No username? Register here.
Go Back   ZClub.net > General > General discussion
Click here to advertise with the ZClub

Old 10-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Website member
Fourth gear

Jason

All the Motor Trade Paint Suppliers stock the same stuff made by U-Pol - a big Manufacturer of refinishing products.
Forget the exact name and we use it in our Workshop, but if you describe it to them, they should know the exact name. Gives excellent results if you take your time, as well described above.

When you order the Aerosol for the texture stuff, get the Fine grade - it replicates the original perfectly.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 770
I do like the U-pol products.

this must be the paint:

U-POL Plast X Range 400ml Aerosols SPECIAL OFFER 32 OFF WAS 15 95 Selected Aerosols Only

This the filler:

U-POL PLAST-X Polyester Filler 600ml

or

http://www.autopaintsbrighton.co.uk/...80g-2663-p.asp

Data sheets seem to mean that they'd do they job?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Membership Secretary
Sixth gear

Member 214
Franky - not found any snakes yet then

Sand mmmm I know there's not much in the UK but folks still drive these car with tripples and no filters.

Aceman - That's a really good touch showing pics of 'her' working on the interior bits. I can't ever imagine my wife working on any car of mine. However I seem to remember you bought it as a 'joint venture' smart move!

Keep the posts coming guys.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Website member
Fourth gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Gaskin View Post
Franky - not found any snakes yet then

Sand mmmm I know there's not much in the UK but folks still drive these car with tripples and no filters.

Aceman - That's a really good touch showing pics of 'her' working on the interior bits. I can't ever imagine my wife working on any car of mine. However I seem to remember you bought it as a 'joint venture' smart move!

Keep the posts coming guys.

Ah, yes.. The wife..

It's an ongoing giggle on zxclub - they think she's hot as she doesn't mind getting her hands dirty with power tools and the like.. What they forget is she's very skilled with power tools - especially when using them to cut open chest cavities, amputate limbs and generally cut up parts of the human body!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
What they forget is she's very skilled with power tools - especially when using them to cut open chest cavities, amputate limbs and generally cut up parts of the human body!!!
Remind me to be nice to her at LM !

Sean Dézart
(33) 6 14 95 42 17
seanz@wanadoo.fr

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zstor...6789934?ref=hl

Club Datsun-France www.datsun-france.com

I Love Zs.
Old 13-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 770
No such thing as a rust free 240z

Well some small progress has been made.

Indicators/hazards will now be fine when the dash is back in the car, I had a good find of some new K-mac upgraded ARB's going for a good price which will come in useful later in the build.

However for now I thought i'd chip off the factory heat matting/sound insulation stuff as a few bits were showing signs of cracking, well i'm glad I did, it was a pain but it did show where moisture had become trapped with some light surface rust, 2 tiny patchs were through though. There was no way to see this at all without chipping away at the matting.

One bit is the size of a ten pence piece, the other about 7x7cm. I'm happy though as this is all i've found so far Pretty sure I can weld in 2 patch's and grind the welds back so it just looks like sheet metal, another thing to add to the list. I can't get in with my grit blaster so I need to treat the surface rust where it is.

For the rust and treatment i'm thinking about one of the dinitrol kits as a complete solution, also the anti chip.
http://www.rejel.com/rejel-store/lis...3/level/a.aspx

Has anyone used Dinitrol products or have any other suggestions?

Once i've done the patch's and treated/protected/painted the inside I was going to install some dynamat but i'm not sure now if it'd be a wise idea as it could trap moisture again, however it has lasted 42 years pretty well so far
Old 13-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Website member
Fourth gear

Franky there is nothing that 'fixes' rust ( I reckon you know that allready!)
Cut out the infected area and then cut some more out. Get back to decent steel.
Around any holes there will be minute perforations you may not see and if you grind the rust off the steel will be to thin...get back to decent steel.
If you have decent steel at the end off your repairs prepare it properly and 2 pack it. I wouldn't add 'wonderlayers' of magic stuff as these types of products were put on cars to extend the life of the steel till you have no comeback on the warranty. There are loads of products to clag on to steel supposedly to help but they don't in the long term. If you want to go better than 2 pack then there are very good epoxy coatings which have a good mechanical bond to steel and avoid the dreaded water entrapement between.
Old 14-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Website member
Fourth gear

Looks similar to ours we just did, although we were lucky and only had the surface rust. A lot of it looks worse than it is though..

Particularly in the boot just behind the storage compartments we had it worse:

But then a quick rub down with some petrol (to clean up the melted bitumen!) and it looked:

We have then used the Dinitrol products to provide a new coating to the metal (we rubbed it back by hand - I wish we had a blaster!!!!) but put loads of layers on (the more layers, the less likely oxygen or water will get through!). They seem pretty good (easy to apply and look to provide a quality coat/finish). Yes, we would prefered to have stripped the whole car and had it professionally done, but I can't imagine it being a lot better than what we have ended up with:

Old 02-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 770
Not much progress, Looking at Aceman's pics and a couple of cars i've seen have confirmed that I should attack the car properly, removing all traces of even the finest surface rust.

Found nothing but good news during further investigations, looks like it might have a new wing on it, Its a painful process removing the stonechip/underseal but it'll be worth the effort i'm sure. This is now long term project

Found plenty more sand everywhere which can only be better than rot.

just got to work out how to get under the car too...

Strange one this, I can't see any replacement panels at the front at all, also its got the original paint code stickers too, however the front seems to have some black brushed on paint, looks like a neat enough job, is this standard?
Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Website member
Sixth gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by franky View Post
Strange one this, I can't see any replacement panels at the front at all, also its got the original paint code stickers too, however the front seems to have some black brushed on paint, looks like a neat enough job, is this standard?
Don't worry, it's Factory. Done with a brush and a pot of satin black paint, it was just to shade the sheetmetal behind the grill ( not attractive to see the contrast colour either side of the rad showing through from behind ).
Old 03-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 770
Cheers Alan. It looked too neat to be done by an American body shop
Old 03-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Website member
Second gear

Aceman, when you say you rubbed it down with petrol to get ride of the traces of bitumen, how exactly did you rub it down? (without setting the car alight)
Old 30-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Website member
Fourth gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by franky View Post
Awesome, where did you end up getting the product from? Does it feel like a standard dash where its repaired?
Final product..

Took a while, and is not at the finish quality we want, but unfrotunately Le Mans Classic is approaching and this needs to get back in the car!!

It'll be out again in a couple of years for, likely, a leather finish being arranged, but for now, it's plenty good enough for a trek through France!
Old 30-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Membership Secretary
Sixth gear

Member 214
Well done - tbh a matt finish might be better. France in July will give you reflections in the screen.

Le Mans Classic is awesome - go to Arnage corner Sunday lunch for the last couple of races. Great atmosphere with a pint and a hot-dog!
Old 30-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Final product..

Took a while, and is not at the finish quality we want, but unfrotunately Le Mans Classic is approaching and this needs to get back in the car!!

It'll be out again in a couple of years for, likely, a leather finish being arranged, but for now, it's plenty good enough for a trek through France!
Well done, looks great! Also well done for being allowed it in the house

Which products did you use in the end?

Regards