No username? Register here.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:42 PM
Administrator
Fifth gear

Member 911
Nuts!! And Bolts too!

So gang, been spending the odd hour here and there getting engine out and the engine bay ready (will start a thread on it when time allows).

I really would love to replace the chocolate coloured nuts and bolts with something shiny, new and yellow zincish.

Any recommendations on bolt kits or where to buy?

I have this bad boy, but it's not got the right bits for the engine bay. So is there somewhere you have used / would recommend for such things?

Or should I just get the existing bolts blasted and played instead?

I am aware of the stainless steel kits but wondering if someone does an equivalent in zinc plated tensile steel?
Old 04-01-2018, 10:09 PM
Z Club member
Second gear

Member 1085
I’ve looked everywhere for a decent selection of fasteners, outside of the US / Japan I found it’s almost impossible to find JIS spec (with the smaller heads) or even decent quantities of SEMs fasteners that are affordable. I’d be interested to see what you come up with.
I tried to read the email address on you pack, where did they come from?

As an engineer on a plant that uses almost exclusively stainless I would recommend staying away from it. Tensile strength wise A4 is close to an 8.8 bolt, but tends to pick up really quickly and seize, dry moly spray will help.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:09 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 332
Ive searched extensively for exactly the same reason, ive come to the conclusion, your better off getting what you can, if its reusable, plated.
Its hard to come by the correct bolt sizes with the proper Japanese JIS type bolt heads and nuts, most of the stuff available has a head 2 spanner sizes bigger in most cases, so some simply wont fit right and if they do work, look wrong if close to a proper JIS fitting

I did manage to get some bolts of limited varying lengths with JIS heads from a place in Germany, but they are Bright Zinc Plated without the yellow passivate as on the OE bolts. Ironically It does actually say on the packaging 'made in Japan'!
Im not a big fan of the yellow colour so it didnt matter to me

Any non stressed fittings, ive simply swapped for Stainless Steel, some of these came from Germany, so are JIS equivalent, others not.

Hope that helps

UK RHD 1976 260z 2+2
standard L28

Last edited by toopy; 04-01-2018 at 10:23 PM..
Old 04-01-2018, 10:20 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 332

like this but the washers are not captive, and they are fully threaded, where as some of the OE bolts arent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JIS M6 Zinc 1.JPG (2.10 MB, 75 views)

UK RHD 1976 260z 2+2
standard L28

Last edited by toopy; 04-01-2018 at 10:28 PM..
Old 04-01-2018, 10:49 PM
Administrator
Fifth gear

Member 911
Thanks fellas. All great insights / advice.

I got that lot from 'stralia via eBay - here's a better pic. Cost 100ish after postage and customs thievery.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222136671259

Was going to mail the guy to ask if he has other Z friendly bolt sets.

Toopey - do you find the S/S bolts stay tight? I read somewhere that they don't "stretch" like tensile steel bolts when torqued and have a tendency to "shake loose" after a while. Would be interesting to hear your experience.

Also been reading about potential differences of different metals and galvanic reactions: it's a lot more complicated than I imagined!!! But also explains why some of the non-original bolts the PO put on the car turned to chocolate and sheered!

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/e...ial-d_482.html
Old 04-01-2018, 11:07 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyinside View Post
Toopey - do you find the S/S bolts stay tight? I read somewhere that they don't "stretch" like tensile steel bolts when torqued and have a tendency to "shake loose" after a while. Would be interesting to hear your experience.

Also been reading about potential differences of different metals and galvanic reactions: it's a lot more complicated than I imagined!!! But also explains why some of the non-original bolts the PO put on the car turned to chocolate and sheered!

None of the SS bolts have come loose, but then i always tend to use a split/spring washer anyway!
When replacing/refitting any non stressed bolts SS or Steel, i always use a bit of grease on the thread, be that Copper, LM or some proper water proof stuff, for bolts likely to get sprayed with water i.e. spoiler fittings and bolts that emerge through the inner wings from the engine bay side.
Obviously anything requiring a proper torque setting is not greased, but that would likely be chassis/running gear related and therefore not SS anyway.

UK RHD 1976 260z 2+2
standard L28
Old 04-01-2018, 11:12 PM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 770
remember to buy yourself a proper JIS screwdriver set, 3 pc on ebay for about 22.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:22 PM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by franky View Post
remember to buy yourself a proper JIS screwdriver set, 3 pc on ebay for about 22.
Good point, I havent got myself one yet for the normal type round head screws, but for the bolt head type i always use a spanner or socket anyway, especially for OE bolts that are less than perfect, even a proper JIS screwdriver will chew those!

UK RHD 1976 260z 2+2
standard L28
Old 05-01-2018, 12:53 AM
1978 260z in yellow
Third gear

Member 1049
don't use stainless in aluminium you get galvanic corrosion meaning over time you won't get them back out and as already pointed out the tensile strength can be a bit all over the place trying to match like for like tension.
i changed most of the fastenings on mine for plated standardised fastenings as they're much easier to come by even chrome plated.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:46 AM
Website member
Fourth gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by franky View Post
Franky, any recommendations on JIS screwdriver sets.

I see Hozan and Vessel brands on US e-bay but I have not heard of either of these brands before. I find the standard phillips head does not fit secure on my Z car screws.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-01-2018, 08:26 AM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 770
Vessel are nice quality.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:56 AM
Administrator
Fifth gear

Member 911
Nuts!! And Bolts too!

Thanks again chaps.

Jimbo, when you say standard fasteners, do you refer to JIS or metric?

Also I just found this link, prices seem reasonable but I haven't looked in too much detail yet to find all the bolts I need.

http://www.zed-parts.com/jis-fasteners

And this looks promising ...

https://newcoproducts.com/JISFasteners.html

And looks like we've been here before ....

http://zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26866

Last edited by smileyinside; 05-01-2018 at 09:04 AM..
Old 05-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Z Club member
Sixth gear

Member 514
I have the ones from LHD cars replated and they look like new. The UK ones are a bit too corroded. I don't give them any that are painted as then need to sit in the acid too long and that damages the clean bolts.

'73 240z 1JZ-GTE. Was pretty quick. 11.10@132.5mph
'72 240z RHD (4BOA) Painted and waiting assembly.
'72 240z LHD Silver "Rat look" daily runaround.
'76 280z ExLHD Red v8 Lexus powered restomod.
'74 260z LHD Restomod just started.
'71 240z LHD zg arched. Still in California.

Go to: www.240z.me.uk to checkout the cars.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:37 AM
Z Club member
Second gear

Member 968
Quote:
Thanks fellas. All great insights / advice.

I got that lot from 'stralia via eBay - here's a better pic. Cost 100ish after postage and customs thievery.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222136671259

Was going to mail the guy to ask if he has other Z friendly bolt sets.

Have you used any of these bolts yet? I have the same kit and used 4 of the M8 bolts to mount the steering rack. When I torqued them up the threads stripped (was only around 34Nm or so if I recall right). They were a massive PITA to remove again and I haven't used them since.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:50 AM
Z Club member
Fourth gear

Member 1052
Quote:
And this looks promising ...

https://newcoproducts.com/JISFasteners.html
Don't get too excited ... minimum spend $500! (for international customers - so the UK)

Hopefully it might be a case of getting them here by other means - maybe in a car Mike ships or something ...

Mike
1972 240Z US LHD ...