No username? Register here.
  #1  
Old 19-06-2017, 04:54 PM
Jon_Flynn's Avatar
Jon_Flynn Jon_Flynn is offline
Z Club member
Third gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bradford
Posts: 318
Member 1115
Heater problems

So whilst my cars blower works just fine, and the cold air via the AC is cold, on the hot settings I still get cool air. I've had a look in the fuse boxes but can't see any that need replacing - what else should I be looking for to diagnose?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19-06-2017, 05:45 PM
jonbills's Avatar
jonbills jonbills is offline
Z Club member
Fifth gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: M6
Posts: 2,364
Member 254
Is the coolant system plumbed into the cabin inlets? I think it's pretty common to bypass the heater because the valves can leak.
__________________
1974 260z
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20-06-2017, 09:29 AM
Jon_Flynn's Avatar
Jon_Flynn Jon_Flynn is offline
Z Club member
Third gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bradford
Posts: 318
Member 1115
Cheers Jon. I'll take a look


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Woody928's Avatar
Woody928 Woody928 is offline
Z Club member
Third gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Surrey
Posts: 416
Member 1093
Assuming its the stock system then check the temperature of the pipes running through the firewall into the cabin by touching them once up to temperature. If only one is warm and the heater valve is definitely open then your heater core could well be blocked.

This happened to us and after flushing it completely failed we had to get the unit refurbed which was when we discovered how much corrosion and gunk was really in there!

What AC are you running out of curiosity?
__________________
1971 Datsun 240z - L26 - 918 Orange
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Jon_Flynn's Avatar
Jon_Flynn Jon_Flynn is offline
Z Club member
Third gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bradford
Posts: 318
Member 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody928 View Post
Assuming its the stock system then check the temperature of the pipes running through the firewall into the cabin by touching them once up to temperature. If only one is warm and the heater valve is definitely open then your heater core could well be blocked.

This happened to us and after flushing it completely failed we had to get the unit refurbed which was when we discovered how much corrosion and gunk was really in there!

What AC are you running out of curiosity?


Thanks, I need to take a look at it at the weekend when I can get some bits off the car. But that gives me some great places to start!

On the AC, it's the stock 280 factory AC. Still blowing cold, although I have no idea where I'll get it re-gassed if I need to...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22-06-2017, 03:48 PM
Woody928's Avatar
Woody928 Woody928 is offline
Z Club member
Third gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Surrey
Posts: 416
Member 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Flynn View Post
Thanks, I need to take a look at it at the weekend when I can get some bits off the car. But that gives me some great places to start!

On the AC, it's the stock 280 factory AC. Still blowing cold, although I have no idea where I'll get it re-gassed if I need to...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No worries, give me a shout if you want as I've got reasonably familiar with the system with the recent refurb

Great to hear, I'd love to have ours operation and have all the OEM kit but don't really know where to start or fully understand how the system operates with no condenser. Doubt there's many people around with an understanding of the system!
__________________
1971 Datsun 240z - L26 - 918 Orange
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22-06-2017, 03:58 PM
Jon_Flynn's Avatar
Jon_Flynn Jon_Flynn is offline
Z Club member
Third gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bradford
Posts: 318
Member 1115
Well, if you want any pictures of the system and where it runs I'm happy to share, but I don't know how it works or what the main components are. It looks nothing like the AC in any of the other cars...

Thanks for that mate. I might have to tap you up for that knowledge. I'm hoping that by stripping the front panel in the dash out I can access everything that I need to


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Mutey Mutey is offline
Z Club member
Stuck in reverse
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Chatham
Posts: 8
Member 1143
I'm going to say its safe to assume your aircon is still on R12 (because of the age etc) You can get it changed to r134a which is the replacement but you'd have to completely de-gas it, drain the oil from the system, change the drier/filter etc then you can put the new synthetic oil in and re-gas it. You'd want a refrigeration/transport engineer to do that as you'd struggle to find a garage that'll do it (legally that is)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22-06-2017, 05:35 PM
Mark N Mark N is offline
Z Club member
Second gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 159
Member 1113
If you are changing from R12 to R134a you will also need adapters like these!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-High-...kAAOSwY3BZJ-1s
__________________
.



Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23-06-2017, 04:23 PM
Woody928's Avatar
Woody928 Woody928 is offline
Z Club member
Third gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Surrey
Posts: 416
Member 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Flynn View Post
Well, if you want any pictures of the system and where it runs I'm happy to share, but I don't know how it works or what the main components are. It looks nothing like the AC in any of the other cars...

Thanks for that mate. I might have to tap you up for that knowledge. I'm hoping that by stripping the front panel in the dash out I can access everything that I need to
If your offering I'd be curious to see the components of the system and where the pipework runs. Haha I can sympathize with that it was obviously very primitive by modern standards.

No worries we ended up removing ours with the dash in situ however it was a Pita. If its not rusted shut and you can remove your control panel then in theory you should be able to remove the side access panel to gain access to the core while leaving the shell in place however I personally couldn't do this. HTH
__________________
1971 Datsun 240z - L26 - 918 Orange
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 23-06-2017, 04:24 PM
Jon_Flynn's Avatar
Jon_Flynn Jon_Flynn is offline
Z Club member
Third gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bradford
Posts: 318
Member 1115
I'll take some pics at the weekend and send your way.

Yeah I'm hoping I can fix it...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:45 AM.

The Future Is Bright... The Future Is ZClub!

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ZClub.net, All Rights Reserved.