No username? Register here.
Go Back   ZClub.net > General > General discussion
Click here to visit the Z1 Motorsports website

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 23-10-2017, 05:49 PM
richiep's Avatar
richiep richiep is offline
Z Club member
Fifth gear
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Macclesfield, Cheshire
Posts: 2,425
Member 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by franky View Post
Sean, you do know what’s right and wrong. A vin number is assigned to a chassis, not a bulkhead. Swapping the bulkhead to rhd, it’s still a lhd vin number. Anything else is ringing.
This. But Sean's in agent provocateur-mode and fancies generating some 'spirited conversation' for the sake of it!

You can replace a lot of a car through repairs and it still be considered its original identity - even the bulkhead: as long as that bulkhead is new and NOT from another car, and being used to change legal identity/VIN number.

Maybe French rules are different, but that is the current situation here.
  #47  
Old 23-10-2017, 06:00 PM
SeanDezart's Avatar
SeanDezart SeanDezart is offline
Z Club member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pouzauges 85700 France
Posts: 18,694
Member 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by richiep View Post
This. But Sean's in agent provocateur-mode and fancies generating some 'spirited conversation' for the sake of it!

Maybe French rules are different, but that is the current situation here.
Luckily for the UK then that the law isn't retoractive BUT I remember Alan saying a long while ago that whilst prices remain low, nobody bats an eyelid but wait 'til they go up !

Which is where we are now !

Years ago, reshelling was done 'cos it was :

affordable
quick
provided a better chance of longer-lasting protection
kept certain competition cars competing

It wasn't done to make a profit and what as there to be made on a £2-4k car back then ?
__________________
A new Datsun era !

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zstor...6789934?ref=hl

Club Datsun-France www.datsun-france.com

I Love Zs.
  #48  
Old 23-10-2017, 06:08 PM
SeanDezart's Avatar
SeanDezart SeanDezart is offline
Z Club member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pouzauges 85700 France
Posts: 18,694
Member 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanDezart View Post
I don't see any difference between a UK RHD Z reshelled using a clean LHD chassis and original RHD VIN vs. a clean LHD chassis converted to RHD and using the original LHD VIN. One or t'other is no more or less legal.

The only difference appears to be in your (all of you) estimated end-values of each type of car.....with all the money (and therefore incentive for fraud) going on the RHD VIN with RHD chassis.

How many buyers could and would search for the tell-tale signs ?
Yeah, seriously.

In theory, both VIN plates will have been removed from their respective chassis and rewelded back in whether just the plate or the entire bulkhead. You're arguing over size, not principle.
Or somebody explain to me how else to do such conversions ?

Admitedly the RHD Z using a LHD VIN will not have seen another number but we're saying here that this type of car is worth the least in the UK - right ?
__________________
A new Datsun era !

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zstor...6789934?ref=hl

Club Datsun-France www.datsun-france.com

I Love Zs.
  #49  
Old 23-10-2017, 06:12 PM
Mr_Tenno's Avatar
Mr_Tenno Mr_Tenno is offline
Administrator
Third gear
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 386
Member 1051
Did you just reply to yourself Sean?
  #50  
Old 23-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Albrecht Albrecht is offline
Website member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Up a ladder...
Posts: 3,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanDezart View Post
Perhaps I'm being obtuse, but surely a LHDVIN number should be attached to a LHD Z ?
OK, per yesterday's FB discussion: How about taking an 'HLS30' prefixed chassis number and supporting documentation from one car, and putting it on another 'HLS30' prefixed car? Essentially an identity swap. You seemed to be supporting this possibility yesterday.

Some things to think about: Why does the recipient car need a chassis number and identity-supporting documentation? Where has the recipient car's original chassis number and identity gone? Where has the donor chassis number and documentation come from, and what has happened to the remains of the donor?

Potential Can O' Worms, isn't it?
  #51  
Old 23-10-2017, 06:18 PM
Albrecht Albrecht is offline
Website member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Up a ladder...
Posts: 3,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanDezart View Post
...but we're saying here that this type of car is worth the least in the UK - right ?
Why the obsession with "worth" and perceived value?

Worst case scenario, cars could be confiscated and crushed. What will be their value then?
  #52  
Old 23-10-2017, 06:20 PM
SeanDezart's Avatar
SeanDezart SeanDezart is offline
Z Club member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pouzauges 85700 France
Posts: 18,694
Member 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albrecht View Post
Why the obsession with "worth" and perceived value?

Worst case scenario, cars could be confiscated and crushed. What will be their value then?
True but worth and value are driving these practices - fact of life and one which you highligthed many moons ago.
__________________
A new Datsun era !

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zstor...6789934?ref=hl

Club Datsun-France www.datsun-france.com

I Love Zs.
  #53  
Old 23-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Mr_Tenno's Avatar
Mr_Tenno Mr_Tenno is offline
Administrator
Third gear
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 386
Member 1051
Great point raised earlier. If you have two shells one mostly solid (the donor) and one in dire need of repair (the recipient) - is there any legitimate reason not to use the donor shells identity? If it's purely a cost / simplicity decision there's no reason to try and keep the recipient identity except to deceive people (or yourself?).
  #54  
Old 23-10-2017, 06:25 PM
SeanDezart's Avatar
SeanDezart SeanDezart is offline
Z Club member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pouzauges 85700 France
Posts: 18,694
Member 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albrecht View Post
OK, per yesterday's FB discussion: How about taking an 'HLS30' prefixed chassis number and supporting documentation from one car, and putting it on another 'HLS30' prefixed car? Essentially an identity swap. You seemed to be supporting this possibility yesterday.

Some things to think about: Why does the recipient car need a chassis number and identity-supporting documentation? Where has the recipient car's original chassis number and identity gone? Where has the donor chassis number and documentation come from, and what has happened to the remains of the donor?

Potential Can O' Worms, isn't it?
Yep, can of worms and every classic cars have them - I've seen Porsches done for real and I'm sure that Alfas, Fiat, Ford Escort MK1s are done.

Relating to your example...when a Heritage shell is used - is a new VIN supplied by the DVLA or the old one ?
If not, what is the real difference between swapping a VIN from one chassis to another ? Merely the age of the chassis - a moot point !

Your things to think about :

First is obvious.
No car keeper or seller will care for the others - the car will be registered with it's ID as is or not - rarely will anyone look further : simple fact.
__________________
A new Datsun era !

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zstor...6789934?ref=hl

Club Datsun-France www.datsun-france.com

I Love Zs.
  #55  
Old 23-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Mr_Tenno's Avatar
Mr_Tenno Mr_Tenno is offline
Administrator
Third gear
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 386
Member 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanDezart View Post
Relating to your example...when a Heritage shell is used - is a new VIN supplied by the DVLA or the old one ?
I believe you can keep the VIN when it's a new shell from the manufacturer. Seems like it's their way of making sure you don't take an unsafe, written off car shell and get it back on the road with a new identity.
  #56  
Old 23-10-2017, 06:48 PM
SeanDezart's Avatar
SeanDezart SeanDezart is offline
Z Club member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pouzauges 85700 France
Posts: 18,694
Member 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Tenno View Post
Great point raised earlier. If you have two shells one mostly solid (the donor) and one in dire need of repair (the recipient) - is there any legitimate reason not to use the donor shells identity? If it's purely a cost / simplicity decision there's no reason to try and keep the recipient identity except to deceive people (or yourself?).
All you've quoted is some bloke importing a LHD (I assume ?) car to use instead of his dead garage project and also (I assume ?) converting it to RHD.

Everyone here seems to say that that is ok although that would normally involve the cutting out of the VIN and placing it in the correct RHD zone. The conversion might also involve a complete bulkhead swap which, preseumably for everyone here is ok too ?

I'm not against any swapping VINs when it finishes with a safe car and MOT-ed and registered with the correct authorities - in your case, the DVLA.

I know of people on the continent importing LHD cars from the States and putting their existing VINs in.

a) because of the same restoration costs saved
b)incredibly difficult and expensive to register (not import - that will already have been done to physically get the car into the country) an imported Z - Portugal is a prime example but there are plenty of others, Denmark, Norway....

And as market values rise, so the issue will become more and more important.

But we hear every year of some 'barn-find' which'll be worth loads when restored or the best one still, I read some 260Z 2+2 owner here who lives near Strasbourg claiming that his triple 40mm Webers came off the Le Mans car....

There's always some angle for someone to expect more for their car-sale.....unless there is a famous and especially competition car being re-shelled, I don't see a problem in common or garden mass-produced Zs being reshelled to keep them alive whether that be 15% new metal or 80%.
__________________
A new Datsun era !

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zstor...6789934?ref=hl

Club Datsun-France www.datsun-france.com

I Love Zs.
  #57  
Old 23-10-2017, 06:51 PM
SeanDezart's Avatar
SeanDezart SeanDezart is offline
Z Club member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pouzauges 85700 France
Posts: 18,694
Member 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Tenno View Post
I believe you can keep the VIN when it's a new shell from the manufacturer. Seems like it's their way of making sure you don't take an unsafe, written off car shell and get it back on the road with a new identity.
So why not allow the same practice for LH to RH conversions ?
__________________
A new Datsun era !

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zstor...6789934?ref=hl

Club Datsun-France www.datsun-france.com

I Love Zs.
  #58  
Old 23-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Albrecht Albrecht is offline
Website member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Up a ladder...
Posts: 3,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanDezart View Post
Your things to think about :
In the case of 'Heritage' replacement bodyshells, there's no identity switching going on. A replacement part is being supplied by the original manufacturer - or an agent thereof - and the chassis number is usually stamped on a plate which is affixed to that replacement bodyshell. Key point is that there is no second or third party - already existing donor with its own identity - involved in the equation. This was always the case with the classic 'body in white' replacement monocoque/bodyshell from a manufacturer.

With the Nissan S30-series, the chassis number is engraved on the firewall at birth - effectively making the bodyshell/unibody unit 'The Car'. Part Number One. Supported by its engine bay-affixed chassis tag (stamped with the chassis number) and - in the case of North American market versions - the door jamb tag and dash tag, this forms the unit's identity. Theoretically, it's not a moveable feast. You can chop and change a car around, strip it down to a 'shell, hybridise, bastardise and mess around as much as you want (subject to inspection...) but you can't legally change its identity without full disclosure to the licensing authorities and acceptance of their choice for its destiny (including their VIN and a 'Q' plate, if they see fit). That's the situation in the UK as I understand it.

There are no replacement bodyshells available from Nissan anyway, so the 'Heritage 'shell' situation as far as it applies to 'us' is a straw man.
  #59  
Old 23-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Albrecht Albrecht is offline
Website member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Up a ladder...
Posts: 3,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanDezart View Post
...I don't see a problem in common or garden mass-produced Zs being reshelled to keep them alive whether that be 15% new metal or 80%.
As long as there's no stolen/ringed/cut-and-shuts in the equation, maybe so.

Sage advice: "Keep it on the down low..."
  #60  
Old 23-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Stockdale Stockdale is offline
Z Club member
Third gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Middlewich
Posts: 272
Member 343
The original VIN plate fixed to my '74 260z was as far as I can tell stolen by a 'reputable' z specialist a few years ago when in for extensive repair work. It was replaced without my knowledge by a 240z plate (car no HS30 101095). I didn't notice for quite some time but gather that the replacement was from a scrapped vehicle.

I did make a posting to the club site but it was dismissed as 'my problem' which was a little dissapointing. There is probably a 260z out there carrying my cars original VIN plate and at some point I am sure things will come to a head. By way of evidence I do have several photographs of the original VIN plate on my car which can be used in evidence. If you have bought a restored 260z during the last few years do take a close look at the VIN plate. You may have bought a ringer.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:02 AM.

The Future Is Bright... The Future Is ZClub!

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © ZClub.net, All Rights Reserved.