Get someone else to do it,failing that I'll help you if you can get down south

Thanks Paul
Old 16-06-2017, 05:38 PM
Z Club member
Fifth gear

Member 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red7 View Post
Thanks John , Yes ARB's :-) damn those americanisms :-)

Thanks for that, my local garage will be doing them and the fronts look easy enough he says, but the rears look like a full strip down to fit?

Is that right?

Tbh, I was more thinking of the rear when I wrote that - not a lot of difference.
Disconnect the compression rod at the front 😀
Old 16-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1066
Thanks Mike...

I sprayed the splash pan with some clear engine paint and yes I think they were natural metal when fitted from the factory.
1967.5 Datsun 1600 Roadster
1969 Ford Torino 428 CJ
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner

Last edited by SacCyclone; 17-06-2017 at 02:40 AM..
Old 16-06-2017, 11:04 PM
Website member
Third gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbills View Post
Tbh, I was more thinking of the rear when I wrote that - not a lot of difference.
Disconnect the compression rod at the front 😀
Thanks again, I'll let you know how he gets on
Old 17-06-2017, 12:34 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 347
Got some time yesterday to replace a leaking T piece which has been dripping away for ages. Thought I better sort it before it failed completely. Had to cut off the hose clips as they were seized solid. Replaced them with good quality SS items and also replaced a crusty looking bit of hose.

280zx 2+2 S130
Old 17-06-2017, 09:32 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 514
Spent the day at Santa Pod with the blue car. It was pretty quiet despite it being retro show tomorrow. Got several runs in and made some progress learning how to efficiently get the car off the line. Still need lots more but managed to get my 60" under 2 seconds. This is still pretty **** as I have run a 1.64 on the old setup. It was very hot so no remarkable times with me only just getting in the 11's and terminals were around 130. As usual, I broke something again but this time it wasn't until the end of the day and I managed to drive the car home. I'm hoping its clutch related and not gearbox. I get a horrendous noise when the clutch engages, especially if I try to pull away. No noises when I push the clutch peddle down, just at the point when you release it and the clutch starts to bite.

'73 240z 1JZ-GTE. Was pretty quick. 11.10@132.5mph
'72 240z RHD (4BOA) Being painted Orange. Bodyshop.
'72 240z LHD Black. Sold.
'73 240z LHD Green. Sold.
'73 240z LHD White. Sold - Future race car.
'73 240z LHD Blue. Sold.
'73 260z LHD Orange. Sold to a good home.
'70 240z LHD Yellow. On route and cant wait.
Skyline R33 GTS - Gone
Skyline R34 GTR - Gone
Toyota Surf 3.0TD

Go to: www.240z.me.uk to checkout the cars.
Old 17-06-2017, 09:37 PM
Administrator
Fifth gear

Member 911
What did you do to your Z this week?

Terrorised the Surrey/Kent countryside with friend in an SW20 MR2 on tow.

Loved it and learned 3 things:

1. The power bands could not be more different with the Z being preferable for B road blasting and on the dual carriageway accelerating to around 80 from a standstill there was nothing in it! Not bad for a car without piston rings!

2. The MR2 gets a WHOLE lot more grip in corners; at a couple of points my suspension truly ran out of ideas, where the Toyota was smooth, composed with plenty more to give.

3. When overtaking on the dual carriageway and my speedo was briefly showing 85ish, my mate told me I was doing closer to a tonne! Gulp!!! Better get that sorted before having my collar felt!!! I suspect someone has changed the diff on mine at some point - I do have the "correct" diff siting in my spares expectantly looking at me like a puppy with it's leash in its jaws! One day!!
Old 17-06-2017, 10:45 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyinside View Post
Terrorised the Surrey/Kent countryside with friend in an SW20 MR2 on tow.

Loved it and learned 3 things:

1. The power bands could not be more different with the Z being preferable for B road blasting and on the dual carriageway accelerating to around 80 from a standstill there was nothing in it! Not bad for a car without piston rings!

2. The MR2 gets a WHOLE lot more grip in corners; at a couple of points my suspension truly ran out of ideas, where the Toyota was smooth, composed with plenty more to give.

3. When overtaking on the dual carriageway and my speedo was briefly showing 85ish, my mate told me I was doing closer to a tonne! Gulp!!! Better get that sorted before having my collar felt!!! I suspect someone has changed the diff on mine at some point - I do have the "correct" diff siting in my spares expectantly looking at me like a puppy with it's leash in its jaws! One day!!
If you want to fix your leaky bores I've a nice set of pistons and rings to suit here. Will be a good few bottles of gin this time
Old 18-06-2017, 12:23 AM
Website member
Fifth gear

Busy week. Finished restoring the console for the new project car. did a refresh on another console, which then sold to Sean via eBay! Sent a rad to Czech Republic. The in-laws took the kids home last night and with the missus having a weekend unwinding on Cape Cod after a few days working in Boston, I had a day of Z binging at the farm. Lots done. Got all this junk off...

...so I could get at this...

From the design, it appears to be a Hooker Super Competition header, one of the older, discontinued manifold designs from the US. This one obviously has the emissions fittings, although I will remove and bin that. Looks decent, no dents, just surface rust. I'll get this media blasted and then maybe paint before putting up for sale.

Getting more spacious:

Front valance and bonnet hinges off too.

Feeling pleased with a few hours work, I then got to work on this little stablemate -

It's cranking but no fuel is getting to the carbs. Fuel gets to the pump, but not beyond it. Will be trying a new pump and blowing air through the hard lines. I suspect bad pump and/or gunk in the fuel rail. I nice little side project anyway and a cool car with plenty of potential.

This coming week - fiddle with above South African Z, and manufacture an extension for the pivot on my rear disc-converted Fairlady Z's handbrake so that I can then get it MOT'ed for a change without getting an advisory or failure for handbrake efficiency! Book ticket and pass for Japfest Donington, where I can watch Steve Kiddell giving it some in the Time Attack round.
Old 18-06-2017, 07:07 AM
I'm waiting for the Sam
Fourth gear

Member 130
! Book ticket and pass for Japfest Donington, where I can watch Steve Kiddell giving it some in the Time Attack round. [/QUOTE]

I need to print my ticket out paid for my ticket should be good japfest Kev irons got some track time aswell so be few z to watch for
Old 18-06-2017, 11:23 AM
Website member
Fifth gear

We should co-ordinate our arrival. Even if we haven't got an official club stand, it'd be good to park participating Zs together. Maybe meet at services, or in Castle Donington centre? (It'll be quieter coming from the village direction than it will be from the M1).
Old 18-06-2017, 11:56 AM
I'm waiting for the Sam
Fourth gear

Member 130
Yeah we need to organise it this week see who coming then arange where meet up
Old 18-06-2017, 12:15 PM
Website member
Fifth gear

Ticket ordered.
Old 18-06-2017, 12:32 PM
I'm waiting for the Sam
Fourth gear

Member 130
Have you just bought your japfest ticket Richard. I'll get the japfest thread up might see round few more zedder up
Old 18-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Website member
Third gear

I went for a morning drive in the sunshine to a cafe about 35 miles away, just to test the ARB's
obviously:-) massive improvement, a very well worth mod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5367.JPG (159.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5368.JPG (107.0 KB, 41 views)