No username? Register here.
Go Back   ZClub.net > General > Rebuilds and restorations
Click here to visit the Ground Kits UK website

Old 02-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 869
Thanks for the comments all, it's one thing getting good feedback from fellow petrolheads, but it's so much better getting it from people who know the marque. The car has progressed a lot further but I'm slow at posting progress reports.

Paul
Old 02-04-2017, 10:10 AM
Membership Secretary
Sixth gear

Member 214
I've posted on here before but I'll do it again - I'm absolutely amazed by your dedication and attention to detail. You are doing a fantastic job BUT are you sure you'll want to drive it when it's finished.

I think this one must be a show piece in a museum (or Nissan Dealer) and you need another that's not so perfect for driving and risking.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:43 PM
Website member
Fifth gear

Lovely job. Big thumbs up from me.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:06 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 869
Thanks guys, your right Rob I will be nervous driving it, I've never restored a car before and wanted to keep it as close to original as it was when I got it. I've loved doing the car and spent a lot of time with my sons doing it. I have had other sports cars (my current daily driver is a Porsche 996) but never felt the affection that I have with the Z, I've never been afraid of bending or selling the others but would hate to do either with the Z, I'll never sell it and I've already started collecting panels should the unthinkable happen....
Paul
Old 08-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 869
Hi all, making a bit of time for an update concerning fitting the engine. Finally got it in but ended up putting it in twice The first time we fitted it (my sons and I) I couldn't get the gearbox to engage, after much deliberation I convinced myself that the problem had to be clutch related and therefore the engine/gearbox would need to come back out so that I could split them and check the clutch fitment. Having done that and finding nothing wrong I refitted the engine/gearbox only to find the problem still there - very frustrating. A bit of further investigation on the net through forums such as this one pointed me to the new clutch master cylinder that I'd fitted. It turns out that although described as fitting the 240z (the cylinder size is correct) the piston rod that comes fitted is actually shorter than the original and so the clutch isn't engaged fully when operated.So after exchanging the original longer Piston Rod into the new master cylinder it operated perfectly, I was both relieved that it worked but annoyed that the part supplied was wrong in the first place causing a lot of rework. Another mistake I made was forgetting that the engine mounts are left and right handed, so although bolting in with a lot of difficulty I found I couldn't fit the air filter box because the gap between the engine and inner wing was to small (the engine was leaning to the passenger side rather than drivers side (as shown in one of the pics). Before refitting the engine for the second time I took the opportunity to send the gearbox away locally to have it aqa-blasted, as I was never happy with my attempts to clean the gearbox. I made the right decision as when it came back it looked new, really happy with the finish. With everything finally correctly fitted including my rebuilt carbs from ZTherapy we fired the engine up. It was perfect and I couldn't have hoped for a better result. So after some frustration (most of it my own making) I'm happy with the engine/gearbox fitting but hope someone learns from the two basic mistakes that I made. Here is a link to the engine running (if it works)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ElS1P34PG8

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red1DSC07914.JPG (257.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg red2IMG_5716red.jpg (516.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg red3IMG_5721red.jpg (540.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg red4IMG_1483.jpg (472.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg red5IMG_1464.jpg (503.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg red6DSC01028.jpg (998.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg red7DSC01053.jpg (963.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg red8DSC01105.jpg (430.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg red9sdDSC01253.jpg (386.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg red10DSC01244.jpg (986.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 10-06-2017, 04:30 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 869
Hi All bit of an update as its been awhile. Not a lot of progress if I'm honest. After getting the engine running and the car movable, I contacted the body shop to inform them the car was now ready for final panel fit and top paint coat. Before it left I marked up the car (using blue tape) to identify all the damage/scratches that I'd done while carrying out the "first fix".The amount of tape I used confirmed that for me personally it was the correct thing to do in carrying out the paintwork in 2 stages, and leaving the final panel fit and paint until after I'd completed the bulk of the mechanical restoration. Despite having a double garage it's surprising how little room you have while working around all the junk that a family accumulates in a garage. The car left on 10th March and I was hopeful I'd have it returned in 4 weeks, not a chance, the car has been away for about 3 months now and I'd say is probably about 75% complete. The first thing they do is trial fit all the panels to the car to ensure proper alignment prior to painting and this required a lot more preparation than I'd anticipated. Very few of the panels to be fitted were original to the car, the doors and tailgate were sourced from the states, the front wings were new from Nissan, the headlight pods were new from the states though I'm unsure if they were OEM, The bonnet was second hand from within the UK. This mixture of new/second hand panels has required a lot of rework to ensure the correct fit and the lines of the car proper. As is often stated, the bulk of the work in bodywork is the preparation not the actual painting. I dropped by today to check on progress and was pleased to find the majority of the panels have now been painted in either primer or final coat prior to fitting and hopefully it won't be to long before its return, though I didn't press for a date. I did bring home a spare air filter box that I'd asked them to paint in the original orange (as well as the original now fitted to the engine) and I was very happy with the match. A few pics attached, hopefully it won't be to long before I'll have one of all the paint finished...
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0003r.JPG (890.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0028r.JPG (868.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0031r.JPG (870.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1300.JPG (723.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1301.JPG (784.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1303.JPG (799.7 KB, 19 views)