Click here to visit the Opie Oils website

Closed Thread

Old 25-10-2017, 09:08 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Tenno View Post
Let's not do a 4th round on this. We need external evidence to resolve the rebuild / VIN questions and unless anyone has it - I think we've exhausted the discussion.
With respect, that is YOUR personal opinion....the BIG Sam for sale thread brings it all back to life again.

Apparently, it's not a chassis number swap but 'merely' a chassis swap which is ok and especially because it's an historic car, not DVLA registered or likely to be road-worthy and (wait for it) a LHD chassis to begin with whereas the original BIG Sam chassis was RHD.

I'm not playing an agent-provocateur as Rich thinks but the Devil's Advocate - one either agress and condones this or not - NO exceptions, no armchair judgements.

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zstor...6789934?ref=hl

Club Datsun-France www.datsun-france.com

I Love Zs.
Old 25-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Website member
Sixth gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanDezart View Post
Apparently, it's not a chassis number swap but 'merely' a chassis swap which is ok and especially because it's an historic car, not DVLA registered or likely to be road-worthy and (wait for it) a LHD chassis to begin with whereas the original BIG Sam chassis was RHD.
Sean, If I call my car 'Betsy', and I write 'Betsy' off and replace here with another - similar - car, and call that new car 'Betsy', what has happened?

Clue: It's not a re-shell.
Old 25-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1067
Given the number of Jaguars, Triumphs, MGs etc that have been "re-patriated" from the US over the years and had the steering put back on the correct side, I'd say Sean is on his own with this. A little information on importing an LHD car into New Zealand -

"Are there restrictions on LHD vehicles?

Yes. Most left-hand drive vehicles have to be converted to right-hand drive (RHD) before they can be driven on New Zealand roads"

State-sponsored ringing, Sean?
Old 25-10-2017, 09:31 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albrecht View Post
Sean, If I call my car 'Betsy', and I write 'Betsy' off and replace here with another - similar - car, and call that new car 'Betsy', what has happened?

Clue: It's not a re-shell.
Yes, but if the second Betsy was a Bill with a skirt (ie LHD and not RHD), than it's no longer Betsy but Bitsa.

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

I Love Zs.
Old 25-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_C View Post
Given the number of Jaguars, Triumphs, MGs etc that have been "re-patriated" from the US over the years and had the steering put back on the correct side, I'd say Sean is on his own with this. A little information on importing an LHD car into New Zealand -

"Are there restrictions on LHD vehicles?

Yes. Most left-hand drive vehicles have to be converted to right-hand drive (RHD) before they can be driven on New Zealand roads"

State-sponsored ringing, Sean?
Apparently but does open the door for the guys down there to sawp their chassis numbers over - don't you think ?

And how many of those Jags, Trimuphs, MGs, Porsches etc have become previous DVLA cars ?

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

I Love Zs.
Old 25-10-2017, 09:37 PM
Administrator
Third gear

Member 1051
It's been laid out in very clear terms:

Vehicles keeping their 'name' but changing shell: Legal provided it is done correctly.
Vehicles keeping their VIN but changing LHD/RHD: Legal provided it is done correctly.
Vehicles intended for the track and never returning to the road changing shell: Legal however you want to do it.
Vehicles changing shell and switching to the VIN of the replacement shell: Legal provided it is done correctly.
Vehicles changing shell and retaining the VIN from their old shell: Not legal
Vehicles changing LHD / RHD changing to the VIN from any donated parts: Not legal
Vehicles using a 2nd hand shell or mixing 2 shells: Legal provided the DVLA assesses the car and will probably get a New VIN and Q Plate .

Obviously historically or in shady places this may not have been done 'correctly' but there is little we can do to change this except advocate for all current changes to be done correctly.

Unless you can PROVE that any of this is incorrect, with evidence we don't need a Devil's advocate here.
Old 25-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanDezart View Post
Apparently but does open the door for the guys down there to sawp their chassis numbers over - don't you think ?

And how many of those Jags, Trimuphs, MGs, Porsches etc have become previous DVLA cars ?
And I doubt anyone would disagree with you that represents "identity theft". I'm thinking more about your "keeping the VIN with the shell but changing the steering side is ringing" stance. NZ Government don't agree with you, nor the Jag etc owners who have done just that. If your argument is that you are changing the identity because the plate says LHD, then surely by the same logic swapping your blown engine for one from a scrapper is identity change too, as the engine number / type is also held on the plate?
Old 25-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Administrator
Third gear

Member 1051
Locking the thread due to repetition.
Closed Thread