No username? Register here.
Go Back   ZClub.net > General > General discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-08-2017, 10:33 AM
Woody928's Avatar
Woody928 Woody928 is offline
Z Club member
Third gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Surrey
Posts: 416
Member 1093
BAT Auction - 1971 240Z

I've followed the build of this car over in Greece through social media and love what the owner has done to it. I'll be very curious to see what the final hammer drops at but would imagine someone is going to pick up a very tastefully modified bit of kit.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-20/
__________________
1971 Datsun 240z - L26 - 918 Orange
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-08-2017, 11:27 AM
atomman atomman is offline
Website member
Third gear
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: swansea
Posts: 430
I've been watching this car to, a very similar car to to my current 240z build,

Daves car is a bit of an inspiration for my build to and i keep re-watching the Petrolicious video over and over again

I do wonder why he has kept it 4 speed though ? and i have no idea what "compition meatballs" are
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Albrecht Albrecht is offline
Website member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Up a ladder...
Posts: 3,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody928 View Post
...someone is going to pick up a very tastefully modified bit of kit.
It's all a matter of personal taste of course, but I don't see anything about that particular car which would mark it out as anything out of the ordinary in the 'taste' department. In fact, I'd say it's very much of the sliced white loaf variety...

You car - for example - looks miles better than that one.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Albrecht Albrecht is offline
Website member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Up a ladder...
Posts: 3,048
To add, combining 'Fairlady Z' emblems with the original '240Z' quarter panel emblems and 'Datsun' bonnet emblem just makes it look like he didn't know the early Japanese market models had 'Z' quarter panel emblems and 'Z' bonnet emblem...

'Tasteful' would be getting them all 'right', either one way or the other.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-08-2017, 12:41 PM
uk66fastback's Avatar
uk66fastback uk66fastback is online now
Z Club member
Fourth gear
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 1,295
Member 1052
I think nowadays the photography can help in presenting ANY car as desirable ...

Late in the day, a decent bit of shadow, pin sharp pics, a video (esp one involving a drone) ... and I could even be tempted by a hearing-aid beige Montego if the price was right.

I like this car - the mods are for me, NOT overdone. These slammed to the ground things with carbon pieces leave me cold!
__________________

Mike
1972 240Z US LHD ...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-08-2017, 02:31 PM
Woody928's Avatar
Woody928 Woody928 is offline
Z Club member
Third gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Surrey
Posts: 416
Member 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomman View Post
I've been watching this car to, a very similar car to to my current 240z build,

Daves car is a bit of an inspiration for my build to and i keep re-watching the Petrolicious video over and over again

I do wonder why he has kept it 4 speed though ? and i have no idea what "compition meatballs" are
Have you got a project thread? That video is why I bought my 240Z I love the premises of that car. Seems strange keeping the 4 speed you would have thought a 5 speed and diff change would have finished it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albrecht View Post
It's all a matter of personal taste of course, but I don't see anything about that particular car which would mark it out as anything out of the ordinary in the 'taste' department. In fact, I'd say it's very much of the sliced white loaf variety...

You car - for example - looks miles better than that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albrecht View Post
To add, combining 'Fairlady Z' emblems with the original '240Z' quarter panel emblems and 'Datsun' bonnet emblem just makes it look like he didn't know the early Japanese market models had 'Z' quarter panel emblems and 'Z' bonnet emblem...

'Tasteful' would be getting them all 'right', either one way or the other.
Good point well made. My comments were more sweeping with regard to the early car with later engine, suspension changes and bigger wheels with stickier rubber etc. I would like to think its a nice 'drivers car'. From the photos I've seen throughout it looks like its all been done to a very high standard.

I couldn't agree more on the Fairlady badges, I don't understand the need to try and make it look like a JDM car when its clearly not.

Thanks for the positive comments about my car though
__________________
1971 Datsun 240z - L26 - 918 Orange
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-08-2017, 02:48 PM
SeanDezart's Avatar
SeanDezart SeanDezart is offline
Z Club member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pouzauges 85700 France
Posts: 18,701
Member 559
Good point : what IS the car trying to be ?

It would look a whole lot better losing that front spoiler.

Badges aside (why not ?), I detest the 'oh, my rear bumper just fell off 5 miles back officer look' - it is SO unfinished and undignified for an S30 and where is the centre console ?

And the rest seems to have been a shopping trolly at MSA - and c'mon, who of you would fit triples with a standard exhaust manifold ?

With some more imagination, this could have been something with more class, that said, it will be driving somewhere so another Z back on the road - bravo for that.
__________________
A new Datsun era !

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zstor...6789934?ref=hl

Club Datsun-France www.datsun-france.com

I Love Zs.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-08-2017, 10:45 AM
Woody928's Avatar
Woody928 Woody928 is offline
Z Club member
Third gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Surrey
Posts: 416
Member 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanDezart View Post
Good point : what IS the car trying to be ?

It would look a whole lot better losing that front spoiler.

Badges aside (why not ?), I detest the 'oh, my rear bumper just fell off 5 miles back officer look' - it is SO unfinished and undignified for an S30 and where is the centre console ?

And the rest seems to have been a shopping trolly at MSA - and c'mon, who of you would fit triples with a standard exhaust manifold ?

With some more imagination, this could have been something with more class, that said, it will be driving somewhere so another Z back on the road - bravo for that.
Some kind of racer I believe Sean, there's some slightly conflicting details however its clearly to the current owners taste. I think the issue is that it has feet in both camps and isn't quite sure with some items stripped down for a racer look while trying to hold onto certain road car features.

I agree you would think they would have put at least a decent exhaust setup with the triples given the engines relatively stock nature. I'm sure they're fitted for soundtrack and posing more than anything else.

Even so there's several relatively easy changes that can be made to turn it into something quite nice whether that being more racy or road car orientated using some imagination. The bidding certainly suggests some people approve of it though, I'll watch with interest to see what this ends up going for.
__________________
1971 Datsun 240z - L26 - 918 Orange
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-08-2017, 04:30 PM
SeanDezart's Avatar
SeanDezart SeanDezart is offline
Z Club member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pouzauges 85700 France
Posts: 18,701
Member 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody928 View Post
Even so there's several relatively easy changes that can be made to turn it into something quite nice whether that being more racy or road car orientated using some imagination.
Agreed but a lot of expensive ones to make even a half-decent fast-road car....with complete taste.
__________________
A new Datsun era !

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zstor...6789934?ref=hl

Club Datsun-France www.datsun-france.com

I Love Zs.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-08-2017, 05:13 AM
SacCyclone's Avatar
SacCyclone SacCyclone is offline
Z Club member
Fourth gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sacramento California USA
Posts: 587
Member 1066
Been watching this too since it first popped up on BAT.

Very strong money so early in the game.

Will be just as interesting to see where the car lands as what the final price will be.

My guess: $36,000 and back to the Netherlands.

UK66FB- Mike????
__________________
Mike
1971 240Z Street/Track
1971 240Z Street
1973 240Z Ford V-8 Track
1967.5 Datsun 1600 Roadster
1969 Ford Torino 428 CJ
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-08-2017, 09:59 AM
johnymd's Avatar
johnymd johnymd is offline
Z Club member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: in denial
Posts: 5,431
Member 514
I like this car but then I am biased as I like nearly all s30's. There's a few things I'd change but it would still be nice to add it to the collection. The car was built by someone to his own taste. There is no right or wrong, just his personal preference. What I have always liked about zeds is that you are allowed to do whatever you like to your own car. I'm assuming this is still the case?

PS. I love my 4 speed as it requires less playing around with the clutch and gear stick.
__________________
Drives:

'73 240z 1JZ-GTE. Was pretty quick. 11.10@132.5mph
'72 240z RHD (4BOA) Being painted Orange. Bodyshop.
'72 240z LHD Black. Sold.
'73 240z LHD Green. Sold.
'73 240z LHD White. Sold - Future race car.
'73 240z LHD Blue. Sold.
'73 260z LHD Orange. Sold to a good home.
'70 240z LHD Yellow. On route and cant wait.
Skyline R33 GTS - Gone
Skyline R34 GTR - Gone
Toyota Surf 3.0TD

Go to: www.240z.me.uk to checkout the cars.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-08-2017, 10:25 AM
SeanDezart's Avatar
SeanDezart SeanDezart is offline
Z Club member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pouzauges 85700 France
Posts: 18,701
Member 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnymd View Post
What I have always liked about zeds is that you are allowed to do whatever you like to your own car. I'm assuming this is still the case?

PS. I love my 4 speed as it requires less playing around with the clutch and gear stick.
It is and we've always passed comments, still do and yours mirror the majority - "there's a few things I'd change" !

I prefer 5 for two reasons : distance driving and 1x extra to play with before the long top ratio.

I do, however, feel that since the Zs were available stock with 5spds in some countries (especially ours here) and the preceeding car was 5pd, there is a snob or perhaps 'non-conformist' reaction to those 4spd imported.
Unfair when comparing to contempory concurrence which were mostly 4spd including the Porsches.
__________________
A new Datsun era !

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zstor...6789934?ref=hl

Club Datsun-France www.datsun-france.com

I Love Zs.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Albrecht Albrecht is offline
Website member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Up a ladder...
Posts: 3,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanDezart View Post
I do, however, feel that since the Zs were available stock with 5spds in some countries (especially ours here) and the preceeding car was 5pd, there is a snob or perhaps 'non-conformist' reaction to those 4spd imported.
Unfair when comparing to contempory concurrence which were mostly 4spd including the Porsches.
More Porsche nonsense. What Porsches (contemporary to the car in question) were fitted with 4-speed transmissions as standard equipment? The answer is the softened-up and dumbed-down versions, just like the HLS30-U in question.

Meanwhile, properly sporting models of Porsches were fitted with 5-speed transmissions - just like properly sporting versions of the S30-series Z were.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-08-2017, 11:20 AM
franky franky is offline
Z Club member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: usually work
Posts: 3,221
Member 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albrecht View Post
More Porsche nonsense. What Porsches (contemporary to the car in question) were fitted with 4-speed transmissions as standard equipment? The answer is the softened-up and dumbed-down versions, just like the HLS30-U in question.

Meanwhile, properly sporting models of Porsches were fitted with 5-speed transmissions - just like properly sporting versions of the S30-series Z were.
Again, you can't argue with facts can you.

https://www.philosophersmag.com/essa...on-distinction
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Albrecht Albrecht is offline
Website member
Sixth gear
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Up a ladder...
Posts: 3,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnymd View Post
The car was built by someone to his own taste. There is no right or wrong, just his personal preference. What I have always liked about zeds is that you are allowed to do whatever you like to your own car. I'm assuming this is still the case?
Up to a point (Lord Copper), but if - for example - he put his emblems on upside down (because that was 'his personal preference'...) he'd have to expect people to tell him it was 'wrong'.

So, in the case of the emblems on this car (to illustrate the wider point) I don't feel confident that he had all the facts at hand, and that therefore his personal preference was not fully informed. I'd bet he had actually had no idea that the emblems were a mismatch.

Once you put a car on the open market, you have to expect - and accept - that people will pass comment on it. If you gratefully accept the positive comments, you have an obligation to accept the negatives too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:04 PM.

The Future Is Bright... The Future Is ZClub!

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © ZClub.net, All Rights Reserved.