No username? Register here.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Z Club member
Fifth gear

Member 254
Lcl

Hi
Has anyone here got experience of LCL (Less-than Container Load) seafreight shipping?
I'm looking for options to get a pair of S30 doors over from California.
LCL looks like it could cost <200 but I've no idea about hidden costs and gotchas.

Anyone?
Old 06-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Website member
Fifth gear

Invariably it means you'll be sharing consolidated container space with any number of other consignees. The risk there is that they tend to fill 'em right up (and I mean RIGHT up) so your doors could be at the bottom of a very big pile of other stuff in the container, most of which will have been packaged in a way that saves weight and volume (that being why they were sent LCL in the first place...).

The only way to mitigate against likely shipping damage is to get them packed against it. Which can be expensive and hard to organise if you are purchasing from a private seller...
Old 06-09-2017, 02:43 PM
Administrator
Third gear

Member 1051
All I can say is make sure you get the right doors! http://zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21956
Old 06-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Z Club member
Fifth gear

Member 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albrecht View Post
Invariably it means you'll be sharing consolidated container space with any number of other consignees. The risk there is that they tend to fill 'em right up (and I mean RIGHT up) so your doors could be at the bottom of a very big pile of other stuff in the container, most of which will have been packaged in a way that saves weight and volume (that being why they were sent LCL in the first place...).

The only way to mitigate against likely shipping damage is to get them packed against it. Which can be expensive and hard to organise if you are purchasing from a private seller...

Thanks Alan, so that's the gotcha - Packaging would need strong bespoke woodwork.