PDA

View Full Version : Do I need the AAR (Auxilary Air Regulator)?

Mr.G
17-06-2005, 11:21 PM
I know it's there for a reason, to aid cold starting, but I am trying to go for the clean intake look and I am wondering how essential it is?

On a cold day will it just run rough for a while until warm?

Mr.F
18-06-2005, 12:51 AM
The air regulator provides the extra air required to combust the additional fuel injected when the engine is cold. Without it your engine will run rich when cold and will probably foul its plugs.

When you convert to an aftermarket injection control system, you won't need it, but until then keep it in place.

Mr.G
18-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks Mike, will take your advise.

Mr.G
21-09-2005, 10:57 PM
How does the aftermarket standalone injection system handle cold starting then?

If sensors tell it the engine is cold and there is no way of allowing more air into the TB then how is it possible to get round this? Would I have to fit some sort of choke mechanism, which would open the TB valve a bit wider?

Mr.F
22-09-2005, 01:15 AM
Air is moderated by careful application of right foot and engine will run a bit rough when cold - no big deal...you can kid yourself you have a lumpy cam, blueprinted tolerances, forged pistons or something to get in the right mind-set.

Mr.G
22-09-2005, 11:57 AM
lol and I thought a stand alone engine management system was supposed to be high tech!

chef
23-09-2005, 01:33 AM
did away with my cold start years ago , made no difference,maybe advice too late but just picked it up so i thought i would mention it

hope it helps,
chef
:280Z: :)

Mr.G
23-09-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks Chef, I am going to ditch it too.

Been reading up on the Japanese Domestic Market EFI Zs of the time and they used a Stepper Motor to control a throttle body which had two throttle butterfly valves, and thus this handled the AAR's job. Pretty clever ECU for those days.