No username? Register here.
Old 23-04-2014, 01:04 AM
Z Club member
Fifth gear

Member 46
Im not to convinced about your parking lower down the screen rob unless the motor goes forwards and reverse on normal wiping ?? As the rotational effort of the motor drive arm will send the wipers full sweep back and forth as your aware i have totally re wired mine (tricky and probably wrong) but concluded that the dc motor needed to be shorted out momenteraly to brake the wipers at rest or the inersia would let them park anywhere depending on a wet or dry screen

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
73 240z blue
70 M3 supercharged 240z orange temporarily quick
72 RHD conversion project volcanic orange
78 260z daily driver brown
66 corsair
2001 lpg transit
97 transit cherry picker
2001 ldv site vehicle
Vw caddy
Old 23-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Membership Secretary
Sixth gear

Member 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tel240z View Post
Im not to convinced about your parking lower down the screen rob unless the motor goes forwards and reverse on normal wiping ?? As the rotational effort of the motor drive arm will send the wipers full sweep back and forth as your aware i have totally re wired mine (tricky and probably wrong) but concluded that the dc motor needed to be shorted out momenteraly to brake the wipers at rest or the inersia would let them park anywhere depending on a wet or dry screen

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
I am correct Terry, believe me. The motor spins one way until it is switched off and then reverses. The clever but simple spring and cam mechanism extends the length of the linkage by 2 or 3mm to park them! On both my cars the spring was broken (but sorted now) and I suspect it is on most cars. Also both motors reverse when switched off, honest. The voltage polarity to the motor is reversed. I just find it interesting.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Membership Secretary
Sixth gear

Member 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Gaskin View Post

I will explain more about the wipers but the most interesting finding for me was that when the wipers are parking (switched off) the motor runs in the reverse direction and has a clever mechanism on the linkage which parks them in a position outside the normal wiping arc. I suspect most cars don't have this bit working correctly anymore. Did you ever wonder why the wipers do a wipe when you switch them off from intermittent?
I'm doing a conversion to a Honda motor to improve wiper speed (not that I ever drive it in the rain ). Anyway there is lots about this mod on American sites. I've got the wipers working ok and self parking however I've got a problem which doesn't seem to be covered on any sites. The wiper motor spins in the opposite direction so during normal operation the 'sweep' is lengthened due to the mechanism mentioned above. When parking they stop higher up the screen! Anybody done this mod?
Old 07-07-2017, 02:31 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 770
Quote:
I'm doing a conversion to a Honda motor to improve wiper speed (not that I ever drive it in the rain ). Anyway there is lots about this mod on American sites. I've got the wipers working ok and self parking however I've got a problem which doesn't seem to be covered on any sites. The wiper motor spins in the opposite direction so during normal operation the 'sweep' is lengthened due to the mechanism mentioned above. When parking they stop higher up the screen! Anybody done this mod?
Are they spinning the other direction because the instructions are LHD?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:25 PM
Membership Secretary
Sixth gear

Member 214
Quote:
As some of you will know from my recent Thread I'm working on the wipers on my Blue car to get them working as best they can. I may do the upgrade to a Honda Wiper Motor (faster) one day but not yet..................
Well I've done the Honda upgrade this week and it's a big improvement. Not straightforward but worth the effort. I'll do a write-up soon with video links. Basically on a wet screen the fast of the Datsun motor is equivalent to the slow of the Honda. On a dry screen (ok why?) the Datsun wipers almost stop, the Honda wipers are not so affected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s485bo4a-_A

Last edited by Rob Gaskin; 13-07-2017 at 12:39 PM..