No username? Register here.
Go Back   ZClub.net > General > Rebuilds and restorations

Old 03-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Z Club member
Second gear

Member 996
I was ordering rubbers for mine from Mike a few days before his accident. Mine has the the seperate seals for the door and the qtr light. As they aren't available I have used this rubber
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1116464363...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Seems to do the job, although until it's actually finished I can't comment on wind noise but it squashes up ok plus you don't need to hire Swartznegger to shut the doors.
Top and bottom door seals are available but for the glass channel I've used Woolies Trim stock number 319, fitted the windows yesterday and seems fine.
Top rubber for the qtrlight isn't available, but with hindsight I should have ordered an extra door top rubber as I suspect that will be the same looking at the perished remnants I have. (The frame off my donor door shell didn't have top seal - earlier or later 2+2 ?)
As for the front moulded seal for the qtrlight I''ve had to go with the best pair I have.
Tailgate main inner seal is on order, but the outer top isn't available and I've nothing of the original so I'm in the dark there.

'77 260z 2+2 - in intensive care - now sold
Old 04-04-2016, 09:55 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitdigger View Post
Tailgate main inner seal is on order, but the outer top isn't available and I've nothing of the original so I'm in the dark there.
Mine was built December 75 and has the later rear Brake Pads (I have a set of earlier ones if they will fit yours).
Mine doesn't have the outer top seal or anywhere to put it that I can see?
Old 04-04-2016, 10:07 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 959
So the strip-down started today and will hopefully be a pretty quick turnaround as the body shop are getting it straight in.

There were no real surprises other than the "B" Pillars or whatever they are called. As you can see, both of them are really rotten...

I don't suppose anyone has any or knows where I could get them from?

The other part was the trim round the roof edges. Where these originally panels? Mine looked like they were until i pulled it off and it was just vinyl glued to foam!
Old 04-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
The other part was the trim round the roof edges. Where these originally panels? Mine looked like they were until i pulled it off and it was just vinyl glued to foam!
The padded vinyl trim above the doors and windscreen are stuck on, or at least they are on the 240. I thing the A pillar is a separate covered panel on the 260.

1972 240Z
Old 05-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Z Club member
Second gear

Member 996
Quote:
Mine was built December 75 and has the later rear Brake Pads (I have a set of earlier ones if they will fit yours).
Rear brakes on mine have been refurbed with new shoes, seals etc, but thanks anyway.

Looks like I got away more lightly in that area, my 'B' pillars were crusty just below the bottom window fixings but other than that ok. Looks as though likewise you also have some issues under the qtrlight trim.

The tailgate outer sits on the top lip of the opening from what I understand and just comes down the sides a few inches, whereas on my 280 the outers run right down the sides on a lip that isn't present on the 2+2

'77 260z 2+2 - in intensive care - now sold
Old 11-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 959
So the car is stripped and ready for the body shop to do their bit. I haven't been able to track down the "B" pillars anywhere yet and it looks like I will need to source a new rear slam panel if anyone has any ideas where to get one? It looked OK on the surface but upon removal of the lights it looks like only the paint is holding it together!

Anyway pics so far...

Old 04-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 959
Few more picture updates for this week.
Welding has begun and the roof has now had all the rust cut out and new metal fabricated in its place.

The donor doors I bought which were good turned out not to be so good at the bottoms after about 3 inches of filler was removed. I got them sand blasted in the end to see whats left and make sure all the rust was addressed.
The bottom of this one is luckily the worst of it. the rest of the door and the other one is no where near as bad.

The wings always looked like they were perfect and would just need a blow over but there was some micro blistering in the paint. However many hours of sanding and filling later they are getting there

Old 05-05-2016, 08:40 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 959
Starting to go over the pile of parts in the garage to get them ready to go back on when the car comes back.

I have noticed that the metal clips inside the chrome trim that goes around the roof gutter down the windscreen gutter are pretty rusty. The actual trim itself is perfect.

Any idea where I can get new ones from?
Old 05-05-2016, 09:03 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1052
All looking good - I'd be covering that interior and as as much as I could of the engine bay etc, that filler dust gets 'everywhere' ...
Old 06-05-2016, 05:42 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 704
I was looking for those a while back but think they are no longer availiable, if you find a source let me know.
Nice to see another 2+2 getting restored!

Quote:
Starting to go over the pile of parts in the garage to get them ready to go back on when the car comes back.

I have noticed that the metal clips inside the chrome trim that goes around the roof gutter down the windscreen gutter are pretty rusty. The actual trim itself is perfect.

Any idea where I can get new ones from?
Old 17-05-2016, 05:23 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 959
So, work continues and the car should be in primer by the end of this week. I would love to have the money to completely strip the car to the shell, sand blast and start from scratch but alas, I do not.

There have been quite a few delays getting it this far as the paintwork had hidden some previous poor repairs and much more underlying rust than I had expected and budgeted for.

Anyway, here are some pictures of how it stands today

Old 03-06-2016, 03:15 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 959
Car is now all one colour!

Decided to change colour in the end as I was never 100% taken with the Blue.

Collecting on Monday and I can start to put it back together.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 870
This looks awesome Russ! Yours is still the only Z Ive actually driven!!!

Have you seen the 2+2 in white from Sweden? Its all over instagram etc with 1000bhp!
Old 14-06-2016, 01:07 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 959
I know there are only a few 2+2 owners on here but hoping someone can help me out with the rear quarter light and B pillar challenge I have.

The B pillars have been made good but are by no means 100%. Whilst talking to Paul (farmer42) he suggested that I could change to the older style where the B pillar isnt even used.

I have found some in good condition and can see that they just bolt into the same place on the door shut but I cant find much information on the tops. Is there another bracket I need that as well and will it all just bolt into the same original location?

Thanks
Old 14-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 332
Quote:
I know there are only a few 2+2 owners on here but hoping someone can help me out with the rear quarter light and B pillar challenge I have.

The B pillars have been made good but are by no means 100%. Whilst talking to Paul (farmer42) he suggested that I could change to the older style where the B pillar isnt even used.

I have found some in good condition and can see that they just bolt into the same place on the door shut but I cant find much information on the tops. Is there another bracket I need that as well and will it all just bolt into the same original location?

Thanks
That's not something i have ever heard of being done before, not in the UK anyway because there's so few of us to of tried it previously!

I would think its a case of buy'em and see if they will fit, if not, you can sell them on, but i would of thought its probably better to source a better pair of B pillar's from europe somewhere

UK RHD 1976 260z 2+2
standard L28