No username? Register here.
Go Back   ZClub.net > General > New to the website!
Click here to visit the Ground Kits UK website

Old 28-04-2017, 04:13 PM
Z Club member
Second gear

Member 1113
Nice car, it doesn't look like it will take too much work to get it looking great!
Has the engine bay been painted, it looks like new?

Old 28-04-2017, 04:41 PM
Website member
Second gear

Mark, I believe original paint still in the engine bay, assuming it has been thoroughly cleaned/polished before the sale to me. Original stickers are still showing.

It's originality is quite something else even down to the braided/sheaf covering on the heater matrix hoses. I have new rubbers to go on the car, even though pipes/seals/bushes haven't failed but with the plan to taking her abroad - then reliability is going to be paramount.

Tailgate and offside door have been painted, and not very well. Roof also suffered some scuffing and scrapes in the container shipping from the US. So have the dilemma to repaint the whole car or just leave as is for now and enjoy the patina, scuffs and odd scrape.

I believe somebody has retro fitted an electric fuel pump, which seems to be doing its job!

Old 29-04-2017, 07:55 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 332
Nice original looking car that

Worry about the paintwork issues a bit later, get her on the road, get some miles under your belt, and just enjoy the ride!

UK RHD 1976 260z 2+2
standard L28
Old 01-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Website member
Second gear

Productive weekend, having completed one of the jobs for the impending MOT. Sourced a set of rear Euro lights from this very forum, and required refurbishment after many years in a barn! With the help of the online wealth of information, and some useful pointers on here I jumped into the task.

Very pleased with the end result, and a job ticked off the list

Hot water works a treat parting the glue seal.

Amazing how dirty with road muck they get inside, despite being enclosed units.

Before and after a bit of elbow grease, wasn't quite sure how much polish to use - but seems to be plenty of chrome material to work with!

These little gritters are so damn brittle!!

Finished product

Last edited by Bobafett; 24-07-2017 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Fixing stupid broken Photobucket picture links.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:18 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 559
Nice - good job. Leaving the lights in the freezer also works to nulify the glue.

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zstor...6789934?ref=hl

Club Datsun-France www.datsun-france.com

I Love Zs.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:34 PM
Website member
Third gear

What a lovely car, welcome aboard !
Old 01-05-2017, 11:45 PM
Membership Secretary
Sixth gear

Member 214
What an improvement on those lights!
Old 02-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Z Club member
Second gear

Member 1113
Great job with the lights!

Old 02-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobafett View Post
Thanks, yes I saw your thread with interest - and gave me the heads up on the rear lights from the links within posted by fellow members and that's first on the list to get some Euro lights sorted this weekend. That Green Datsun which was being offered same time as mine at Essen was something else, a fantastic job done by Romas and I believe now in a private collection in Germany.

From my brief chat with Mike I believe that the anti-roll bar will be a worthy upgrade. I hadn't appreciated that for the American market the front sway bar setup was quite minimalistic and non existent on the rears. Hopefully 1" up front and 7/8" at the back will make a huge difference as that will suit my driving style.
Glad it was of some help, albeit its fantastic what you've done to the used set that your acquired through here! Really top job in bringing them back to life. Have you got new rubber seals for them as well? Lets hope this collection allows it to be taken out and used, looked like a stunning example.

Thanks for the info, your spot on about the US setup. I can assure you having put about 1500 miles on our now that we desperately need to fit a pair as the car rolls all around corners and round abouts etc. we intend to upgrade all of the running gear asap. I'll be curious to hear your feedback assuming you beat me to it.

I look forward to reading the updates and seeing this one on the roads, would be great to see another orange one out and about!
Old 03-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1005
Welcome to the club & enjoy your Z, as I'm sure you will

1974 260z running L28 with triple webers.
1973 240z (long gone).
Audi avant quattro sport - daily driver.
Mazda MX-5.
http://www.260Z.co.uk
Old 03-05-2017, 11:36 AM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1052
Great work on the lights. Unable t find any UK/Japan-style ones I bought some from the US (as did Woody) - but they're probably not much, if any better than yours! Brilliant work.

Once you've sussed what goes where on the wiring it's a doddle to install, likewise the front.

Mike
1972 240Z US LHD ...
Old 03-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Website member
Second gear

Ta much for the compliments, and I must admit I am very pleased with the rear lights.

With the NOVA done, the Z is in a workshop at present and work is in place to get it through a UK MOT. At the same time, I am petty much replacing everything that is perishable with the original rubbers having perished over time, which includes all suspension bushes and rubber brake/clutch hoses. Oil changes and replace all brake pads/drums is planned also.

Noticed that at some point somebody has fitted an electric fuel pump. Not sure of condition or what make it is, so will have a closer inspection when car is safely home after DVLA registration.

In the meantime, I have taken a punt on this just bought off eBay, for £20 inc postage Could be totally wrong but plan is to bastardise the internals to rebuild the mechanical pump on the car which has clearly failed at some point in the past - why am I? no reason other than planning on keeping the car pretty stock. If it doesn't work I will just run with a good quality electrical pump. Certainly not paying $500+ for a NOS one!

Might be a complete different pump that I need for the internal diaphragm and seals, but hey I will have a tinker to keep me busy... otherwise I will have to buy a Nissan Cherry to fit the eBay pump to

Last edited by Bobafett; 24-07-2017 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: Stupid Photobucket
Old 04-05-2017, 10:50 AM
1978 UK RHD 260z
Second gear

Member 1116
Nice looking Z there Bobafett, welcome to the club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobafett View Post

current cars including a 1967 Sunbeam Tiger (Ford V8)
Now that's a nice car, a wolf in sheeps clothing springs to mind. I'm looking for a cabriolet for my wife and considered one, but V8 hmm. She's a bit of a nutter and I would want a few air bags and roll bars to go with that V8. TBH I don't know much about them, never driven one, but I bet it goes like stink.

just read this on wiki

The original 260 CID engine was considered only mildly tuned at 164 hp (122 kW), and some dealers offered modified versions with up to 245 hp (183 kW) for an additional $250.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:31 PM
Website member
Fourth gear

Great looking car you have purchased there, congrats.

Your 73 and all 74 US spec cars had electric fuel pumps added to help with fuel percolation that occurred during high heat conditions. They also added the fuel line wrap under the bonnet. The flat top carbs were prone to hard starting due to vapor lock etc.

I like that your car has had the early round top carb swap and the early bumpers added, much better running and looking car IMO.

Let us know how the fuel pump rebuild goes as we have discussed in other threads a good alternative to rebuilding the factory pumps since rebuild kits are not available.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:59 PM
Website member
Second gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Now that's a nice car, a wolf in sheeps clothing springs to mind. I'm looking for a cabriolet for my wife and considered one, but V8 hmm. She's a bit of a nutter and I would want a few air bags and roll bars to go with that V8. TBH I don't know much about them, never driven one, but I bet it goes like stink.
Thanks Tim, and your wife sounds like fun to be with

Tiger has a stroker from a modern Mustang engine so good for 400 bhp. Though a handful being short wheel base and with no driver aids ...so I do need to be somewhat respectful, otherwise she will snap and bite hard at short notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacCyclone View Post
Great looking car you have purchased there, congrats.

Your 73 and all 74 US spec cars had electric fuel pumps added to help with fuel percolation that occurred during high heat conditions. They also added the fuel line wrap under the bonnet. The flat top carbs were prone to hard starting due to vapor lock etc.
Thanks Mike, really? the Z had both an electric and manual fuel pump! & there is me thinking that the electric pump was fitted to replace the manual unit that has failed. I clearly have a lot to learn, as a newbie, about these cars