No username? Register here.
Old 24-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Website member
First gear

RHD Conversion Options

Hi

I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I might be able to help point me in the right direction on this forum.

I'm looking for anyone who has documented their RHD conversion process. My apologies if it's somewhere obvious and I have just failed to find it but I have searched this forum and the internet in general and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I can find that people have asked the same question in other places on the internet, unfortunately I can't find any real answers as the rest of the thread usually degenerates into arguing about why you would convert a LHD car.

To be clear, I'm not concerned with maintaining the authenticity of an LHD car (which seems to be the general cause of most of the arguing), I want to use the car as a daily drive so would really like to convert to RHD.

From the little information I can find, there seems to be two ways of doing this. One is to swap a RHD bulkhead panel into an LHD shell, the other is to modify the existing bulkhead.

I wondered if anyone on this forum knew where I could find a thread which had information on each option?

Thanks
Old 24-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Website member
Second gear

I'm not sure this will have all of the information you want but it's the best I could find when I considered importing and converting a US Z.

The guy here is going the other way RHD to LHD but gives you a very good idea of what is involved.

How to do a RHD Conversion - Fabrication / Welding - HybridZ
Old 24-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Website member
First gear

Thanks Weaverhead,

That was the best one I had found so far.

I'm also hoping to find a thread documenting the other option too so that I can draw a comparison between the two. Each strikes me as having different pros and cons but I'm hoping to learn from other people's experiences before I decide what I'm going to go for.
Old 24-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Membership Secretary
Sixth gear

Member 214
You might get something out of this?

Not technical but political/legal considerations. Bear in mind that the VIN is on the bulkhead.

http://zclub.net/forum/240z-260z/227...cs-edited.html
Old 24-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Z Club member
Fifth gear

Member 167
A full firewall swap like detailed in that HybridZ thread is really the most extreme option. Very well done, but you don't necessarily need to go to that extent. Datsun Dave needs to chime in here with the way his car was done. Very neat and simpler. The essence being that the original firewall was retained but a RH steering plate installed (could be from a donor car or a new replica fabrication) and the LH drive plate removed and blanked.
Old 24-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Website member
First gear

Thanks both.

Rob, I had read through that reshelling thread thanks, certainly useful stuff.

Richiep, the "steering plate swap" method is my current preference. It looks like a pretty good solution to me. Ideally I'd like to find some details from someone who has completed their conversion using this method.
Old 26-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Website member
Sixth gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsDead View Post
Thanks both.

Rob, I had read through that reshelling thread thanks, certainly useful stuff.

Richiep, the "steering plate swap" method is my current preference. It looks like a pretty good solution to me. Ideally I'd like to find some details from someone who has completed their conversion using this method.
I am working away until next week will post up some pictures when I return.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:17 PM
Website member
Stuck in reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaverhead View Post
I'm not sure this will have all of the information you want but it's the best I could find when I considered importing and converting a US Z.

The guy here is going the other way RHD to LHD but gives you a very good idea of what is involved.

How to do a RHD Conversion - Fabrication / Welding - HybridZ

None of the pictres are available in that thread now. Anyone ha the full documented proess ?