No username? Register here.
Go Back   ZClub.net > General > General discussion
Click here to visit the Z1 Motorsports website

Old 17-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Website member
First gear

Advice ......steering wheel refurb

i've got a 240z steering wheel to replace the standard 260 wheel,are they wood or plastic made to look like wood ?

Has anyone used a company to get it refurbished to as new standard,i don't wish to try as jobs like that never quite end up right if i do them!

The other bit of advice can someone please tell me how i get the original "red" coloured gear knob off it just twists round and i can't see any grub screws holding it to the shaft.
Old 17-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Website member
Fifth gear

240Z steering wheel is plastic, I never knew that when I restored the one on my first 240, just sanded it down give it a couple of coats of yacht varnish came up a treat. The gear knob the threaded part has probably come away so just pull it off & go from there.
Old 17-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Website member
Sixth gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuri-240 View Post
240Z steering wheel is plastic..........
Not true.

The '240Z' ( actually, Fairlady Z, Fairlady Z-L, Fairlady 240Z, Fairlady 240Z-L, Fairlady 240ZG, Fairlady Z432 & Fairlady Z432-R steering wheel as well as all the different market models that the '240Z' name was stuck onto ) steering wheels were made by a Japanese company called 'Izumi', in the late Sixties utilising a new process that combined REAL WOOD with a resin, which was forced into a mould under extremely high pressure. The design team behind the S30-series Z, and in particular its Chief Designer Mr Yoshihiko Matsuo, pioneered this process with Izumi, only to find that it would become the victim of ever-tightening safety legislation.

They are wood - so careful sanding ( with a fine grit of wet & dry ) then restaining with a Rosewood tint, and a polyurethane varnish without too much gloss should do the trick.
Old 25-10-2017, 09:33 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 408
Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip

It took me a long while to find this thread so I've bookmarked it now!

Old 25-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albrecht View Post
Not true.

The '240Z' ( actually, Fairlady Z, Fairlady Z-L, Fairlady 240Z, Fairlady 240Z-L, Fairlady 240ZG, Fairlady Z432 & Fairlady Z432-R steering wheel as well as all the different market models that the '240Z' name was stuck onto ) steering wheels were made by a Japanese company called 'Izumi', in the late Sixties utilising a new process that combined REAL WOOD with a resin, which was forced into a mould under extremely high pressure. The design team behind the S30-series Z, and in particular its Chief Designer Mr Yoshihiko Matsuo, pioneered this process with Izumi, only to find that it would become the victim of ever-tightening safety legislation.

They are wood - so careful sanding ( with a fine grit of wet & dry ) then restaining with a Rosewood tint, and a polyurethane varnish without too much gloss should do the trick.
Alan - was the same production process applied to other Datsun (particularly export) models please ?

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zstor...6789934?ref=hl

Club Datsun-France www.datsun-france.com

I Love Zs.
Old 26-10-2017, 10:15 AM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albrecht View Post
Not true.

I'm never ceased to be amazed by the knowledge your have of this marque

Really interesting to read thank you.