No username? Register here.
Go Back   ZClub.net > General > Anything and everything
Click here for your insurance needs

Old 18-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Z Club member
Fifth gear

Member 167
Exhaust is off and given its a CA car, no ARB to deal with. It's just space, given its on the dollies,although I could jack up and pop the stands in to give a little more room. I've been looking at the alternative of dropping the diff out and extracting the prop with it. Of course, that means numerous other nuts to faff with! There might not be much more progress until later in August now as we go on holiday in a week and a half. I'm going to focus on trying to get the Fairlady Z handbrake working properly first.
Old 18-07-2017, 09:48 AM
Administrator
Third gear

Member 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by richiep View Post
Had another session on Project Dixie yesterday. 3 hours, 3 bolts. Trying to disconnect the prop from the diff, but the final bolt, instead of being an original M12, has been Americanised with a 1/2" jobbie made of fecking chocolate. Won't budge, nut and bolt rounding off.
Know the feeling there! Blowtorch and pliers got some moving but some were just a lost cause.
Old 18-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Z Club member
Fifth gear

Member 254
I think taking the diff & prop out together would be a real faff, if necessary you could get the front diff support beam off and out of the way to get the grinder in.
Old 18-07-2017, 03:46 PM
Z Club member
Fifth gear

Member 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbills View Post
I think taking the diff & prop out together would be a real faff, if necessary you could get the front diff support beam off and out of the way to get the grinder in.
Actually, the bolts for the diff crossmember and moustache bar are fine - nice and easy to undo. The outer bolts of the half shafts are also undone now too. So I could drop it. I think I will try the air die grinder with a suitable disc/stone first though to try and get the prop out on its own and deal with the diff later. The main target is to get ready to pull the engine and gearbox ASAP. Then I can finish stripping the engine bay and move on to dash, loom, door innards, glass, etc. Once I have a rolling shell, then I will need to sort a shell dolly and/or rotisserie ready for suspension removal.

Most nuts and bolts on the car, being a dry state car, have been very willing. It's just a few here and there that have caused delays. In this case, due to being sub-par material compared to the OEM parts.
Old 14-08-2017, 08:59 AM
Z Club member
Fifth gear

Member 254
Last week I drove the Z up from Northampton to Salford for work - it rained a lot, but headlights and wipers worked surprisingly well. downside was the spare wheel well was full of water - I think the rear window leaks. :-(

It's about a 300 mile round trip and it did 26mpg. That's interesting isn't it?
Old 14-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1052
I've been taking my seats apart (well, only one completely so far) to prepare for the new foams I have coming. I have a recolouring kit from Furniture Clinic with which i am redoing one original cover and one replacement one (original) ... also redoing all the interior vinyl and door cards as well ...

Going to be a fair old job to get right but should look very nice when done.
Old 14-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 514
Had a busy last few days zedding. Thursday night I took the blue car to a Brands evening session and the car performed great. Friday I drove the blue car the 200 miles to castle combe and stayed over to assist/support Dean Halsey with his 240z in the swinging 60's race on Saturday. Drove back Saturday night and spent all Sunday working on the silver car. Removed all the suspension and running gear so I could access the entire underside of the shell. Cleaned the entire underside and coated it with dinatrol hard underbody wax to fully seal every nook and cranny.

'73 240z 1JZ-GTE. Was pretty quick. 11.10@132.5mph
'72 240z RHD (4BOA) Being painted Orange. Bodyshop.
'72 240z LHD Black. Sold.
'73 240z LHD Green. Sold.
'73 240z LHD White. Sold - Future race car.
'73 240z LHD Blue. Sold.
'73 260z LHD Orange. Sold to a good home.
'70 240z LHD Yellow. On route and cant wait.
Skyline R33 GTS - Gone
Skyline R34 GTR - Gone
Toyota Surf 3.0TD

Go to: www.240z.me.uk to checkout the cars.
Old 14-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Z Club member
Fifth gear

Member 167
Just got back from a couple of weeks in the US. This was not a totally Z-free exercise, as I picked up a couple of repro JDM S30 bonnet emblems. Most expensive pieces of plastic I've bought In a long time, but still much cheaper than trying to get a NOS Nissan one from Japan, and I wanted to replace the original one on my Fairlady Z which has deteriorated quite a lot, losing chrome all over the place. The second is for Project Dixie, which will be getting an authentic-style JDM makeover.

Now need to crack on and try and fix the Fairlady Z's knackered handbrake before Oulton Park Gold Cup...