No username? Register here.
MJP AUTO

Old 23-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Website member
Third gear

Help

Seve , There are a few of us taking our cars to a rolling road in the future , As I have said I am going to check out a company in Crawley that have spoken to on the phone to see if they have the equipment and knowledge to tune my new set up , the last time I had it tuned I have fitted a stehl header a complete exhaust system Weber45s and a cold air induction system , so things have changed a lot , the company I used last did not have the jets and chokes etc in stock enough to change if required . the company in Crawley say they have a full selection ,
So it would be very helpful if you could tell us your top six or twelve questions and thing to look for when visiting a rolling road for the fist time without the car to see if at approx 95 an hour the company is suitable to tune our very precious Zs . Your thoughts would be much appreciated .In laymen terms .

Regards
Phil .
Old 23-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Website member
Fourth gear

Thanks for putting the time and effort in Steve, All your posts have been very interesting if not heavy going for the first couple of reads lol, And thanks for writing them in English and not gobbly gook!

Rob
Old 23-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Having a bad day
Sixth gear

Your more than welcome
I sometimes get some flack for being to technical so I tried to put some humour in there

Phil if its ok I will spend an hour or two writing up a crib sheet for you

I will post it up later on this evening, if thats OK
Old 23-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Website member
Third gear

Thank you Steve

Thank you Steve , That is just what I need and I hope will be of use to others as well . Look forward to your reply .

Regards
Phil
Old 23-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Having a bad day
Sixth gear

Remember its your money and your car so we need to determine if they are worthy

.....in no particular order

Ask about other customer’s cars on carbs any regulars, what set ups have they seen
It’s not critical but have they tuned an L series before (more conversation than anything)?
OK so they have a supply of jets but what about chokes ?
How extensive are their spares, mains, idle, pump, emulsion tubes ?
Test THEIR knowledge pretend you don't know anything and ask about, RWHP and FWHP
Ask to look at a sample of their print outs, look to see several successive runs of HP, torque and also AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) with improvements on a graph with date time and preferably temp and pressure
Ask how temperature and pressure could affects things
Ask about ignition timing, triples and vacuum advance.
Ask about cam timing a good dyno will discuss cam timing and offer to swing the cam on request (assuming you have an adjustable sprocket.... you should if you have triples and a cam)
You have heard people mention about "coast down" ask them to explain.
Ask them what you should do to prepare for a visit, a good dyno operator will say check oil, water, tyre pressure, fuel etc.
Ask if you can watch what they are doing or do they require you to be out of the room.

The aim of the day is to tune your set-up so that it makes optimum power (not always maximum) coupled with drivablity so when they have finished ask to take it for a quick spin before you pay, the last thing you want is to shell out, get 2 miles up the road and hate it.

Maybe you could do a write up after the session and give your views, there aren’t many carb tuners around these days they have all gone to the dark side of fuel injection and ECU’s.
Old 23-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Website member
Third gear

Thank you

Steve thank you for your time and the very good advise . I will keep you informed on my progress with the tuners .

Regards
Phil
Old 18-04-2011, 10:40 AM
GIO9000
Fourth gear

Member 754
Nissan FAST and USFM fiche

I found both of these - and some other reference stuff - here XenonZ32.com Reference Fiddly to install but it does work eventually. Follow their guides. For the JDM, ignore the 84Mb _a2.rar file, it doesn't unpack correctly. You use the __a2.rar file. JDM used 5 CDs a1 a2 a3 b1 b2. This page also gives some install hints although for a slightly different version Welcome to NissanFAST.info - Installing FAST onto your computer but explains which file to install for which market.

I would have posted this in the "Tech stuff wanted" thread but it's closed and there doesn't seem to be anywhere else to post technical stuff for all models.

And in the title USFM = USDM d'oh.
Gio - Z Club #754

Z#3 back in silver again: Series 6 1999 300ZX Z32 NA Auto 2+2
Z#2 SOLD Series 3 300ZX Z32 NA Auto 2+2 the ideal solution to the daily A40/NCR grind
Z#1 sold 300ZX Z32 TT Manual 2+2 JDM (used to be faster than Clarkson until the bloke I sold it to wrote it off)
East Berks
15 years, 3 Zeds, 1 write-off

Last edited by Gio; 18-04-2011 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: speling 0/10 chiz chiz
Old 19-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Having a bad day
Sixth gear

Excellent stuff Gio, I will put it in the appropriate place
Old 22-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Website member
Third gear

pdf

sorted

Last edited by bigblock; 24-11-2011 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: sorted
Old 12-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Z Club member
First gear

Member 540
Hi Steve
I have Lens old 240z and have spent lots of money on her and still spending. The help I need is with my new 123 programmable Dizzy I have a Rebello 300 BHP engine on dyno and around 243 at the wheels with triple 45 DCOE.
I have had good success with this new dizzy and have what I think a good curve now. however the dizzy has a vacuum curve input and I can create a curve of any type. should I use this feature if so can you help me understand or should I leave it at 0 effect curve? I would like to call you to discuss but I cant find your number my number is 07774 116552 Dean Halsey
I would like to send you my write up on this dizzy and maybe you can help to make or use it better?

Last edited by ddhchp; 12-08-2013 at 09:47 PM..