comfort and handling. My blue car also has fully rose jointed suspension and solid top mounts and still feels comfortable to me.
Thanks for the recommendation and review, very useful to have someone who has experienced various different setup's. From your three experiences above they seem like the optimum choice, I just want to avoid being shaken to death on the UK roads with a setup that's too harsh. While I appreciate good handling, I already have a vehicle which is on the verge of being very firm and am keen to have something more comfortable, particularly considering it will be doing some touring.

It seems I may have been hasty with making judgement's of coilover setups. I take it that the GAZ coil overs are literally plug and play? I've had a bit of look at them and they're about 1200, does that sound about right? I won't be rushing to do this immediately as I want to see what package the car has first and then save up some budget, while making a list of priorities of what to sort first.

On another note I see that your in Essex, you couldn't be persuaded to take me out in the blue car to see what its like if I made the trip over to Essex could you? (no rush at all, however it would be great to experience the setup first hand).

Also I've been meaning to ask someone in the know, what's the stock US four speed gearbox like to live with? I take it that the gearing is too short for motorway cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacCyclone View Post
I am running the T3 top hats on my street / track car but it is a harsh ride on the street with no rubber insulator. Lowering springs and Koni adjustable shocks with T3 LCA. Drops the car a good 3 inches and nice and tight on the track but as I said it is a harsh ride on the street.

Might want to go with GAZ as John already recommends them.
Thanks for the input Mike, sounds like it handles like a dream but wouldn't be appropriate for my needs on the street. I will need to do the research when the time comes, however the GAZ coilover setup sounds like a very good option
Old 20-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1093
Well time for a few updates, a few weeks ago my Blem repro JDM tail lights turned up from the US. Safe to say I'm very pleased with the quality of these and they are being stored ready for fitting in due course.

In other news the boat docked on Tuesday night and I've been awaiting confirmation of collection and unloading in order that I can collect. Assuming the shipping company decides to pull its finger out the car will be collected on Monday morning and transported to Fourways Engineering where I will finally get to see it for the first time!

I'm still intending to try and get the car registered and on the road for the Goodwood Revival however I'm dubious as to the time scales at the moment, especially having been told that the DVLA can take some time to issue a registration. With that in mind if anyone has any info/advice on the paperwork side I'm all ears

More news and hopefully photos to follow very shortly.
Old 20-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 970
If all your paperwork is in order, it is currently taking two weeks for DVLA to process V55 applications. Make sure you have the original US title which shows the year of first registration and this will be used as dating evidence to allocate period correct reg.
Send all docs by recorded delivery as if anything gets lost at DVLA ( happens ) they must then accept photocopies on re-application.
Old 20-08-2016, 08:28 PM
Website member
Third gear

should be a ten working day turn around if they dont loose anything best say a pray