No username? Register here.
Go Back   ZClub.net > General > General discussion
MJP AUTO

Old 28-12-2017, 10:48 PM
Z Club member
First gear

Member 1099
The MOT test for 40 year old cars will be a voluntary opt in, not opt out, the test is non binding in theory. Your car will automatically be except from the MOT.
It is still your duty to ensure your car is road worthy, but each person might have a differing opinion of what this is.
The truth will be if you are being pulled by the police they will have suspicion that your car is not road worthy and if so you will be fined and or points.
Also however if you crash and you car is not road worthy then you car insurance might be null and void with all the implications this may have. A worst case would be that you kill a pedestrian because your brakes aren't working correctly and if these have not been inspected or serviced for a while its off to jail you go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-38066824

Any test you carry out on your car would be good for the car, but also good to keep paperwork to ensure if there was a incident you can demonstrate it was inspected and serviced. Perhaps the people who fix their own brakes at home would consider this implication.

Last edited by Dougs260z; 28-12-2017 at 10:58 PM..
Old 29-12-2017, 10:19 AM
Website member
Fourth gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougs260z View Post
Also however if you crash and you car is not road worthy then you car insurance might be null and void
Which raises another interesting point. Will some insurance companies start to refuse to insure historic vehicles which don't have an MOT?
Old 29-12-2017, 10:39 AM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDDLER View Post
Which raises another interesting point. Will some insurance companies start to refuse to insure historic vehicles which don't have an MOT?
I think that's just another dailymail headline. If its not roadworthy, it's on yourself so your insurance will just be void anyway.
Old 29-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Website member
Fourth gear

Having looked into this a little more it seems the situation is this:
To be exempt, you have to register your car as a vehicle of historic interest. If you don't do this then your position is the same as it is now, free tax and compulsory MoT.
If you do register it, have a voluntary MoT and it fails then you could still drive it, but you have a legal obligation to ensure your vehicle is roadworthy and could lay yourself open to prosecution for using an unroadworthy vehicle.
Because the MoT will be logged on the online system, the authorities will know and it could come up on a police ANPR as having no MoT.
Best advice is if you want to have your vehicle checked, get a professional to check it to MoT standards but don't have a formal MoT.
However, I think I will continue to get my car MOT'd for safety reasons and because it will show any future buyers you have been sensible and responsible with the car.
Old 29-12-2017, 12:53 PM
Z Club member
First gear

Member 1099
FYI

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...klist-vt29.pdf
Old 04-01-2018, 12:20 AM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDDLER View Post
Having looked into this a little more it seems the situation is this:
To be exempt, you have to register your car as a vehicle of historic interest. If you don't do this then your position is the same as it is now, free tax and compulsory MoT.
If you do register it, have a voluntary MoT and it fails then you could still drive it, but you have a legal obligation to ensure your vehicle is roadworthy and could lay yourself open to prosecution for using an unroadworthy vehicle.
Because the MoT will be logged on the online system, the authorities will know and it could come up on a police ANPR as having no MoT.
Best advice is if you want to have your vehicle checked, get a professional to check it to MoT standards but don't have a formal MoT.
However, I think I will continue to get my car MOT'd for safety reasons and because it will show any future buyers you have been sensible and responsible with the car.
Dont forget that an MOT is only a check for the road worthiness of the vehicle on that particular day.
Wether the car is 4 or 40 years old, the onus is still on you to maintain it in a safe and road worthy condition i.e. bald tyres and dodgy brakes will still get you in trouble with the law and your insurance company, even if the MOT was passed only a few weeks previous!

The issue is far more relevant IMO for corrosion related issues that may go unnoticed and not so much the less than ideal mechanical condition.
How often do you or someone else get to have a proper good look underneath the vehicle without it being at a garage, either up on a lift or over a pit?!

UK RHD 1976 260z 2+2
standard L28