No username? Register here.
Go Back   ZClub.net > Car specific > 240Z / 260Z / 280Z
MJP AUTO

Old 22-12-2016, 11:14 PM
Website member
First gear

Nice project, looking forward to the updates.
Old 23-12-2016, 08:21 PM
Website member
Second gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk66fastback View Post
Very, very good work. What's lurking under the cover in the background? Another project?
What is lurking under the cover was the last project - a 1997 limited edition Mazda MX5, Purchased as scrap that was worth saving, as it only covered 40,000 miles and is a one lady owner car. The body work wasn't too bad to sort out, usual rust problems, but I was shocked because I had to replace the front and rear subframes and every suspension item as it was completely rotten, it looked like the car had been left in salt water.

The car is waiting for my daughter to pass her driving test, so she can take it to shows for herself.
Old 23-12-2016, 09:47 PM
Z Club member
Second gear

Really interesting set of photos and looking impressive.
Was the roof 'infill' difficult to do? What gauge of steel did you use?
My 240z has a sunroof that I would like to loose and return the car to a solid roof.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Website member
Second gear

Ongoing Project.

Finally finished the roof, which I am happy with now. While I am waiting for parts to come from America and Japan gradually working through the body and repairing small flaws, rebuilt an S14 rear subframe and fitted solid bushes, and again am waiting for some brackets to arrive from America before I start fitting it to the car.

After looking at the prices of second hand RB26 engines I have decided to order an RB26 N1 block from my local Dealer with a new crank and I have also tracked down a new head which is located in America and decided I will build my own engine.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:53 PM
Website member
Second gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
Really interesting set of photos and looking impressive.
Was the roof 'infill' difficult to do? What gauge of steel did you use?
My 240z has a sunroof that I would like to loose and return the car to a solid roof.
The roof you see in the final picture is not the one in the metal, my friend wasn't happy and decided to cut it out again. The prime reason he wanted to remove it again was the fact the roof has got a curve to it and it needed to be jacked up, then welded to get the sort of flow to the roof. We used 1.5mm steel which is a lot stronger than the original roof, if you decided to do it, I would question weather your body shop has the ability to do it. I would go to a metal fabricator who can actually bend the roof with also jacking it up to get the right curve.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:57 PM
Z Club member
Second gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Z Man View Post
The roof you see in the final picture is not the one in the metal, my friend wasn't happy and decided to cut it out again. The prime reason he wanted to remove it again was the fact the roof has got a curve to it and it needed to be jacked up, then welded to get the sort of flow to the roof. We used 1.5mm steel which is a lot stronger than the original roof, if you decided to do it, I would question weather your body shop has the ability to do it. I would go to a metal fabricator who can actually bend the roof with also jacking it up to get the right curve.
Thanks for the insight. I did wonder if it was a double compound curve which as you suggest will rule out most bodyshops with the necessary skills these days. I hope to have my 240 on the road for the spring in a solid but 'ratty' state. Long term plan will be a complete restoration but I things such as the roof will require thought, hence my initial question. Looking forward to seeing more photos of your restoration.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2017, 07:55 AM
Z Club member
Second gear

Member 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Z Man View Post
After looking at the prices of second hand RB26 engines I have decided to order an RB26 N1 block from my local Dealer with a new crank and I have also tracked down a new head which is located in America and decided I will build my own engine.
Great engine choice!
If you don't mind me asking, how much are Nissan UK charging for a 24U block?
Old 09-01-2017, 08:28 AM
Website member
Second gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N View Post
Great engine choice!
If you don't mind me asking, how much are Nissan UK charging for a 24U block?
The engine block was just less than 2000, the crank was just short of 1000 and the cylinder head from America equates to 1200.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:48 AM
Z Club member
Second gear

Member 1113
Looks like you got yourself a mega bargain!
N1 blocks from Japan are around 3500GBP plus shipping and I thought Nissan UK would be charging on top of that!
I bought one for my GTR about 10 years ago for just over a grand but would struggle to justify it now.
Are you planning on big power?
Old 05-02-2017, 07:46 PM
Website member
Second gear

update on project rolling s**t, been gradually working from back to front still removing all the bodges and putting in good metal, with even the main chassis rails with rust and holes in them. Hopefully this week my floorpans and new chassis rails will arrive. I have managed to buy all the main parts for the engine, some of the bits coming from a local dealer, Japan, and the cylinder head coming from America. Have also received this week my purchases that I made before christmas which are fibreglass doors and scuttle panel from Japan, with also a brand new RB25 gearbox from Japan.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:50 PM
Website member
Second gear

Old 05-02-2017, 07:52 PM
Website member
Second gear

Old 05-02-2017, 07:53 PM
Website member
Second gear

Old 05-02-2017, 09:35 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 866
Nice new bits. Fibreglass parts by Marugen Shoukai?

You've still got loads left to spend, by the time you get injectors, Ignition coils, turbo and manifold, intake setup, wiring and all the other many parts for the RB you'll be out a fortune (I know, I've been there) but at least everything can be new and just how you want it.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:47 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1066
Impressive work you have done so far.

You are on your way to being a premiere Zed expert for sure.

Thanks for sharing.

1971 240Z Street/Track
1971 240Z Street
1973 240Z Ford V-8 Track
1969 Ford Torino 428 CJ
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
(2) 240Z shell rollers