No username? Register here.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:23 PM
1978 260z in yellow
Third gear

Member 1049
metric for nearly all of it.
my local supplier can match a lot of bolts too so can order mann different bolts with the correct thread.
i think the only origenal bolts i have bought for my z was the manifold bolts and studs from mike feeney.
the nuts were copper ones for bmw mini turbo available cheaply online.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:13 PM
Administrator
Fifth gear

Member 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk66fastback View Post
Don't get too excited ... minimum spend $500! (for international customers - so the UK)

Hopefully it might be a case of getting them here by other means - maybe in a car Mike ships or something ...

Ouch!!!! I do have regular travellers who can help on that front. May have to abuse friendships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
metric for nearly all of it.
my local supplier can match a lot of bolts too so can order mann different bolts with the correct thread.
i think the only origenal bolts i have bought for my z was the manifold bolts and studs from mike feeney.
the nuts were copper ones for bmw mini turbo available cheaply online.

Awesome. Already have studs and copper nuts courtesy of American ex-boss and his rage suitcase but very interested in knowing who the supplier is you use, if at all possible to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugrat View Post
Have you used any of these bolts yet? I have the same kit and used 4 of the M8 bolts to mount the steering rack. When I torqued them up the threads stripped (was only around 34Nm or so if I recall right). They were a massive PITA to remove again and I haven't used them since.

Not yet and that is very disappointing to hear! they look decent enough but now I will proceed with extreme caution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnymd View Post
I have the ones from LHD cars replated and they look like new. The UK ones are a bit too corroded. I don't give them any that are painted as then need to sit in the acid too long and that damages the clean bolts.

Good to know! Virtually all of mine have overspray courtesy of PO! 🙄 And good to know about the rust and acid issue. 👍

My thermostat housing bolts are very corroded - especially as there has been a long term weep there.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:35 PM
Website member
Fourth gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk66fastback View Post
Don't get too excited ... minimum spend $500! (for international customers - so the UK)

Hopefully it might be a case of getting them here by other means - maybe in a car Mike ships or something ...
Yes of course.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:33 PM
1978 260z in yellow
Third gear

Member 1049
http://www.cbhfasteners.co.uk/
these are the people i use.
ive yet to find something they cant get although most items ive had will have a alternative style head hence why i said if you change all of them most people wouldnt know.
they will also sell you one bolt (albeit an expensive way of doing it) so you dont have to worry about minimum orders.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:40 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 332
Quote:
don't use stainless in aluminium you get galvanic corrosion meaning over time you won't get them back out
I use this stuff https://www.nocorrosion.com/collecti...n-block-grease

Its also dielectric, so should reduce, if not actually stop any galvanic corrosion hopefully

UK RHD 1976 260z 2+2
standard L28
Old 05-01-2018, 08:50 PM
1978 260z in yellow
Third gear

Member 1049
if used carefully and you take precautions then you will probably get away with it.
i saw this a while back that put me off using stainless.
http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/basics.htm
i thought manufacturers used mild steel because it was so much cheaper than stainless but as it turns out that wasnt the only reason
Old 05-01-2018, 10:18 PM
Administrator
Fifth gear

Member 911
Nuts!! And Bolts too!

Wish I had seen that before spending 300 on the full car set

I figured given everything is labelled it would save me a heck of a lot of time + never rust!!

I have two thoughts - 1. tempted to carefully open each packet and document one packet a night (large blocks of time are very limited these days) and make the spreadsheet available as a club members' resource. Then carefully seal each one and ebay them.

2. Just eBay them sealed and put it down to experience.

I'm sure they are good for someone to use given they are made in the first place. Which brings a good question up: why on earth would they be made if they are so much trouble on a car / aluminium head etc!?

Ok third thought - what if they are zinc plated? Would they still suffer the galvanic reactions?
Old 05-01-2018, 10:27 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyinside View Post
Wish I had seen that before spending 300 on the full car set

I figured given everything is labelled it would save me a heck of a lot of time + never rust!!

I have two thoughts - 1. tempted to carefully open each packet and document one packet a night (large blocks of time are very limited these days) and make the spreadsheet available as a club members' resource. Then carefully seal each one and ebay them.

2. Just eBay them sealed and put it down to experience.

I'm sure they are good for someone to use given they are made in the first place. Which brings a good question up: why on earth would they be made if they are so much trouble on a car / aluminium head etc!?

Ok third thought - what if they are zinc plated? Would they still suffer the galvanic reactions?
Measure
Old 05-01-2018, 10:37 PM
Administrator
Fifth gear

Member 911
Thought you may be the first to say that 😜👍
Old 06-01-2018, 02:13 AM
1978 260z in yellow
Third gear

Member 1049
the reason they make them is there`s plenty of people willing to pay for it not knowing the consequences.
your right it is rather naughty.

on the other hand if you plated them or treated them with something you would help prevent the process of galvanic reaction but if your going down that road you may as well stick with standard fixings.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:16 AM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 332
Quote:
if used carefully and you take precautions then you will probably get away with it.
i saw this a while back that put me off using stainless.
http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/basics.htm
i thought manufacturers used mild steel because it was so much cheaper than stainless but as it turns out that wasnt the only reason
Galvanic issues aside, this is exactly the reason i stated in an earlier post, i only use Stainless fittings on non loaded/high stressed components.
So pretty much everything is Stainless where possible in the engine bay, except the engine mount bolts, starter motor bolts and the manifold nuts.
And only use A2-70 or A2-80 quality.

Chrome plated steel is a half way house, same tensile strength but better corrosion resistance than zinc plating, but its pricey

UK RHD 1976 260z 2+2
standard L28