No username? Register here.
Go Back   ZClub.net > Events > Shows & meets (UK)
Click here to visit the Ground Kits UK website

Old 25-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Z Club member
Fifth gear

Member 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Gaskin View Post
So Jon, do you think I would do that if I wasn't instructed to? The town centre is 'closed off' and over-run with hundreds (600+) of cars.

A video from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAo2EvZ2CHQ
Just checking Rob
parking on the pavement is one of my pet peeves.
Old 25-09-2017, 12:50 PM
Membership Secretary
Sixth gear

Member 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbills View Post
Just checking Rob
parking on the pavement is one of my pet peeves.
And mine but in many places where parking is allowed down both sides of the road, there is no realistic alternative. My Dad had problems with his mobility scooter - but they are another problem on the pavements!
Old 25-09-2017, 01:15 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 770
Hi Rob, have you any pics of your rose joint top mounts? I'm looking at something at the minute so it'll be good to know what you mean? Or how its together.
Old 25-09-2017, 01:17 PM
I'm waiting for the Sam
Fourth gear

Member 130
Yes those carbs do seem to be set-up well - your second man did a good job. It ticks over very well and stops immediately when you switch it off too - a novelty for me. I have to stall my blue car and did the same with my old car.[/QUOTE]

Explain. Just hard to start samuri tick over nice and turn the key off and it will stop
Old 25-09-2017, 03:39 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 770
Like these?

https://imgur.com/a/GMh68

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/GMh68"><a href="//imgur.com/GMh68"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 25-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Membership Secretary
Sixth gear

Member 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by franky View Post
Like these?

https://imgur.com/a/GMh68

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/GMh68"><a href="//imgur.com/GMh68"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Franky I'll PM you.
Old 25-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Z Club member
Fifth gear

Member 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ex Jnr View Post
Yes those carbs do seem to be set-up well - your second man did a good job. It ticks over very well and stops immediately when you switch it off too - a novelty for me. I have to stall my blue car and did the same with my old car.

Explain. Just hard to start samuri tick over nice and turn the key off and it will stop[/QUOTE]

It should always start on the button after a couple of pumps of the throttle pedal - if it doesn't, your accelerator pump jets are possibly blocked. (or possibly they're too big and you've flooded it!). If you take them off the manifold one by one without spilling the fuel from the float chamber and pump the throttle by hand, it should squirt petrol a couple of feet.

If it runs on when you turn it off, then you've got something other than the spark plug in the cylinder that's starting combustion - possibly red hot carbon deposits from running too rich.
Fix it with a rolling road session or an AFR gauge and fun hours swapping jets
Old 25-09-2017, 04:55 PM
Membership Secretary
Sixth gear

Member 214
Quote:

It should always start on the button after a couple of pumps of the throttle pedal........

If it runs on when you turn it off, then you've got something other than the spark plug in the cylinder that's starting combustion - possibly red hot carbon deposits..........
Hi Jon, yes with these Webers the car starts really well.

Running-on, I don't think it's as simple as that. I think it's to do with the SU type carbs and high compression engines. Neither of my cars that did it were rich.
Old 25-09-2017, 04:56 PM
I'm waiting for the Sam
Fourth gear

Member 130
Quote:
Explain. Just hard to start samuri tick over nice and turn the key off and it will stop
It should always start on the button after a couple of pumps of the throttle pedal - if it doesn't, your accelerator pump jets are possibly blocked. (or possibly they're too big and you've flooded it!). If you take them off the manifold one by one without spilling the fuel from the float chamber and pump the throttle by hand, it should squirt petrol a couple of feet.

If it runs on when you turn it off, then you've got something other than the spark plug in the cylinder that's starting combustion - possibly red hot carbon deposits from running too rich.
Fix it with a rolling road session or an AFR gauge and fun hours swapping jets [/QUOTE]

I was wondering and wanting to no why he has to stall the car to stop it

There nowt up with Sam apart from needs 're jetting no choke on it so that wat I mean by its a fars to start but few pumps on pedal and it wanting to start
Old 25-09-2017, 05:14 PM
Z Club member
Fifth gear

Member 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Gaskin View Post
Hi Jon, yes with these Webers the car starts really well.

Running-on, I don't think it's as simple as that. I think it's to do with the SU type carbs and high compression engines. Neither of my cars that did it were rich.
when you turn the key off, there's no spark at the spark plug. if it runs-on, there's something else in the chamber that is starting combustion, and that something will be red-hot - it is as simple as that. High compression engines generate more heat and so are more likely to heat something to that level - could be carbon, could be nicks on the piston, could be burrs on the piston or head from casting or porting, could be valves worn to a knife edge, it could even be the tip of the spark plug.
I think we've had this topic before - running on is not an essential characteristic of a sporty engine. It's a characteristic of an engine with a remaining opportunity for optimisation
Old 25-09-2017, 05:16 PM
Z Club member
Fifth gear

Member 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ex Jnr View Post
There nowt up with Sam apart from needs 're jetting no choke on it so that wat I mean by its a fars to start but few pumps on pedal and it wanting to start
fair enough. The pump jets on side draught carbs mean you really don't need a choke - you get the cold start enrichment you need from the pumps.
Old 25-09-2017, 05:17 PM
I'm waiting for the Sam
Fourth gear

Member 130
Right right I understand now