No username? Register here.
Go Back   ZClub.net > General > Rebuilds and restorations
Click here to advertise with the ZClub

Old 15-07-2016, 11:00 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1093
Hi Ad,

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words. Haha I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's been captivated by it then. Good to know, I'd be curious to ask him about his exhaust specs at some point if possible, I think thats the route I want to go down. Outrageous race car look! All custom I'm sure.

Thanks for the kind offer, I know where you are. I' not going to rush into swapping lots of bits straight away, the L26 will stay in for the time being. In all likely hood if it comes out it will be replaced with a heavily speced L28 I would imagine.... lol

Cheers Mark

Has anyone got any recommendations on the tail lights I posted links to above? They seem to vary massively in price depending on where you look.

In other news I managed to meet up with the French Datsun club at the Le Mans Classic last weekend, managed to find a few brits which is always a bonus. Some truly awesome cars on display there, and more than I've seen before. There was even one racing in Plateau 6! Hopefully I'll get some pics up in due course.

Its also now looking as though the car may get onto a boat by the middle of next week. There's now enough cars for a container so its all looking very hopeful!
Old 16-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1052
I'm going with the blem ones from JDM ... I can't justify the cost of the perfect ones and MSA want over $700! Shipping looks like $100 in any case.

You can try and swing it with LED bulbs etc but I'm getting some regardless and rewiring the old setup. Will do a write-up for general consumption on here when done.

There's a single one on ebay atm, but I can't be bothered to get one and wait for the other from somewhere - there is a single one in the States on ebay as well but they won't match, you can betcha life!

Mike
1972 240Z US LHD ...
Old 16-07-2016, 04:15 PM
Website member
Third gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk66fastback View Post
I'm going with the blem ones from JDM ... I can't justify the cost of the perfect ones and MSA want over $700! Shipping looks like $100 in any case.
!
Welcome aboard she sure looks a lovely car, I like the front spoiler too, I imported an Orange 240Z a year ago so I know where you are and how excited you must be!

I went for the JDM Blem rear lights and they're superb, I couldn't find anything blemished about them, I think they're the best way to go, good luck when she arrives !
Old 16-07-2016, 04:24 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 514
My container is leaving on the 22nd. Race Ya

'73 240z 1JZ-GTE. Was pretty quick. 11.10@132.5mph
'72 240z RHD (4BOA) Being painted Orange. Bodyshop.
'72 240z LHD Black. Sold.
'73 240z LHD Green. Sold.
'73 240z LHD White. Sold - Future race car.
'73 240z LHD Blue. Sold.
'73 260z LHD Orange. Sold to a good home.
'70 240z LHD Yellow. On route and cant wait.
Skyline R33 GTS - Gone
Skyline R34 GTR - Gone
Toyota Surf 3.0TD

Go to: www.240z.me.uk to checkout the cars.
Old 16-07-2016, 04:45 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1052
That's two votes for the blems, then Woody. The most cost-effective solution I reckon ...

Mike
1972 240Z US LHD ...
Old 17-07-2016, 01:00 AM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk66fastback View Post

You can try and swing it with LED bulbs etc but I'm getting some regardless and rewiring the old setup. Will do a write-up for general consumption on here when done.

There's a single one on ebay atm, but I can't be bothered to get one and wait for the other from somewhere - there is a single one in the States on ebay as well but they won't match, you can betcha life!
Thanks for the feedback, I agree original JDM versions seem to go for silly money! I don't fancy the LED option either, much prefer the idea of the proper JDM look anyway. The amber sections look a lot better imo. Sounds like I'll also be going for a set of blem ones as well. I'm going to go for the ones linked below with gaskets as well for completeness.

http://jdm-car-parts.com/collections...l-reproduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red7 View Post
Welcome aboard she sure looks a lovely car, I like the front spoiler too, I imported an Orange 240Z a year ago so I know where you are and how excited you must be!

I went for the JDM Blem rear lights and they're superb, I couldn't find anything blemished about them, I think they're the best way to go, good luck when she arrives !
Thank you very much, I much prefer the look with a chin spoiler. I may change this one and also go black but that can wait for now. That's awesome, just looked in your gallery the car looks very clean! Serious engine work gone on? Haha I'm glad you can sympathise I'm like a child waiting for Christmas day driving loads of people mad with all my incessant talking about the car!

Thanks for the feedback, its great to hear some first hand reviews before taking the plunge. I'm decided now, I'll get the ones linked above, I need to hurry up and order so that they make it before the car does as well now. Hopefully I may get to meet at a show in due course and compare cars, I'm not sure how many meets there are that go on or not really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnymd View Post
My container is leaving on the 22nd. Race Ya
Haha well if you want to play that game I think my boats going to be faster than your boat I got an email tomorrow saying there's now a container load and it should be going by the middle of next week, just waiting on more precise emails so that race is on! Yours is in face departing on my birthday as it so happens. Where's yours coming into?
Old 17-07-2016, 01:41 AM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1066
Congrats Mark and a beautiful looking 240. Can't go wrong with a orange series 1 car IMO.
1973 240Z Ford V-8 Track
1967.5 Datsun 1600 Roadster
1969 Ford Torino 428 CJ
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
Old 17-07-2016, 07:36 AM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 514
It's going to Felixstowe with a planned arrival of 20/8.

'73 240z 1JZ-GTE. Was pretty quick. 11.10@132.5mph
'72 240z RHD (4BOA) Being painted Orange. Bodyshop.
'72 240z LHD Black. Sold.
'73 240z LHD Green. Sold.
'73 240z LHD White. Sold - Future race car.
'73 240z LHD Blue. Sold.
'73 260z LHD Orange. Sold to a good home.
'70 240z LHD Yellow. On route and cant wait.
Skyline R33 GTS - Gone
Skyline R34 GTR - Gone
Toyota Surf 3.0TD

Go to: www.240z.me.uk to checkout the cars.
Old 17-07-2016, 04:20 PM
Website member
Third gear

[QUOTE=Woody928;255783]

Thank you very much, I much prefer the look with a chin spoiler. I may change this one and also go black but that can wait for now. That's awesome, just looked in your gallery the car looks very clean! Serious engine work gone on? Haha I'm glad you can sympathise I'm like a child waiting for Christmas day driving loads of people mad with all my incessant talking about the car! [QUOTE]

Me too, I really like the one yours has on it, maybe in the same grey as OEM hubcaps and rear panel?

I'd say my car is 80% there, it's only had the N/S dog leg repaired, not that well as it happens, that will get sorted when it's stripped over the winter and repainted, it's only had a set it triple 40's on and tuned, just for the look and sound really, it goes well enough, all the way back from Le Mans above 4K revs and didn't miss a beat, it's quite floaty compared to my old one but that's because of the anti roll bar up front and having none on the rear, I've got those to upgrade over winter too, keep us posted

Last edited by Red7; 17-07-2016 at 04:57 PM..
Old 17-07-2016, 09:36 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacCyclone View Post
Congrats Mark and a beautiful looking 240. Can't go wrong with a orange series 1 car IMO.
Thanks man, I hope not. Its certainly my favourite combo Do I spy thats you track your car? How does it handle? I still haven't even driven one of these yet! lol I only got taken out in one last weekend for the first time, well after buying my one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnymd View Post
It's going to Felixstowe with a planned arrival of 20/8.
Nice, must be excited! Albeit I'm sure you've got lots to keep you busy in the meantime by the looks of your signature! I'm hoping to get mine slightly before as I really optimistically want mine road ready for the Goodwood Revival. How long does it usually take to clear UK customs and get the car registered with a number plate from the DVLA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red7 View Post
Me too, I really like the one yours has on it, maybe in the same grey as OEM hubcaps and rear panel?

I'd say my car is 80% there, it's only had the N/S dog leg repaired, not that well as it happens, that will get sorted when it's stripped over the winter and repainted, it's only had a set it triple 40's on and tuned, just for the look and sound really, it goes well enough, all the way back from Le Mans above 4K revs and didn't miss a beat, it's quite floaty compared to my old one but that's because of the anti roll bar up front and having none on the rear, I've got those to upgrade over winter too, keep us posted
Cheers, that's not a bad shout. I think the wheels may go Flat/Matt black so I may match that as I want some bullet wing mirrors like that as well. It certainly finishes the front of the car off. Personally I really like the one on this car linked below.

http://petrolicious.com/this-nissan-...anese-survivor

That's still a long way down the path! sounds like you've got it all mapped out for the winter then. I can't blame you, I love the look and sounds of the webbers What sort of power do you reckon your getting from it? I was pleasantly surprised by the one I got taken out in, for its time it is a really strong engine. Were you over for the classic then? I may have seen your car on the club stand? Interesting, did they only come with front roll bars then? Definitely will keep this thread posted
Old 17-07-2016, 10:20 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1052
I think US ones only came with front ARBs ... the suspension is softer when stock in the US ones as well. I hope I have that the right way round ...

If you search saccyclone on YouTube you'll see Mike's Z on the track ... so you'll see how well it handles.

Mike
1972 240Z US LHD ...
Old 17-07-2016, 11:59 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1093
Right ok, sounds like a rear arb will be on the upgrade list. Is there much aftermarket choice? Will be interesting to see how it copes with the UK roads then if its softer it may actually be preferential with the amount of pot holes we have! I've got a fast road setup MR2 Turbo with track capable suspension so in no need of another firm car.

I've just had a watch, nice driving. The car looks incredibly composed! Would have thought it may be a bit tail happy but looks very planted. The circuits in the in the US also look fantastic! weather and track temperatures must be a lot better as well! lol Is yours intended purely for track use? or does it hit the streets as well? (I saw the triples sound test on the road, some nice inspiration)
Old 18-07-2016, 04:51 AM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1066
The track video was with SU carbs and different exhaust. I will post a link here to another track video with triple Mikuni 40's and newer exhaust, also added T3 suspension front and rear and lowered a bit too. I had to shift at 5K due to fuel delivery issues. Still need to add a electric fuel pump and dyno tune the car, my carbs are still not correct. Loading video now, link to follow.
1973 240Z Ford V-8 Track
1969 Ford Torino 428 CJ
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
Old 18-07-2016, 06:13 AM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1066
https://youtu.be/DMMAVRStkko

Thanks.

Street car with some track day parts added. Not all that fast when compared to some other race prepped Zeds on this forum but I have fun with it anyway.

I have another full cage race car that still needs to be built later this year and I will start a thread on it at some point.

1973 240Z Ford V-8 Track
1969 Ford Torino 428 CJ
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
Old 19-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1093
Well it certainly looks like a lot of fun anyway. When you say T3 components are you running coilovers on there? Nice to have a good mix between street and track if you can. Definitely looks very clean in the photo for a car that hits the track.

In other news I've just had it confirmed that my car is being loaded onto a ship on the 26th July with an arrival date in Southampton of 15th August. Anyone who's imported before know how long it usually takes to unload and clear customs etc before your allowed to collect it?