No username? Register here.
Go Back   ZClub.net > General > Rebuilds and restorations
MJP AUTO

Old 06-07-2017, 11:11 AM
Membership Secretary
Sixth gear

Member 214
Yes great adventure and write-up.

In the old days that would have been a good article for our magazine.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:05 PM
Administrator
Third gear

Member 1051
Agreed!
Old 06-07-2017, 05:25 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1052
Great write up as usual Mark.

Rob, I produced the mag for the Mustang Owners Club for 10 years and in the end it died a death really (it still gets edited and printed but not by me) as people would put 100 words of typo-filled stuff in a post on the forum with and three pics and that was all they could be bothered to do.

if there was a Z Club mag, then Matt would be the best contributor I reckon!

Mike
1972 240Z US LHD ...

Last edited by uk66fastback; 06-07-2017 at 11:26 PM..
Old 06-07-2017, 11:15 PM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1093
Thank you all for the kind comments, good to see people are still reading the thread I'll try and keep things up to date, and know that my writing could certainly do with some polishing to improve however that should just teach me not to finish and post near midnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Flynn View Post
Great write up mate - love following your adventures in the Z. Makes me want to drive mine more :/

Really glad you got the bonnet release sorted, just typical that you had an issue whilst the cable was snapped. It has made me think about going and checking my bonnet release and handbrake cables though...
Thanks dude, just get out there and drive there's nothing better you can do with these cars. You really don't know what adventure is awaiting you around the next corner. Cheers, I had this disturbing feeling it would come back to bite us lol. At least if its caused you to check yours as well then thats no bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanDezart View Post
Lovely and thanks also for the engine write up - you've certainly 'done' the French experience ! Breze is fantastic, touring the kichens and wine press inside the caves - you missed out on the wine-tasting in the nearby Chinon and Samaur region - next time and with our club I hope.

Cheers.
Glad its of some use, however as I've hopefully conveyed I can't take the credit also apologies its missing a lot more technical detail but its beyond my knowledge. We thought we'd try and bolt on something different this year, Breze was stunning I've never been to a Chateau like it. I think what surprised me most was that the cave complex takes away from the chateau which while stunning didn't have too many rooms on show. Haha what a shame I'll have to return again then Sounds good to me, I'm already looking forward to the LMC next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franky View Post
Great story. Nice to see it being used so much.

Regarding the suspension, just do what you think's right for you. There's a cheaper option from intrax also. Suspension is the one thing you'll be able to feel at all times.

Ps - great looking car.
Thanks man, as you know I'm a non believer of this hide it in a garage nonsense. Stone chips and patina are acceptable when they're well earned.

Yeah thanks, its doing my head in somewhat! lol I think the issue is almost all setups will have a drawback of some kind, its just trying to choose the best option for us. Keep me posted on the brake kit though as after some thought I'm very interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Great read Woody. I'll be looking for someone to strip down the engine to check it over once the summer months are over, so of particular interest.

These trials are what makes the trips memorable, a sense of adventure.

Stunning photo there Woody. One for my downloads.. Really shows how lovely your car is, as you know I'm a huge fan of the colour from Donnington. Sometimes you see a car that in every detail just works, catches the eye and yours for me is one. I love the look without the spoiler, have been humming and hawing over mine for some time. Your wheels fill the arches perfectly, is it lowered?
Happy to pass his details on if your interested, I was really pleased with his work and will be going back (in fact the car is there now lol). Anything wrong? or are you just after peace of mind?

Couldn't agree more, of sorts I'm glad it happened as we'll never forget it and we're upgrading the car in the process for the future so its a win win as long as I don't look at my bank balance

I'm flattered Thanks very much, I can send you the original raw file if you really want. It was the war memorial which caught my eye and caused me to stop to grab a pic however I couldn't resist one of the car on the way back as it looked so quaint and beautiful in the little French village.

Haha funnily enough I'm considering one long term if I go ahead with the racer look however thats a long way off and we've agreed that if we do we'll get a separate rear hatch to drill holes in a fit and keep the original one mint so we can swap back The wheels are great, as far as I know its completely stock setup by US standards however the 16's really fill the arches to help out. It still sits high at the front though, given the choice I'd lower it at the front to balance it out a bit more which is what's coming into my current suspension strut choice dilemma.

I'm biased but I do think its the best colour for a Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Gaskin View Post
Yes great adventure and write-up.

In the old days that would have been a good article for our magazine.
Thanks Rob, I'd imagine those days are long passed from what you've said before. Trying to get regular content would be difficult, I know it took me a few hours to write all of that as it was (the sad git that I am) and it could still do with a few tweaks having re reviewed it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Tenno View Post
Agreed!
Cheers dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk66fastback View Post
Great write up as usual Matt.

Rob, I produced the mag for the Mustang Owners Club for 10 years and in the end it died a death really (it still gets edited and printed but not by me) as people would put 100 words of typo-filled stuff in a post on the forum with and three pics and that was all they could be bothered to do.

if there was a Z Club mag, then Matt would be the best contributor I reckon!
Close but no cigar, if your change the 'tt' with 'rk' we'll get there though (Mark)

Thanks Mike, there always seems to be another bit of club history I learn every visit here. I'm sure if its a regular publication then it gets very hard to write content, as it sounds like was the case for you and Rb with the Mustang club. I certainly couldn't come up with write ups all the time, if nothing else its hugely time consuming and I've got a fair bit of room for improvement. Same with the pictures I try and do a bit here or there but I'm a very causal photographer, that being said they always bring project threads and articles to life imo.

I can see why journalists like old cars though, as when it goes wrong its much easier to write about I'm flattered that several people think so highly of some of my writing anyway Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:27 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1052
Sorry Mark, I was emailing a guy (our ad guy at work) not 30sec before I posted - and his name is Matt!

Mike
1972 240Z US LHD ...
Old 07-07-2017, 12:11 AM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk66fastback View Post
Sorry Mark, I was emailing a guy (our ad guy at work) not 30sec before I posted - and his name is Matt!
No worries dude, it was only in jest

I'm sure it didn't help that Matt had commented above and also has an orange 240z.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Website member
Second gear

Great right up Mark, and as a newbie to the world of Z I am learning something new all the time with such informative posts, and to be honest pretty much everything on here as a matter of fact

Interesting read on the head work, went to pick up mine for the first time yesterday and with a jolly good test drive, I have found my head gasket has given up the ghost. I'm hoping that I have no crack in the head but a lot of gasses is now getting in the water coolant, so the signs are not good.

Anyway, what I really wanting to say is that having driven the Z rather enthusiastically, albeit for a relatively short period of time, the handling is sublime with the front/rear uprated roll bar kit fitted. I have factory stock springs and shocks, and it rides quite firm which surprised me No evidence at all of any unwieldy body roll, and I was still able to get feedback from all corners. I purposely cornered hard over potholes (seem plentiful now!) and there was no skipping or jumping at back. Very composed. I might be lucky but my 73 already had rear brackets fitted to the body, so made the installation of the rear bar rather neat. Now I have NOT driven a Z without stiffer front and no rear roll bar as was standard issue in the US so can't give comparable feedback, but I am most impressed with the current setup and the feedback I am getting from the handling. I have no plans for track days, but for fast road use and enjoying the car across Europe I think it's a must!
Old 11-07-2017, 11:11 AM
Z Club member
Third gear

Member 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobafett View Post
Great right up Mark, and as a newbie to the world of Z I am learning something new all the time with such informative posts, and to be honest pretty much everything on here as a matter of fact

Interesting read on the head work, went to pick up mine for the first time yesterday and with a jolly good test drive, I have found my head gasket has given up the ghost. I'm hoping that I have no crack in the head but a lot of gasses is now getting in the water coolant, so the signs are not good.

Anyway, what I really wanting to say is that having driven the Z rather enthusiastically, albeit for a relatively short period of time, the handling is sublime with the front/rear uprated roll bar kit fitted. I have factory stock springs and shocks, and it rides quite firm which surprised me No evidence at all of any unwieldy body roll, and I was still able to get feedback from all corners. I purposely cornered hard over potholes (seem plentiful now!) and there was no skipping or jumping at back. Very composed. I might be lucky but my 73 already had rear brackets fitted to the body, so made the installation of the rear bar rather neat. Now I have NOT driven a Z without stiffer front and no rear roll bar as was standard issue in the US so can't give comparable feedback, but I am most impressed with the current setup and the feedback I am getting from the handling. I have no plans for track days, but for fast road use and enjoying the car across Europe I think it's a must!
Thanks Tony glad to hear your enjoying it, couldn’t agree more I seem to learn something almost every time I go onto the forums.

Sorry to hear that sounds rather unfortunate to say the least, let’s keep fingers crossed it’s the just the head gasket rather than anything more sinister. It certainly makes me feel like I got away lightly and reinforces the suggestion that there’s been a few cars in the US that have been mechanically neglected….

Thank you for the feedback! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear, sounds very composed now as a result. I’ll need to get in contact with Mike shortly to get a set ordered as they seem the right balance for a road car. I’m surprised to hear the ride in yours is firm with standard struts and springs as we certainly waft around in comfort by comparison and with the US spec front arb certainly roll around corners as well. I doubt I’ll be so lucky with having any brackets fitted with mine being a 1970 car however I’ll wait and see what fitment adventures await me. No worries its always subjective when you get feedback on peoples setups and opinions, I’m sure it will be worthwhile.

With fast road and Europe in mind we’re now in full swing piecing everything together to completely bring our suspension setup into the 21st Century. Rather fortunately my parents have had a last minute trip out to California where they were they were quite literally passing Techno Toy Tunings front door. A very last minute phone call the day after (4th July public holiday) when they reopened first thing in the morning and by chance they had all the bits I was after in stock. Order completed and all parts collected just before closing my dad even got a quick tour of the workshop the lucky sod!

Some duffle bags packed later and we’ve certainly saved a few quid on shipping to say the least with some seriously robust quality parts turning up on Friday afternoon on their arrival home. Very handy being able to get some extra hold luggage space on the way back.

We’ve decided to pick up some T3 Adjustable Lower Control Arms, T3 GTX2 Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms, Inner/Outer Tie rods and prothane steering rack bushes. I’ve only been able to have a brief look before to check it was all there before returning it to bubble wrap however the quality looks superb. All the remains on the suspension list for now is a Poly steering coupler to try and remove some more steering play, Anti Roll bar kit (1inch front rear) and suspension struts of some description. I think I’ve concluded coilovers will be the answer and will therefore be looking to source some suspension strut assembly’s to be sectioned however I’ve still not made my mind up as to who and how much. I may try and blag some rides in other members cars beforehand if possible, however it looks like I’m going to leave the current bits for one big swap and then only require one four wheel alignment and setup. It’s nice to say we’re finally doing something on our wish list for a change

Here’s a few pics for now anyway.

FullSizeRender (8) by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

FullSizeRender (9) by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

T3 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

T3.1 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr