No username? Register here.
Go Back   ZClub.net > General > Rebuilds and restorations
Click here for your insurance needs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Zed-the-red Zed-the-red is offline
Website member
Third gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: sheffield
Posts: 433
Chaps.. Uuup Norf here we have a brilliant outfit called noble motorsports they are in chesterfield they can tackle any car.. maybe you have seen the Noble race car?
They will be looking at my tuning in the new year. its great up norf.. tha knows.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-11-2014, 08:50 PM
grahamjc grahamjc is offline
Website member
Fourth gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: London
Posts: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed-the-red View Post
Chaps.. Uuup Norf here we have a brilliant outfit called noble motorsports they are in chesterfield they can tackle any car.. maybe you have seen the Noble race car?
They will be looking at my tuning in the new year. its great up norf.. tha knows.
Thanks, but will need to find some down south in my area for the future, so may as well start now.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-11-2014, 01:19 PM
grahamjc grahamjc is offline
Website member
Fourth gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: London
Posts: 806
Final payment has been made and transport has been arranged for Sunday. I am also "working from home" on Monday........
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-11-2014, 01:39 PM
STEVE BURNS's Avatar
STEVE BURNS STEVE BURNS is offline
I loved my 280ZX
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Greenford, Middlesex
Posts: 10,345
Member 6
so I could sit over the M25 near Greenford and watch it on its way to you
__________________
Z Club # 6,
300zx-club.com #16,
300zx.co.uk #96,
350ZUK #151,
350Z-UK #79,
IZCC #2872
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-11-2014, 01:44 PM
grahamjc grahamjc is offline
Website member
Fourth gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: London
Posts: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE BURNS View Post
so I could sit over the M25 near Greenford and watch it on its way to you
pretty much.... might take awhile with M6 traffic though.... it will either be led or followed by a red GTR
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-11-2014, 01:44 PM
jaydeescuba jaydeescuba is offline
Website member
Third gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: portsmouth
Posts: 230
^^Like he said
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Albrecht Albrecht is offline
Website member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Up a ladder...
Posts: 3,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamjc View Post
Thanks, but will need to find some down south in my area for the future, so may as well start now.
The OEM HItachi HJG46Ws are - in principle - a very simple and effective design. Unless they are worn out ( the throttle shafts tend to leak air a bit after 40+ years...) you might find it interesting / informative to have a go at optimising them yourself. Why not? Unlike your R35, the S30 is something that you can work on yourself...

Arm yourself with some factory literature ( the factory service manual for the L20A & L24 engines has a great chapter on the carbs ) to read in bed / in the bath / on the bus, roll your sleeves up and have a twiddle. What harm?

If it turns out they are 'tired' you can get refurbed ones from Z Therapy in the USA, but I have a feeling that temptation and those whispering "...I can sell you just what you need..." voices will get you to go to mapped EFI in the end...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-11-2014, 03:05 PM
grahamjc grahamjc is offline
Website member
Fourth gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: London
Posts: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albrecht View Post
The OEM HItachi HJG46Ws are - in principle - a very simple and effective design. Unless they are worn out ( the throttle shafts tend to leak air a bit after 40+ years...) you might find it interesting / informative to have a go at optimising them yourself. Why not? Unlike your R35, the S30 is something that you can work on yourself...

Arm yourself with some factory literature ( the factory service manual for the L20A & L24 engines has a great chapter on the carbs ) to read in bed / in the bath / on the bus, roll your sleeves up and have a twiddle. What harm?

If it turns out they are 'tired' you can get refurbed ones from Z Therapy in the USA, but I have a feeling that temptation and those whispering "...I can sell you just what you need..." voices will get you to go to mapped EFI in the end...
Having someone local(ish) is purely for if/when I get it wrong already had an offer from another member and fellow owner to help me out, so will definitely be taking him up on that offer. So will most certainly be starting to do it myself....

Just been reading some old threads and have seen ZTherapy pop up quite a few times! So will definitely consider using them!

eBay a good place to start looking for the service manual? What other literature is suggested?

And thanks again to you and all the others that respond...... Im very new to these "older" so may need some pushing in the right direction.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 25-11-2014, 01:31 PM
grahamjc grahamjc is offline
Website member
Fourth gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: London
Posts: 806
Well looks like the 240z will be going in to be stripped (blasted), all rust repaired and rebuilt. Hoping to get the car in in December.

Areas that need attention:-
drivers side floorpan
drivers sill
drivers door
passenger sill
passenger door
passenger front fender
inner and outer on the fenders (old patch work)
sunroof is being removed
bumpers are being removed

So for now, I am looking for some exterior parts:-
Bullit fender mirrors
Front bumper - also the lower section
Rear bumper
Arch flares

So where is best to get these parts?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 25-11-2014, 02:00 PM
richiep's Avatar
richiep richiep is offline
Z Club member
Fifth gear
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Macclesfield, Cheshire
Posts: 2,431
Member 167
JDM fender mirrors - Japan. Yahoo Auctions Japan (via a proxy bidding service like Buyee, BidJDM,etc.). They also sometimes come up on eBay US and UK - chrome only though as the original black are hard to get. Get some chrome, scuff-sand, and respray.

Bumpers - stainless steel repros can be had from eBay or here: http://www.groupharrington.com/en/pa...z-bumpers.html

For cheaper originals, someone in the club might be able to help out. (I'd buy the stainless ones tbh)

Front valance and arch flares - talk to Mr. F on the forum (Mike Feeney, MJP Eastern Auto)

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 25-11-2014, 02:44 PM
grahamjc grahamjc is offline
Website member
Fourth gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: London
Posts: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by richiep View Post
JDM fender mirrors - Japan. Yahoo Auctions Japan (via a proxy bidding service like Buyee, BidJDM,etc.). They also sometimes come up on eBay US and UK - chrome only though as the original black are hard to get. Get some chrome, scuff-sand, and respray.

Bumpers - stainless steel repros can be had from eBay or here: http://www.groupharrington.com/en/pa...z-bumpers.html

For cheaper originals, someone in the club might be able to help out. (I'd buy the stainless ones tbh)

Front valance and arch flares - talk to Mr. F on the forum (Mike Feeney, MJP Eastern Auto)

Hope that helps.
Of course that helps thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 25-11-2014, 03:18 PM
zNathan's Avatar
zNathan zNathan is offline
Z Club member
Fourth gear
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 520
Member 973
Going for some flares eh Graham hehe you got any wheels in mind to fill them?

Any longer term plans for the engine?
__________________
1973 240z
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 25-11-2014, 04:57 PM
richiep's Avatar
richiep richiep is offline
Z Club member
Fifth gear
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Macclesfield, Cheshire
Posts: 2,431
Member 167
RE: mirrors, chrome set:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DATSUN-Bul...item339725d4ee

Black set:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DATSUN-FAI...item2eda04c780

Either way, the real deal ain't cheap! But they are real and work great IMO. Better than the door mirrors.

Cheap option often seen in use:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DATSUN-240...item4ae0b1cc6a
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 25-11-2014, 04:58 PM
grahamjc grahamjc is offline
Website member
Fourth gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: London
Posts: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by zNathan View Post
Going for some flares eh Graham hehe you got any wheels in mind to fill them?

Any longer term plans for the engine?
not decided on the wheels yet... but obviously the watanabe or something similar is on the list

engine is staying standard, I like it as is... although I may be tempted by some webbers
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 25-11-2014, 05:02 PM
grahamjc grahamjc is offline
Website member
Fourth gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: London
Posts: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by richiep View Post
RE: mirrors, chrome set:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DATSUN-Bul...item339725d4ee

Black set:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DATSUN-FAI...item2eda04c780

Either way, the real deal ain't cheap! But they are real and work great IMO. Better than the door mirrors.

Cheap option often seen in use:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DATSUN-240...item4ae0b1cc6a
Thanks... I like the chrome ones (but want black in colour - can easily be changed).

Dont mind the cheap ones......... hmmmm

also liking what I see at:-
http://www.thezstore.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:23 AM.

The Future Is Bright... The Future Is ZClub!

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ZClub.net, All Rights Reserved.